Samsung TV getting the aspect ratio wrong on a single movie

Alastair Cairns

Alastair Cairns

Hi

I hope this is the right place, and the right way to post a request... if not - please point me in the right direction :-)

I've ripped some 200 plus DVDs now using handbrake on identical settings, but the movie "The Holiday" play on the TV in 4:3 rather than wide screen. A spot check of other movies & they seem fine. The other movie ripped that evening is also fine (plays correctly in widescreen). The same movie plays correctly on the web client and an android client. Any suggestions on where to look to correct this please?

Issue description:

One movie does not seem to recognise the correct aspect ratio, on the Samsung client, when other players do, and the samsung TV gets all the others (that we've tried to date) correct.

Steps to reproduce:

I've tied restarting the server and the TV. But this title plays in 4:3. (on the TV only)

My TV/HTS/BD Player model number:

Samsung UE40H6400

My firmware version:

I guess this is the SW on the TV? if so ver 2820

Other TVs etc. the issue has been reproduced on:

None available

My Emby server version:

My current Emby Samsung client version:

Supporting information to include logs and pictures where applicable:

Pics from the TV screen logs (is there a better way to gather these?)

56fae44558a46_TVlog1.png

56fae4589745e_TVLog2.png

The meta data reported at the foot of the title in the web interface is:

Media Info
Video
CodecH264
Codec tagavc1
ProfileHigh
Level41
Resolution720x552
Aspect ratio1.85:1
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate24.99974
Bitrate987 kbps
Bit depth8 bit
Pixel formatyuv420p
Ref frames4
Audio
Languageeng
CodecAAC
Codec tagmp4a
ProfileLC
Layoutstereo
Channels2 ch
Bitrate156 kbps
Sample rate48000 khz
DefaultYes
Audio
Languageeng
CodecAC3
Codec tagac-3
Layout5.1
Channels6 ch
Bitrate375 kbps
Sample rate48000 khz
DefaultNo
Containerm4v
PathE:\Videos\Movies Sam\The Holiday (2006)\The Holiday (2006).m4v

FrostByte

Does your movie play like you want on your Samsung if you copy it to usb and use the Samsung media player?

Unfortunately, taking pics using your camera is probably the easiest way to get logs or screen shots posted at this time unless you can hook a tablet or something to the back of the TV and do a screen capture

Edited by FrostByte

Alastair Cairns

Hi Frostbyte -

Thanks for the swift response. Just tried that now & found the TV doesn't support .M4V files - which is what all my DVD rips are encoded in - must have been the default for Handbrake & I didn't think to investigate :-(   Is .M4V a less good file format in your experience. It played on the PC in VLC & so I stopped looking...

I could convert / re-rip this in a supported format & try. 

Although - I'm still puzzled by emby. All the other movies (that I've tried) seem fine.

FrostByte

I find that MP4 and MKV are the two most popular for ripping movies which are compatible with most devices and both support the newer H265/HEVC and internal subtitles on H-series TV.  

Glad to see you figured it out.  If it's not in the chart in your TVs user manual then the app should be transcoding the movie so that it displays correctly.  So it's probably best to encode to a format which can play on your TV without transcoding (if that's your primary device for watching movies).  However, I'm looking at your logs and it doesn't appear it was transcoded and says Direct Play instead.  So that could be an issue there.  If it actually transcoded then it probably would display correctly on your TV.

@cmcg

I think there may be an issue with the code as M4V isn't listed as a supported file extension on any E-H series users manual I can find.  I'm wondering if it should be transcoding instead of DP.

39     		case "h264": 
40     			this.codec = true; 
41     			this.container = ["asf","avi","mkv","mp4","3gpp","mpg","mpeg","ts","m4v","m2ts","mov","vro","tp","trp","flv","vob","svi","mts","divx"]; 
42     			this.resolution = [1920,1080]; 
43     			this.bitrate = 50720000; 
44     			this.framerate = 30; 
45     			this.level = 41; 
46     			this.profile = ["Base","Constrained Baseline","Baseline","Main","High"]; 
47     			break; 

Page from H6400 user's manual and I don't see M4V listed (which would explain the distorted picture). 

56fd91a33adcd_H6400.jpg

• Like 1

Alastair Cairns

Hi again.

Thanks - that looks like what I dug out of the manual here too :-)

Well I did a bit of googling and as you say MP4 seems to be the default format of choice.

