If only people would use the search option

CBers

CBers

People ask the same questions over and over again.

If only people would use the search option before posting the same question.

If there is an issue with the search option, then we can look at the problem.

b0dyr0ck2006

Some people are new to forums, some don't even realise there is a search. I see the same type of post over and over on numerous forums, it will never change. Put a sticky up or use your mod tools and move/edit or advise. [emoji1303]

Vidman

Maybe Tapatalk is part of the problem? It is what I mostly use and it's search features are abysmal

• Like 1

chef

Stackoverflow admins are always posting a link to the duplicate question.

It happens quite a bit over there (as you can imagine new coders always ask the same questions).

I really like how the admins deal with situations here with regards to making sure logs are posted, or referring the person to the github wiki. These are all good ideas.

I always refer my staff to the "How to Cook Menu Items" book in our kitchen. Lol!

Perhaps we do what stackoverflow does and post a link back to the OP: "This is a duplicate questions asked here: {link}".

But, that does seem impersonal, and sometimes reading those posts on stackoverflow makes you feel like your question was redirected in a bad way.

Tranquil

Stackoverflow admins are always posting a link to the duplicate question.

It happens quite a bit over there (as you can imagine new coders always ask the same questions).

Thats quite a good solution. If I think about, how often I used google to find an answer to a problem, found a link into a forum and there was only one reply to exactly my problem "This problem was often discussed, use search function", so I did and still: often I did not found ist.

Koleckai Silvestri

Search is often problematic. Most searches are boolean and not natural language. This provides more results than you really want. 

Providing a link to the duplicate and closing the topic would be the best way to handle this. It would condition people to look deeper over time. However when you get into support issues, this causes problems of its own. As many issues might display the same symptoms but have different causes. When you start adding logs, screenshots and so forth, it can make it difficult to handle individual issues and someone will get overlooked.

• Like 1

When people do actually find the existing topic, we could use positive reinforcement to reward correct behavior:

• Like 8

Untoten

Forum searches have scarred me for life, I hardly ever ever ever use them.  That is why, forum search tools are some of the worst functioning pieces of technology I have seen.

chef

When people do actually find the existing topic, we could use positive reinforcement to reward correct behavior:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy_mIEnnlF4&t=6

I think this is perfect. Let's do the opposite and spray them with a water bottle when they do the wrong things...

I wonder if that works in my kitchen????....

I'll let you know...

Edited by chef
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...
CharleyVarrick

I was looking for the search button yesterday, never found it, I thought "that's odd, a support forum without search feature, they must be getting a ton of redundant question"

It could definitely punch out a little more, its pretty low profile as it is

There could even be a "Search here before posting" next to it

I was looking for the search button yesterday, never found it, I thought "that's odd, a support forum without search feature, they must be getting a ton of redundant question"

It could definitely punch out a little more, its pretty low profile as it is

There could even be a "Search here before posting" next to it

Good day,

If I understand you correctly, then it very clear to see it, as well the advanced search option:

58303bf19c842_20161119_143119.jpg

My best

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I have an issue with the Forum Search.

Search itself works fine. The problem I have is that after viewing one of the result threads, there is no way - that I can see - to return directly to the search results page. Thus, forcing me to run the search again or click the back button on the browser, which doesn't mark the thread as read. This makes it difficult to know where I got to. Can something be done to fix this please.

AdrianW

... there is no way - that I can see - to return directly to the search results page. 

That's what browser tabs are for. Middle click the result to open the thread in a different tab, you can then easily return to the results by clicking the first tab.

Same thing applies to all searches on the internet including google searches.

I guess it's different on a phone or a tablet - but surely they have a method to open links in a new tab.

Edited by AdrianW
  • Like 2

yes, that would work, trick is to remember to middle click... I would much prefer there be a Back button on the Forum page if that's possible.

EDIT: That definitely works - except it doesn't mark the thread as "Read", even after you closed the new tab.

Edited by jordy

CBers

I have an issue with the Forum Search.

Search itself works fine. The problem I have is that after viewing one of the result threads, there is no way - that I can see - to return directly to the search results page. Thus, forcing me to run the search again or click the back button on the browser, which doesn't mark the thread as read. This makes it difficult to know where I got to. Can something be done to fix this please.

Whenever I do a search and enter one of the results, pressing the BACK button in my browser takes me back to the search results page.

I use Chrome.

Yes CBers, I use it that way too, but if you don't find what you are looking for in the first thread you check, using the back button in the browser doesn't mark the thread as read. which is a pain.

CBers

Yes CBers, I use it that way too, but if you don't find what you are looking for in the first thread you check, using the back button in the browser doesn't mark the thread as read. which is a pain.

Not sure it's designed to do that.

@@Abobader ??

• Like 1

Good day,

Not sure it's designed to do that.

@@Abobader ??

The forum do not have anything to do about that, yes the forum cache get in the way, but if you do "again" the search from start, what threads you read, it will mark as read, using back key it browsing issue.

In a word you are correct.

I normally use this:

That's what browser tabs are for. Middle click the result to open the thread in a different tab, you can then easily return to the results by clicking the first tab.

Same thing applies to all searches on the internet including google searches.

I guess it's different on a phone or a tablet - but surely they have a method to open links in a new tab.

As problem solved:

yes, that would work, trick is to remember to middle click... I would much prefer there be a Back button on the Forum page if that's possible.

EDIT: That definitely works - except it doesn't mark the thread as "Read", even after you closed the new tab.

:)

As I recall it, we got some delay problem with users session cache update, that mainly with the forum operational issue not going update to our server sql server, but these issue been fixed.

My best

• Like 1