Problem installing Emby on Mint 17.3 x32 for a noob

roywood

roywood

(First post; Linux noob; be patient) post-126941-0-29239500-1460057175_thumb.pngI am new to Linux and am trying to install Emby server.  I am running Linux Mint 17.3 x32. I have following the guide here (http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/32137-installing-emby-on-linux-mint-173-x64/?hl=%2Bmint+%2B17.3) but am getting errors of which I will attach a picture.  I captured the error messages after the second failed install attempt. Any help would be appreciated.

thefirstofthe300

So have you followed the installation instructions for Ubuntu 14.04 on the download page? emby.media/download

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Edited by thefirstofthe300

roywood

So have you followed the installation instructions for Ubuntu 14.04 on the download page? emby.media/download

Yes. Twice.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

thefirstofthe300

Have you run

apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade

before

apt-get install emby-server

roywood

Have you run

before
No. Would I run that before the install attempt or after a failed attemp? I will attempt to run that but I'm back to the computer. Thank you.

thefirstofthe300

You need to run that before you can install.  Apt-get has a feature that prevents packages from being over-written by new packages from a repo you added.  It essentially allows you to get one package from a repo while preventing your system from being potentially borked due to system-critical dependencies being upgraded.  In this case, Emby needs the new Mono packages from our repo (which are critical for other applications like KeePass but the update will NOT bork your system or screw up KeePass).

The apt-get man pages should explain it better

upgrade
    upgrade is used to install the newest versions of all packages
    currently installed on the system from the sources enumerated in
    /etc/apt/sources.list. Packages currently installed with new
    versions available are retrieved and upgraded; under no
    circumstances are currently installed packages removed, or packages
    not already installed retrieved and installed. New versions of
    currently installed packages that cannot be upgraded without
    changing the install status of another package will be left at
    their current version. An update must be performed first so that
    apt-get knows that new versions of packages are available.

dist-upgrade
    dist-upgrade in addition to performing the function of upgrade,
    also intelligently handles changing dependencies with new versions
    of packages; apt-get has a "smart" conflict resolution system, and
    it will attempt to upgrade the most important packages at the
    expense of less important ones if necessary. So, dist-upgrade
    command may remove some packages. The /etc/apt/sources.list file
    contains a list of locations from which to retrieve desired package
    files. See also apt_preferences(5) for a mechanism for overriding
    the general settings for individual packages.

roywood

You need to run that before you can install. Apt-get has a feature that prevents packages from being over-written by new packages from a repo you added. It essentially allows you to get one package from a repo while preventing your system from being potentially borked due to system-critical dependencies being upgraded. In this case, Emby needs the new Mono packages from our repo (which are critical for other applications like KeePass but the update will NOT bork your system or screw up KeePass).

Ok. Will do and report back.

roywood

Have you run

before

Nothing.  Here are the screen shots of the three error messages I got.  One after

sudo apt-get update

5706f52deb0af_Shot1.png

The second after

5706f57231ab2_Shot2.png

And the third after

sudo apt-get install emby-server

5706f5829472d_shot3.png

thefirstofthe300

Try

wget http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:emby/xUbuntu_14.04/Release.key
sudo apt-key add - < Release.key
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

roywood

Try

wget http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:emby/xUbuntu_14.04/Release.key
sudo apt-key add - < Release.key
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Do I need to do that after

sudo sh -c "echo 'deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/emby/xUbuntu_14.04/ /' >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/emby-server.list"sudo apt-get update

thefirstofthe300

You should only ever have to run

sudo sh -c "echo 'deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/emby/xUbuntu_14.04/ /' >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/emby-server.list"

once.  Ever.  That just adds a file to tell apt where emby-server is.  Once that file is created, it is permanent.

So the answer is just copy & paste my commands into the terminal.

• Like 1

roywood

Its doing it's thing. I am curious can I copy all commands at one or run them one line at a time?

roywood

You should only ever have to run

sudo sh -c "echo 'deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/emby/xUbuntu_14.04/ /' >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/emby-server.list"

once.  Ever.  That just adds a file to tell apt where emby-server is.  Once that file is created, it is permanent.