I also found an article that states that M4V can be renamed to MP4 unless it contains DRM bits - ie if its from the iTunes store... which this isn't.

Thus armed I changed the extension on the memory stick & the file plays correctly on the TV from the USB drive.

So I changed the extension on the emby file folder location, and re-scanned the library.

Oddly the same issue when played via emby on the TV: it plays with in 4:3 and everything is squished vertically. Hmmm.

Odd that in the logs (6lines up off the bottom of the first pic) I can see a line which suggest the resolution will be 720x552 - which looks like its sort of identified widescreen?

I'm going to re-rip & re-encode to see if that sorts it. I shall update this post either way.

• Like 1

FrostByte

Cool, I saw something in the wiki also about m4v files and renaming them mp4 as long as they didn't contain DRM (probably why m4v is in the code to DP even though the user manual says nothing about it).  If it plays fine from usb then it is supposed to play within the app also.  Really odd that it would squish the file if it is Direct Playing though.  It should be streaming it as is from the server when DPing. 

If it still doesn't play correctly after re-ripping to mp4 maybe you could upload the file, or a small portion of it, somewhere and I'll have a look until the boss (cmcg) gets back from vacation.

Alastair Cairns

HI Frostbyte.

Well I re-ripped it and get the same result. (In handbrake it seems to rip to .m4v what ever I tell it... but I guess that is not too important now).

I'll upload the folder to dropbox here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/n6cl0p46lbpmo0h/AADWyXGSE9EIoqcWs52FsaQ4a?dl=0

(Although it might take a while to complete it seems).

In case that's useful. I'm not sure how to edit a section for a smaller upload, but if you need that - let me know & I'll look it up.

Thanks for looking into this for me.

Cheers

Al

FrostByte

Downlaoding now.  Not sure why HB is only allowing you to use M4V.  It does MP4 and MKV for me.  What version are you using?

Alastair Cairns

HB is on 0.10.2.7286 - 64bit

It offers MKV or MP4 as the container type, but then auto names the files to .M4V... odd. I guess I could overwrite it, but not if I do more than one at at a time - and I usually rip a few disks with MakeMKV, and then let HB do its thing overnight :-)

I was pretty new to this when a friend of mine introduced me to Emby a couple of months back. Once I'd seen it collect all the artwork and so on I was sold :-)... 

• Like 1

CBers

@@Alastair Cairns - I have downloaded your movie and added it to Emby and I also get 4:3 playback.

In the INFO window during playback, it says it 480p/H264/AAC.

It is Direct Streaming/Playing though.

• Like 1

FrostByte

Ya, sorry for taking so long to get back.  I was just going to say the same. 

Every app I've tried playing it in is seeing it as 480p, however the Samsung app is automatically downgrading it to "regular 480p" which is 4:3 and all the other apps are playing it as "wide 480p" which is 16:9.  I'm assuming the Samsung app thinks all 480p is 4:3 which it is not, Aspect Ratio 1.85 = 16:9

Edit: possibly getting resized in setDisplaySize ()

Edited by FrostByte

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread, but I didn't think I should start a separate thread for the same issue.

I'm on an older TV (2012 UN50EH5300) so I'm running v2.2.3 of the client and I've only noticed it once, but I have a single episode of a series that plays in the wrong aspect ratio. They're all H.264 MKV's but for some reason one episode displays in 4:3 ratio instead of 16:9. It displays perfectly fine on all of my other clients; even my phone, just not my Samsung TV. Any ideas?

I know this is an old thread, but I didn't think I should start a separate thread for the same issue.

I'm on an older TV (2012 UN50EH5300) so I'm running v2.2.3 of the client and I've only noticed it once, but I have a single episode of a series that plays in the wrong aspect ratio. They're all H.264 MKV's but for some reason one episode displays in 4:3 ratio instead of 16:9. It displays perfectly fine on all of my other clients; even my phone, just not my Samsung TV. Any ideas?

You're using the community app, it's hard for me to say as I'm not familiar with that code base. @@SamES might know.

Can you please provide the media info for this file?  I expect it's anamorphic which the app handles but it my be an odd ratio that is causing an issue.

FrostByte

The media info for the episode you mentioned in post #13 which doesn't play correctly.  You can either post the info from the bottom of the page in the web client, or use the mediainfo app and post the information from that.

5a8481ce527d7_Anamorphic.jpg

• Like 1