Google Drive as source

tatumana

tigrao

A quick search came up with this

http://www.expandrive.com/mount-google-drive-as-a-virtual-drive/

I've never used it and have no experience with it but it sounds like it would work.

I tried out Expandrive but it would lock up my machine when Emby started a scan.

I just finished building an Ubuntu VM running on Hyper-V on my Windows media server.  I'm using google-drive-ocamlfuse and Samba on there and so far it is smooth sailing.  The initial scan in Emby is still running, but it is actually progressing and everything is running smoothly.

Jdiesel

I tried out Expandrive but it would lock up my machine when Emby started a scan.

I just finished building an Ubuntu VM running on Hyper-V on my Windows media server.  I'm using google-drive-ocamlfuse and Samba on there and so far it is smooth sailing.  The initial scan in Emby is still running, but it is actually progressing and everything is running smoothly.

I actually preferred rclone to google-drive-ocamlfuse. It my experience it is quicker and has the benefit of built in encryption should you choose to use it.

tigrao

I actually preferred rclone to google-drive-ocamlfuse. It my experience it is quicker and has the benefit of built in encryption should you choose to use it.

Wow, you were right about rclone being faster.  When copying a file from my mounted Google Drive, google-drive-ocamlfuse gets me about 4 MB/s at best.  Rclone has been copying at about 14-15 MB/s.  I'll be sticking with rclone.

tigrao

I would like to think that not everyone is uploading pirated content to Google Drive.  Personally, I am uploading all of my cable TV recordings to Google Drive.  I'm recording lots of movies and TV Shows, stripping out the commercials with MCEBuddy, and uploading them with the official Google Drive client.  I suppose Google could suspend my account at anytime for abuse of the service, but they haven't yet.  According to my understanding I am making legal copies of content that I am paying for through my cable subscription.

I've been using rclone to make my Google Drive content available to Emby and I am quite happy with it.  This will suit my needs for now.

I would imagine this is a real niche use. Sure people may request it because why not, but the number of people who would actually use it is probably quite small. First people are still reluctant to put their media in the cloud where in many countries it is illegal to make a digital copy of a movie even if you own it and uploading that file to a third-party puts you at risk. Not to mention Google can decide to delete your media or suspend your account at any time. Second, the time it takes to upload your media to the cloud can take weeks even months for large libraries. If you have the upload bandwidth to upload a large library to the cloud why not just run your own server. Third, Google Drive speeds are unreliable and they have been known to temporarily suspend accounts for excessive use.

Jdiesel

Correct, if you are located in the US at least, it is legal to make copies of media from your paid cable subscription for personal use. I was referring to ripping physical media disks or digital content where by circumventing the DRM you are breaking the law. Glad it is working well for you. Did you end up using rclone's encryption?

• 5 weeks later...
gsites

I find the emby fantastic, fast, nice, spectacular interface, but, it has the problem of not being able to use google drive when the local server is off, that is, what good would it be if this idea of working directly on GOOGLE DRIVE were made Quick as possible

I was an emby subscriber, but due to the fact that it only works with the local computer connected, I switched to PLEX. TV that you can now use directly on google drive installed. It's very good, it works right without having to connect the local computer.

I look forward to EMBY being able to have this functionality. Well, using it directly on the server is simply spectacular !!!! EMBY STRENGTH, LONG LIFE TO EMBY !!!!

JR
FROM BRAZIL

======================

Eu acho o emby fantástico, rápido, agradável, interface espetacular, mas, tem o problema de não poder usar google drive quando o servidor local está desligado, ou seja, que bom seria se essa ideia de funcionar diretamente no GOOGLE DRIVE fosse feita o mais rápido possivel.

Eu era assinante emby, mas devido ao fato de funcionar somente com o computador local ligado, eu mudei para o PLEX . TV  que agora pode usar diretamente no google drive instalado. É muito bom, funciona direto sem precisar ligar o computador local.

Eu espero ansioso que o EMBY possa ter essa funcionalidade. Pois, usar diretamente no servidor é simplesmente espetacular!!!! FORÇA EMBY, VIDA LONGA AO EMBY!!!!

JR
FROM BRAZIL

======================

BAlGaInTl

I find the emby fantastic, fast, nice, spectacular interface, but, it has the problem of not being able to use google drive when the local server is off, that is, what good would it be if this idea of working directly on GOOGLE DRIVE were made Quick as possible

I was an emby subscriber, but due to the fact that it only works with the local computer connected, I switched to PLEX. TV that you can now use directly on google drive installed. It's very good, it works right without having to connect the local computer.

I look forward to EMBY being able to have this functionality. Well, using it directly on the server is simply spectacular !!!! EMBY STRENGTH, LONG LIFE TO EMBY !!!!

JR

FROM BRAZIL

======================

Eu acho o emby fantástico, rápido, agradável, interface espetacular, mas, tem o problema de não poder usar google drive quando o servidor local está desligado, ou seja, que bom seria se essa ideia de funcionar diretamente no GOOGLE DRIVE fosse feita o mais rápido possivel.

Eu era assinante emby, mas devido ao fato de funcionar somente com o computador local ligado, eu mudei para o PLEX . TV  que agora pode usar diretamente no google drive instalado. É muito bom, funciona direto sem precisar ligar o computador local.

Eu espero ansioso que o EMBY possa ter essa funcionalidade. Pois, usar diretamente no servidor é simplesmente espetacular!!!! FORÇA EMBY, VIDA LONGA AO EMBY!!!!

