remote interface options?

lifespeed

lifespeed

What are the options for Emby remote controls?  I have an old Soundgraph-based IR solution that is showing it's age and has stopped working with windows 7.  I could replace the IR hardware with something natively supported by windows, and probably will at some point.

But I am wondering if there isn't an Android (over wifi or BT?) solution for windows remote control that works with Emby?

Koleckai Silvestri

For the legacy Emby Theater client, you can use the remote built into the web interface of Emby on any device. This interface is supported on Android and in the Android client. 

For the new version of Emby Theater, this functionality hasn't been added yet.

Deathsquirrel

Lots of users, not me, use harmony remotes.

I'm just using a bluetooth touchpad for now.

Harblar

Harmony remote for total control and a standard windows remote/usb receiver to get commands from the harmony into the HTPC. Works perfect and is dead simple to setup. Plug the usb IR receiver into the HTPC and then add a "windows Media center" device to your harmony. 

If I remember right, it seems like there was also a way to add a wireless keyboard device into harmony and then you could setup macros in harmony and do anything you could do with a keyboard shortcut directly from the remote.

elshagon

Unified Remote app on my Android phone does it all for me.  I have the Logitech Harmony One as well but hardly use it anymore.  Once you setup Unified Remote (which can be challenging at first) you can control everything as long as you have a phone with an IR blaster.  You install a server on your pc and the Unified Remote app connects to it via WiFi.  If you have an IR blaster you can control your tv and receiver as well.  I use it to turn on/off my Onkyo receiver, Vizio TV, control Emby Theater, use it as a mouse and keyboard, etc.  I'll post screenshot of the widget I created to use on one of my phone's home pages below to show how it looks on my phone.  The MB button is to launch Emby, all the rest of the controls will get me around within Emby. The RP button you see will launch my favorite internet radio station on my pc, Radio Paradise.  edit:  oops, don't know how to resize the photo to make it smaller.

570075da026ef_Screenshot_20160402182929.

Edited by elshagon

lifespeed

Unified Remote app on my Android phone does it all for me.  I have the Logitech Harmony One as well but hardly use it anymore.  Once you setup Unified Remote (which can be challenging at first) you can control everything as long as you have a phone with an IR blaster.  You install a server on your pc and the Unified Remote app connects to it via WiFi.  If you have an IR blaster you can control your tv and receiver as well.  I use it to turn on/off my Onkyo receiver, Vizio TV, control Emby Theater, use it as a mouse and keyboard, etc.  I'll post screenshot of the widget I created to use on one of my phone's home pages below to show how it looks on my phone.  The MB button is to launch Emby, all the rest of the controls will get me around within Emby. The RP button you see will launch my favorite internet radio station on my pc, Radio Paradise.  edit:  oops, don't know how to resize the photo to make it smaller.

It sounds like remote control of Emby on the PC happens over wifi, making IR unnecessary for the PC?  My IR in the PC seems to be broken, a wifi/android solution would be cool.  I'm not worried about IR for my TV or receiver, got that covered.

elshagon

Yes, you only need to be on the network your PC is connected to. Wi-Fi is all you need to launch and control Emby

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk