Google Drive as source

tatumana

tatumana

This is an enhancement we would love to add in a future release. Thanks !

Still as accurate Luke... [emoji30]

Envoyé de mon GT-I9505 en utilisant Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
tatumana

Any news ? Almost one year...

Edited by tatumana

Sven

We are working on a lot of great things. It's almost impossible to work on everything on the same time. So stay tuned for it.

And be sure you like the OP, so it will stay on the radar...

Happy2Play

What is "OP" ?

You are, Original post/poster.

Sven

What is "OP" ?

First Message in this flow. :)

gardar

Why not just mount gdrive at the operating system? Am I missing something here?

Sent from my SM-N9002 using Tapatalk

tigrao

Why not just mount gdrive at the operating system? Am I missing something here?

Sent from my SM-N9002 using Tapatalk

There are many, like me, who have several terabytes of media in their Google Drive and don't have hard drive space to store it all.  I have almost 7 TB of media in Google Drive and only a 2 TB media server at home.  It would be absolutely wonderful to be able to stream my videos stored in Google Drive directly through Emby instead of having to download them and set them up on my media server.

Edited by tigrao
  • Like 1

tigrao

Plex Cloud seems to be the solution to this as they now support Google Drive.  This is the feature I'm waiting for from Emby to become an Emby Premiere subscriber.  My co-worker says that Plex Cloud isn't quite completely bug free yet.  I may have to dive in and subscribe to a Plex Pass to try it out myself.

• Like 1

Jdiesel

There are many, like me, who have several terabytes of media in their Google Drive and don't have hard drive space to store it all.  I have almost 7 TB of media in Google Drive and only a 2 TB media server at home.  It would be absolutely wonderful to be able to stream my videos stored in Google Drive directly through Emby instead of having to download them and set them up on my media server.

I think you missed @@gardar point, why not just mount the GDrive share locally on the PC running Emby server and link to the mounted directory? No need to download the files from Gdrive to your local PC and worrying about storage space if mounting a remote share. I know this can be done in linux with rclone or google-drive-ocamlfuse. I'm not familiar with Windows but I'm sure there must be a way of doing it as well.

tigrao

I think you missed @@gardar point, why not just mount the GDrive share locally on the PC running Emby server and link to the mounted directory?

The solutions I have tried on Windows have not worked.  The problem is that FUSE is not stable on Windows yet.  It looks like it is being worked on.  If there's something I haven't tried, I would be willing to try it.  I'm quite experienced with Linux, so maybe I will have to setup something on one of my Linux machines.  For the WAF I have resigned to using Windows for my HTPC.

Edited by tigrao

dcook

You can just mount google drive, there are already tools and methods for doing that.  You don't need additional storage at home, just mount the google drive.  

GCSFuse for example works very well.

Edited by dcook

horstepipe

You can just mount google drive, there are already tools and methods for doing that.  You don't need additional storage at home, just mount the google drive.  

GCSFuse for example works very well.

your plan still relies on the bandwidth server side.

The here discussed procedure establishes a direct connection between the client and gdrive, so that your server's upload is no limitation anymore.

Edited by horstepipe

The here discussed procedure establishes a direct connection between the client and gdrive, so that your server's upload is no limitation anymore.

Could that not be accomplished with the optional network paths...?

tatumana

The goal with my request is to enjoy videos ALREADY transcoded by google (360p, 480p, 720p, 1080p and maybe later when supported the 1440p & 2160p). So no need for Emby Server transcoding.

I tried all solutions to mount gdrive on windows but none is reliable.

Please read the first post for more details ;)

tatumana

Plex Cloud seems to be the solution to this as they now support Google Drive.  This is the feature I'm waiting for from Emby to become an Emby Premiere subscriber.  My co-worker says that Plex Cloud isn't quite completely bug free yet.  I may have to dive in and subscribe to a Plex Pass to try it out myself.

Yep cloud is the future and I do not understand why the Emby's devs still have not worked on this. I know they have a lot of things to do but there, there is nothing started or even announced :(

Jdiesel

I would imagine this is a real niche use. Sure people may request it because why not, but the number of people who would actually use it is probably quite small. First people are still reluctant to put their media in the cloud where in many countries it is illegal to make a digital copy of a movie even if you own it and uploading that file to a third-party puts you at risk. Not to mention Google can decide to delete your media or suspend your account at any time. Second, the time it takes to upload your media to the cloud can take weeks even months for large libraries. If you have the upload bandwidth to upload a large library to the cloud why not just run your own server. Third, Google Drive speeds are unreliable and they have been known to temporarily suspend accounts for excessive use.

What exactly do you mean?

When you define your library path you put the "mounted" location in the normal path and a direct path to the Gdrive in the network path.  Then, apps that can direct play will use the direct path (theoretically).

Jdiesel makes some good points about the practicality of this however...

BAlGaInTl

I would imagine this is a real niche use. Sure people may request it because why not, but the number of people who would actually use it is probably quite small. First people are still reluctant to put their media in the cloud where in many countries it is illegal to make a digital copy of a movie even if you own it and uploading that file to a third-party puts you at risk. Not to mention Google can decide to delete your media or suspend your account at any time. Second, the time it takes to upload your media to the cloud can take weeks even months for large libraries. If you have the upload bandwidth to upload a large library to the cloud why not just run your own server. Third, Google Drive speeds are unreliable and they have been known to temporarily suspend accounts for excessive use.

It's niche right now... Cloud storage quickly becoming more prevalent, and will be the standard in the near future.  Phones and portable devices are pushing this now.  Much of what you do is streamed/synced rather than stored locally. 

I see this as increasingly important.