Thumbnails during scrubbing

David Martin

David Martin

I have no idea if its possible or not but it'd be a great feature to have something like what Netflix where as you skip through an episode or movie there is like a live preview of what it'd skip to. I'll attach a picture to show what I'm on about.

5703f9243243a_Netflix.png

• Like 9

And Apple TV if you have your content in Apple-friendly format (mp4).

To do this in other apps would be neat but potentially very expensive since we'd have to generate a ton of thumbs for all of your content.

Netflix can do this easily because you are all watching the exact same media so they only have to do it one time.

• 1 year later...
ShadowBlade72

I'm bringing this back from the dead as this was a feature that I really enjoyed with Plex. It's so much easier to scrub through a TV show or movie to skip intros or skip commercials when you can see a preview of where you'll end up.

I have a server which is plenty powerful and tons of storage space. Would love to see the "Chapter" extraction be able to be tweaked so I can have it generate thumbnails every xx seconds.

• Like 1

LilDog1291

Yes! This is the one thing keeping me from doing a full conversion to Emby from Plex right now. Everything else is here. I have a 500GB SSD drive dedicated to just metadata on Plex right now so space and speed are not a problem. This is a huge quality of life improvement from a viewing standpoint.

Jdiesel

Plex also uses the thumbnails on the server dashboard currently playing items which is a nice touch that I miss.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
Karl Blixt

I'll revive this again to affirm that this feature is still wanted. I enjoy it very much on plex and I don't mind the space that it use up. I have plenty of space and left over cpu time that could work on this.

It's very nice to have it on apple-TV (if mp4) and roku but adding it to phones and browser clients would be excellent. also none mkv support for Apple TV would be great since I prefer the flexibility of the container, although Plex don't have it so I'm unsure it's technically doable. 

Edited by Karl Blixt
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
Firerouge

I'll revive this again to affirm that this feature is still wanted. I enjoy it very much on plex and I don't mind the space that it use up. I have plenty of space and left over cpu time that could work on this.

Also bumping this as a feature that would be real nice to have, either as a scheduled task, or better still as a just in time operation once a video starts streaming or converting for the first time.

• Like 1

ShadowBlade72

I'll drop back in here as well. It's been two years since this feature was first brought up. It'd be great to get an update on this feature. Is this on the roadmap?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
echoghost

pointed to here from another thread. just another indication that emby that should absolutely implement this, plex does it. it's a reason i'm considering just going back to plex personally. 

it would be great to know if emby is actually planning on adding this, we all know 

it's something we'd like to add

means basically nothing and that this thread could be open indefinitely with phrases like that. is it something we should realistically expect to actually happen or just wishful thinking on everyone's part.

funwithmedia

it's something we'd like to add

In my experience on this forum those responses are genuine, and not some kind of patronizing response. There's a bazillion requests for features (I know that I've added a number to that list!) and the developers have to prioritize based on relative demand (and the time-cost involved in implementing a given feature). My experience has been that if they don't see a given request as being something they are likely to implement then they will say so (and usually suggest the idea be developed as a community plugin), but if they say it is something that they want to implement then I interpret them to mean that. Now, the timing of implementation is often uncertain, but that doesn't make the stated intention to implement any less genuine. :)

I should have said that it's planned for the future. That is a better response than what I gave. Thanks.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I should have said that it's planned for the future. That is a better response than what I gave. Thanks.

I do not want to be annoying, but any news?

Really looking forward to this feature on Nvidia Shield TV.

Edited by Deathmo

earratia14

Adding my voice to this request.

It is one of the features I miss from Plex.

The chapter images help a little, but a preview thumbnails as you forward or rewind are far more useful and hints at a more mature video player.

Thanks.

Really looking forward to this feature on Nvidia Shield TV.

If you are direct playing the item (which on the Shield should normally be the case) and you pause and then start skipping, the video should update to the current frame as you skip.  Not exactly the same but part way there.

• Like 1

miniliQuid

+ 1
Even though I think it is good the way it is right now with chapter extraction, this would make it even better :)

jblaze12

Thanks for the update and insight on the "not patronizing" perspective. Based on the 3.6 beta (synology), I'm extremely happy with my overall experience. The fact these devs are responding to damn near everyone (even if it's "this is a good idea") and have a great product that's only getting better...I'm totally supportive.

I'm empathizing with the devs ova' here!

• Like 1

Deathmo

If you are direct playing the item (which on the Shield should normally be the case) and you pause and then start skipping, the video should update to the current frame as you skip.  Not exactly the same but part way there.

Thx , I didn't know that.

Nevertheless I hope, that this feature will be added soon.

It is the only thing I'am missing, since I switched from Plex to Emby.

And HDR doesn't seem to work.

Plex, Kodi and VLC trigger  HDR.

Otherwise I'am very pleased with Emby.

Edited by Deathmo