Nested Collections and CoverArt

ulrick65

ulrick65

I have been using MB2 for a long time and just now found the time to convert over to MB3.  With just over 1500 movies, it was not a task I was looking for too...but I must say the conversion was painless.

Along with this, I have decided to take the time to update all the artwork, covers, etc. for all my media (was still using stark covers).  I have reverted all my covers back to original .jpg's and now use CoverArt for everything.  In particular, for Collections (and boxsets) I use the "fan" treatment.

One question I have is:  What is the difference between a collection and boxset?

The issue I am having is with "nested collections".  What I mean by this is have a few collections that I have nested inside collections.  For example, I have a Batman Collection (with a collection.xml and accompanying folder.jpg and backdrop.jpg).  Inside that I have Batman Anthology Collection and The Dark Knight Collection (each with corresponding xml's, jpg's, etc.).  Then inside those I have the actual movie folders.

The issue is that CoverArt dresses the Batman Anthology and Dark Knight Collections correctly (as a fan)...but the parent Collection (Batman Collection) gets a clearcase treatment (with the blu-ray spine).  I do not have that treatment selected anywhere in the CoverArt settings.

My guess is that it does not recognize the nested folders correctly...but maybe there is a setting somewhere that I am missing?

Here's what the folder structure looks like.  The "Batman Collection" level does not get the "fan" treatment...the ones below that do.

52bdee1b90cfe_screenshot.jpg

Thanks.

Koleckai Silvestri

Add the tag [boxset] to the collection folder names. You may also look at what the actual collection names are and name your folders accordingly.

Edited by Wayne Luke

Unfortunately, this is confusing because a lot of other products (and places like tmdb) use the term "Collection" to mean what we call a Box Set.

MB started using the term "Collection" several years ago to refer to a sub-set of your media that you set up and wanted to see as a top level item in the interface.  This was before we even supported any form of what we now call Box Sets.

We are internally discussing changing this terminology to be less confusing.  That is, no longer calling those groups of media locations you define in the dashboard "collections" and coming up with a new name for them.  The process will probably make it more confusing for a while but then we will at least be using the same terminology as others.

ulrick65

Add the tag [boxset] to the collection folder names. You may also look at what the actual collection names are and name your folders accordingly.

That doesn't work, I already tried it (just tried it again to be sure).  I believe that MB is recognizing the folder as a box set already (because it has a collection.xml file in it) because it is being displayed in the "Box Set" view (see screenshot below) it is just that CoverArt puts the wrong treatment on it.  Notice in the screenshot below that all the other Box Sets have the "fan" treatment...but this folder gets the clearcase.  I assume it has something to do with the fact that it is like a "box set" of "box sets" if you will... box sets nested in a "box set" (see the above screen shot of the folder tree).

Thanks.

52be29f9c47c9_boxset.jpg

Koleckai Silvestri

If you go into Batman Collection, can you add your own metadata by editing it? Should be able to add images as well.

Brendon

ok i was always under the impression MB wouldn't go that deep i.e. you couldn't have a collection inside a collection.

probably a dumb question but do you have the collection.xml in the topmost batman folder, the one named Batman Collection?

Edited by Brendon

ulrick65

If you go into Batman Collection, can you add your own metadata by editing it? Should be able to add images as well.

Yes, I can add my own metadata to it, including an image but I don't allow MB to write to folder as I maintain all my own metadata with metabrowser.  However, even if I did that would fix the issue because CoverArt is "treating" the image with the clearcase.  I suppose I could add an image to the folder and tell CoverArt to ignore that folder...but I don't know how to create the proper "fan" image and even if I did, that would be kind of clunky, since this is not the only "nested box set" I have and wouldn't want to manually update them all.

ok i was always under the impression MB wouldn't go that deep i.e. you couldn't have a collection inside a collection.

probably a dumb question but do you have the collection.xml in the topmost batman folder, the one named Batman Collection?

Yes, there is a collection.xml in the topmost folder "Batman Collection".  MB does go that deep with folders, in fact it works perfectly fine...it's just that the CoverArt image is messed up.

Thanks.

Actually, that is a sidecase treatment.  What type of item do you have CoverArt configured to use SideCase for?

ulrick65

Actually, that is a sidecase treatment.  What type of item do you have CoverArt configured to use SideCase for?

None of them.  I don't use the SideCase at all.  I only have the one profile setup (default) and I went through each item and triple checked for that SideCase...no place.

Thanks.

Change something about that box set.  Add or remove a movie from it would be the best way.  Then bring it up in the web client and post the server log from that.

ulrick65

I enabled debug log and then I rebooted the server service.  Went in and looked at the boxset (still wrong of course) then I removed one of the boxsets from the Batman folder (you can see above it said 3 movies, now it says 2). 

I also have attached the log file.  Thanks for the help.

52c0584dc1364_BatmanCollection.jpg

server-63523916664.log

Oh, wait a minute. Looking at your log I now remember.  CA is working as designed.

It was requested a while back to NOT create multi-image sets for items that, themselves, contain items that will have multi-image sets because it looks really bad.  IOW - you would get a fan of really small fans.

So, as you originally surmised, the problem is the fact that you have a nested box set.

ulrick65

That makes sense (that we wouldn't want that) but It seems odd that it would "fan the fans" so to speak.  Each one of the sub folders (where the boxsets reside) themselves have a folder.jpg file in it, even though CA is not using it.  Why couldn't it take those images and create the fan from them like it does the next level down or any other box set? 

Thanks.