Google Drive as source

tatumana

zediiiii

I've not found a service that does this (well) yet, and with expanding cloud storage options, this may be a good niche for Emby to get into before others do it first. Having a nice looking browser for a cloud based library would really be slick.

Edited by zediiiii
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
tatumana

Dear developer,

Is there a chance to see an evolution of Emby in this direction?

tatumana

When you will start to work on it, I offer my modest contribution to test its operation ^_^ 

In time, can you tell me what to install?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
tatumana

Hello everybody !

I look forward to this feature comes :))

What is the roadmap ?

Edited by tatumana

• 4 weeks later...
tatumana

Hello,

When start the development of this feature?

Here my point of view for the operating principle. What do you think ?

57b2745c1bea5_EMBYGOOGLEDRIVEINTEGRATION

• Like 2

killride

This is exactly what I need, I'm using strm files too and at the moment It really sucks.

I support your feature @tatumana  :) .

• Like 1

tatumana

This is exactly what I need, I'm using strm files too and at the moment It really sucks.

I support your feature @tatumana  :) .

Hooray I'am not alone! I think we need more supporters like you to push developers to begin the work.

• Like 1

tatumana

Three reasons why this feature will be useful and awesome:

1. Cloud is the future and today the cost is affordable. I have a Google Drive Unlimited for $50/month (ie $600/year) and I have unlimited space that is secured against crashes. Knowing the cost of hard drive and the cost of power consumption, its a very good deal.

2. Google Drive transcode video file. This provides different stream quality like Youtube (1080p, 720p, 480p and 360p) and the "image quality/compression ratio" is very satisfying. I can play 720p video on my poor 4 Mbits DSL.

3. You don't need to have a big server. Personally, I opted for a little dedicated server (Kimsufi 2G) for the cost and I can leave it run 24/7! Furthermore, me and my friends can watch movies from anywhere!

Edited by tatumana
  • Like 2

tatumana

Dear Emby's users,

If you like and want this feature, don't forget to click on "Like This" and share it.

Thank you everybody !  :)

Edited by tatumana
  • Like 4

tatumana
Basics features that should be included:

• GOOGLE APPS OAUTH2 for activation and permission
  • playing transcoded version (MP4 360p, 480p, 720p & 1080p) directly into Emby's app
  • playing original file (avi, mkv, mp4) directly into Emby's app
  • import embedded subtitles
  • porwerful script module for multiple folder scanning and STRM generating
Edited by tatumana
  • Like 2

breezytm

I think that's a great idea. Over time my drives started failing and require replacements. I wouldn't mind paying for unlimited storage and not having to worry about how much data to store and when the drives will fail and the cost to replace them.

• Like 1

tatumana

I think that's a great idea. Over time my drives started failing and require replacements. I wouldn't mind paying for unlimited storage and not having to worry about how much data to store and when the drives will fail and the cost to replace them.

Exactly why I move to Drive Unlimited :)

epayson85

It's a cool idea but in my opinion still too expensive. I have $600 worth of storage hard drives dedicated to my htpc now and just this year I replaced half of them so $300. All the drives are 5 years old... well last year when I replaced half they were 4 years old haha so cost me $300 a year. The drives weren't dead though and read very healthy on SMART readings... they are only used for storage and very rarely get accessed... the drives with the newest files get used the most and the older drives spin up hardly ever. So those drives went into my backup server which are constantly monitored so that if they start to go I get a little warning (in theory). The backup server also scans my drives on my Emby server to be sure they are all functioning properly. So that's $600 over 5 years rather than every year... there is no way you are saving enough in electric to make up for that. Now obviously Google is way better for streaming but my internet easily handles 2 uploads at once at 1080p. When Google brings their prices down to what I pay for my cloud backup at crashplan... $60 a year... then I am absolutely down. PS. I don't know if anyone will be uploading 4k movies into the cloud anytime soon. Offline storage will still be king for quite sometime.

tatumana

It's a cool idea but in my opinion still too expensive. I have $600 worth of storage hard drives dedicated to my htpc now and just this year I replaced half of them so $300. All the drives are 5 years old... well last year when I replaced half they were 4 years old haha so cost me $300 a year. The drives weren't dead though and read very healthy on SMART readings... they are only used for storage and very rarely get accessed... the drives with the newest files get used the most and the older drives spin up hardly ever. So those drives went into my backup server which are constantly monitored so that if they start to go I get a little warning (in theory). The backup server also scans my drives on my Emby server to be sure they are all functioning properly. So that's $600 over 5 years rather than every year... there is no way you are saving enough in electric to make up for that. Now obviously Google is way better for streaming but my internet easily handles 2 uploads at once at 1080p. When Google brings their prices down to what I pay for my cloud backup at crashplan... $60 a year... then I am absolutely down. PS. I don't know if anyone will be uploading 4k movies into the cloud anytime soon. Offline storage will still be king for quite sometime.

I understand what you said. With $600 of storage, I suppose you have maybe 8 or 10 TB, right? With Drive, we are talking about unlimited storage. Yes it maybe difficult to imagine to have unlimited space. But personnaly, today, I have more 40 TB of contents...

epayson85

I understand what you said. With $600 of storage, I suppose you have maybe 8 or 10 TB, right? With Drive, we are talking about unlimited storage. Yes it maybe difficult to imagine to have unlimited space. But personnaly, today, I have more 40 TB of contents...

I actually have 18tb of space :) 6 3tb drives at $90 a pop. WD retail drives from microcenter only 5400rpm but that's plenty even with multiple people accessing them.

To get 40tb online is insane... how long did that take you?

tatumana

I actually have 18tb of space :) 6 3tb drives at $90 a pop. WD retail drives from microcenter only 5400rpm but that's plenty even with multiple people accessing them.

To get 40tb online is insane... how long did that take you?

Almost 2 years now [emoji1] and it continue to grow up.

Edited by tatumana

• 3 weeks later...
horstepipe

Check ebay, sometimes there's good deals for unlimited google drive accounts.

Hmm there are tons of offers for unlimited accounts for only one-off 13$. So what is the catch here, this can't be true...