So the answer is just copy & paste my commands into the terminal.

This popped up.  What should I do?

5706fbed7f39b_Error.png

thefirstofthe300

Hmmm. If that happened at the dist-upgrade part, it is probably asking if you really want to upgrade mono, which you do. I would select d though to see the difference S between the versions just to make sure.

roywood

Hmmm. If that happened at the dist-upgrade part, it is probably asking if you really want to upgrade mono, which you do. I would select d though to see the difference S between the versions just to make sure.

5706ff7d6d051_D.png

thefirstofthe300

Now THAT is odd.  We shouldn't even be touching that file.  @@hurricanehrndz Any ideas why this would be appearing?

roywood

Now THAT is odd.  We shouldn't even be touching that file.  @@hurricanehrndz Any ideas why this would be appearing?

So what do you suggest I do in the meantime? Just leave terminal open and dont touch anything?

thefirstofthe300

Just type N.  Based on what I have seen, Mint changed something and have a program that will automatically change that back if it changes (it shouldn't though if you just type N).  Honestly, I am wondering what the heck is causing it though.

roywood

Just type N.  Based on what I have seen, Mint changed something and have a program that will automatically change that back if it changes (it shouldn't though if you just type N).  Honestly, I am wondering what the heck is causing it though.

So i tried that but this morning and it hung up.  restarted everything and tried to run from top.  Got this error message once i tried to re sudo apt-get install emby-server (I may just enstall Ubuntu and quit mint.  I am just putting linux on this old laptop for first time so i wouldnt be out much.  will wait until it seems like no answer exists for my current problem.)

57079de80bdc6_latest.png

geaves

My best guess to the above error is that emby is listed twice in the syanptic package list if you follow this from the link in your first post;

1. Open a terminal Ctrl+Alt+T
  2. Type in sudo apt-get remove --purge emby-server
  3. When finished type sudo apt-get autoremove
  4. Start Synaptic Package Manager, go into settings, repositories, PPA and delete anything related to Emby, then close synaptic.
  5. Reboot
  6. From the terminal do sudo apt-get update, follow the information here for xUbuntu 14.04, I would suggest running the first section only, in other words don't add the key.
  7. If at the end of the installation, you get an error regarding dpkg with a message (error code 1) then type sudo apt-get install -f
  8. The installation will continue.

The above steps should work, the broken packages error is probably down to two entries in the /etc/apt/sources.list.d/emby-server.list 

roywood

My best guess to the above error is that emby is listed twice in the syanptic package list if you follow this from the link in your first post;

1. Open a terminal Ctrl+Alt+T
  2. Type in sudo apt-get remove --purge emby-server
  3. When finished type sudo apt-get autoremove
  4. Start Synaptic Package Manager, go into settings, repositories, PPA and delete anything related to Emby, then close synaptic.
  5. Reboot
  6. From the terminal do sudo apt-get update, follow the information here for xUbuntu 14.04, I would suggest running the first section only, in other words don't add the key.
  7. If at the end of the installation, you get an error regarding dpkg with a message (error code 1) then type sudo apt-get install -f
  8. The installation will continue.

The above steps should work, the broken packages error is probably down to two entries in the /etc/apt/sources.list.d/emby-server.list 

I tried that but it is saying emby server is not installed so not removed

geaves

Ok now we're getting somewhere because that suggests that this line

has not been added to the sources list therefore it can't be uninstalled, therefore doing sudo apt-get update, then sudo apt-get install emby-server produces the errors you are seeing.

You could also do apt-cache policy in a terminal and paste the output here.

Because you are using Mint, from Nemo, select file system, then etc directory, then apt, then sources.list.d in that directory you should see a file emby-server.list

If not then Emby is not on your system;

So from a terminal Ctrl+Alt+T copy and paste the following;

sudo sh -c "echo 'deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/emby/xUbuntu_14.04/ /' >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/emby-server.list" press enter/return

then sudo apt-get update press enter/return

then sudo apt-get install emby-server 

that's it.....Emby will install.....I no longer have this on my Mint box but I am running the same version as you 17.3 Rosa and it will install.