JR

FROM BRAZIL

======================

Maybe I'm confused...

How would it work without running Emby Server?  At the very least, wouldn't Emby need to be running to direct the client to Google Drive?  In theory, the content could direct play after that, but I would think you would at least need it to get started.

dcook

I have been testing Emby on Linux connecting to Google Cloud Storage and it works very well.  

As I understand Google Drive is just a front end interface for the same Google Cloud Storage.

• 2 weeks later...
breezytm

Maybe I'm confused...

How would it work without running Emby Server?  At the very least, wouldn't Emby need to be running to direct the client to Google Drive?  In theory, the content could direct play after that, but I would think you would at least need it to get started.

I am guessing poor English translation. He is referring to having an Emby server in the cloud and his data being accessible in the cloud as well. If you aren't already familiar with the concept, look up Plex Cloud. No local server is required as Plex is hosting your server for you. 

• Like 1

Blueeyiz702

Please click "Like this" and share it if you want to support this feature. Thank you ! :)

Hello,

There is a Kodi addon call "gdrive" from ddurdle who can read videos (original and transcoding version) directly from Google Drive. Why not build on this idea to integrate Google Drive as source directly in Emby Server ?

In addition, Emby could generate automatically the STRM files from one or many Drive folders. And transcodings are already available with Drive so no need to transcode with Emby server.

What do you think ?

-------------

Three reasons why this feature will be useful and awesome:

1. Cloud is the future and today the cost is affordable. I have a Google Drive Unlimited for $50/month (ie $600/year) and I have unlimited space that is secured against crashes. Knowing the cost of hard drive and the cost of power consumption, its a very good deal.

2. Google Drive transcode video file. This provides different stream quality like Youtube (1080p, 720p, 480p and 360p) and the "image quality/compression ratio" is very satisfying. I can play 720p video on my poor 4 Mbits DSL.

3. You don't need to have a big server. Personally, I opted for a little dedicated server (Kimsufi 2G) for the cost and I can leave it run 24/7! Furthermore, me and my friends can watch movies from anywhere!

57b2745c1bea5_EMBYGOOGLEDRIVEINTEGRATION

Basics features that should be included:

• GOOGLE APPS OAUTH2 for activation and permission
  • playing transcoded version (MP4 360p, 480p, 720p & 1080p) directly into Emby's app
  • playing original file (avi, mkv, mp4) directly into Emby's app
  • import embedded subtitles
  • porwerful script module for multiple folder scanning and STRM generating
Is there a guide to set up Rclone,i need a little help. No very good with command line stuff.

Sent from my Rooted Z987 on the Deathstar via Tapatalk

• Like 1

streamingtvpr

@

Friend luck with the guide I am looking for a month ago and nobody helps me with it

Edited by streamingtvpr

Blueeyiz702

@

Friend luck with the guide I am looking for a month ago and nobody helps me with it

look up nclone pcworld, found a pretty good little starter for nclone.[emoji106]

Blueeyiz702

Anyone who wants to join my Google domain for unlimited can message me for the details.

hey,ive been using your gdrive on kodi and its awesome never had problem. You plan on making something for emby?

• 1 month later...
gsites

Isso seria perfeito, pra quem precisa de conta Google Drive ilimitada pode falar comigo, eu as consigo!

Tenho 92Tb de midia, filmes e séries, ver isso direto no emby será perfeito

Olá, enviei para você uma mensagem perguntando do googledrive.

• 4 weeks later...
ddurdle

I started work on a plugin that could be used for Emby -- it certainty wasn't being designed with Emby in mind.

The idea is that it is a python service you run on the Emby server.  Then you would extract STRM files from it (representing your media files in Google Drive).  These STRM files are http calls back to the service.  You import these STRM files into Emby server.  When you playback a Google Drive media item, it calls the python service.  The python service will either playback the Google Drive content (as if it were a proxy) or provide back the Google Drive authenticated URL for the local player to playback.  In the first case, the authentication with Google Drive is kept to the Emby server and the client doesn't get involved with the authentication.  In the second case, the playback and credentials are passed to the client.

It will handle some encryption options such as encfs, a crypto implementation, or a crypto implementation you write yourself.  In the case of encryption, only option 1 is usable (I can push the stream of encrypted data to the client's player in option #2, but without a way of educating the player how to decrypt it, it is just garbage). 

ddurdle

hey,ive been using your gdrive on kodi and its awesome never had problem. You plan on making something for emby?

I've started working on it now.  Someone on this forum has attracted my attention to Emby and I've started using it last week.  I see a lot of great work being done on Emby and the fact it works on nearly everything in existence makes me salivate at the idea of playing back my Google Drive unencrypted and encrypted media on every device I own.

ddurdle

If you want to get involved with driving the features of the plugin as well as testing when it becomes available, I have a slack team created that I use for this purpose for my KODI plugins.  I've created a emby channel for discussions on this initiative.

You are free to join: http://104.193.224.179:3000/

Make sure you join/add yourself to the emby channel when you are in the team.

Edited by ddurdle
  • Like 1

Blueeyiz702

@ tatumana how and where did you sign up for this unlimited google drive?

tatumana

My Emby server is experiencing its last moments. Good luck to you @@ddurdle for the plugin and for your others projects.

Au revoir et n'oubliez pas, le streaming dans le cloud est l'avenir...  :)

• 4 weeks later...
roberto188

Exactly how long do you think it will take google to shutdown such an implementation due to "possible copyright infringement"? 1 month? 1 year?