Connecting to Emby Server (Manually Entering IP & Port)

essjay

essjay

Hi all,

I'm going through some testing with Emby before I decide to purchase. The plan is for a couple of Amazon Fire TV 4K's (running Kodi for now) and my HTPC. I want Emby server to do the library management for all my client players. Eventually I'll look to put Emby as a Docker on unRAID.

So the problem I have is if I enter the IP address of my server manually in Kodi I can't seem to connect to it. I did have some Server 2012 firewall issues (where Emby server is installed) and once I sorted those and deleted the server settings in the Kodi app, restarted Kodi it seemed to find the server on the network. So it will detect when I do not enter the server details. So it's fine inside the network.

So next I've tried connecting to the server from outside the network from my MacBook Air (running Kodi) over 4G/LTE. I have a static IP address at home and forwarded the port on my Airport Extreme to the server (which also has a fixed IP) for both types of traffic.

I can connected and view my media over HTTP. That is I open Chrome, type in my hope IP address and port 8096 and I can see the server. I enter those details into the Emby Kodi add-on and it says the server in unreachable.

Any ideas what I might have missed?

Also a second question which might warrant a different thread.

I have my media sorted something like:

\\server\media\video_lib\kids_movies

\\server\media\video_lib\kids_tv

\\server\media\video_lib\movies

\\server\media\video_lib\tv

I'm testing with the Titan skin.

Is it possible to create a shortcut on the home screen based on filepath? So I've added all the above paths into Emby server and can I now create a shortcut to one of those filepaths?

So on the screen I'd like a "Kids Movies" button on the home screen that when clicked would display all the movies I have in the below filepath:

\\server\media\video_lib\kids_movies

Likewise, I'd like a "Kids TV" button on the home screen that when clicked would display all the TV shows I have in the below filepath:

\\server\media\video_lib\kids_tv

Basically I'm trying to add a really easy way for the kids to use Kodi. I know I could possibly use parental controls so must read into that a little more, but for now the buttons might be the easiest.

• Like 2

CBers

Which version of the Emby for Kodi addon are you running ??

Try entering the computername of the server rather than it's IP address.

For some reason,m the Emby for Kodi add-on doesn't seem t like using the IP address.

Also, check the passwords.xml file in the userdata area of Kodi to ensure it's correct.

• Like 1

essjay

Which version of the Emby for Kodi addon are you running ??

Try entering the computername of the server rather than it's IP address.

For some reason,m the Emby for Kodi add-on doesn't seem t like using the IP address.

Also, check the passwords.xml file in the userdata area of Kodi to ensure it's correct.

Great, thanks for the response. I didn't realise it could be the Kodi app. I installed the iOS app just now and I can connect to the home server but again I don't know is that just HTTP again that's working. I'll have to try some other type of app on my MacBook Air to test.

essjay

Do you want to explain your Kodi set up ??

Right now it's pretty simple on the MacBook Air. I installed Kodi 16.0 this morning with the Titan skin. Took Emby Kodi Add-on 1.0.3 (I think) from the download page. No other add-ons besides what Titan installed.

Just keeps saying the server is unreachable in Kodi. If the Add-on doesn't like IP addresses maybe I should use a domain name mapped to my static IP or something.

essjay

I edited my post above whilst you were posting, so you may not have see the link I posted.

Have you read this: https://github.com/M.../Emby.Kodi/wiki

what platform is your Emby server running on ??

Thanks I'll take a look at that video. I'm running Emby Server on Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2.

Like I said I can connect from inside the network using auto discovery in Kodi and outside the network using HTTP in Chrome and iOS app (assuming that's HTTP also). I just can't connect using the Kodi Emby Add-on from outside the network when entering the static IP manually. I'll try setting up an A name on a spare domain name I have and see can I use that to connect. 

CBers

Oh right, you want to connect to the server using Kodi and add-on from outside you network. Sorry, I must have missed that comment.

I'm sure @@Angelblue05 will be along soon to assist with that :)

Angelblue05

How are you setting up the external ip? You say you are able to connect locally but externally doesn't work. Are you trying to change the local address in the same profile? Local or remote, it should not make a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

essjay

How are you setting up the external ip? You say you are able to connect locally but externally doesn't work. Are you trying to change the local address in the same profile? Local or remote, it should not make a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The external IP is fixed (lets say its 12.34.56.78) from my ISP and I've forwarded UDP and TCP traffic on port 8096 (router) to the same port on my server (fixed internal IP lets say 192.168.1.255). I have the Windows Server 2012 firewall to accept all connections.

So 12.34.56.78:8096 -> 192.168.1.255:8096

If I open Chrome from outside my network and enter 12.34.56.78:8096 then I can see the server web UI. Likewise if I enter the connection details into the iOS app it can connect from outside the home network.

The issue I have is on my Macbook from outside the network. Keep in mind I have only tried this from outside the network and at no stage have I tried to connect the Macbook from inside so there should be no conflicts. A fresh install of Kodi and the Emby Add-on. Entered my home network details into the settings but it can't connect. I even created a DNS A name on a domain I had to see if it would work but no joy. It's probably something really simple I'm doing wrong so I'll keep playing with it.