Surface RT Buffering Issue

ricanmeng

ricanmeng

Hello,

I get constant buffering on my Surface RT on my network.  I have done speedtests, network transfer tests, and used other DLNA playing apps to confirm my files and network are not the issue.  My Rokus, android tablets, and other computers have no issues.  What can I do?  Is there a setting I am missing.  My files are all 1080p MKV's with DTS and Dolby tracks averaging about 12mb/s for bitrate.

ernstgot

Hello,

I get constant buffering on my Surface RT on my network.  I have done speedtests, network transfer tests, and used other DLNA playing apps to confirm my files and network are not the issue.  My Rokus, android tablets, and other computers have no issues.  What can I do?  Is there a setting I am missing.  My files are all 1080p MKV's with DTS and Dolby tracks averaging about 12mb/s for bitrate.

I too am having this problem,  I know if you go into settings you can set it to transcode to lower quality but that quality is very low.  I do wish there was a setting or it would auto sense your network speed and set the transcoding accordingly like on most other streaming services.

The buffering you see may not be related to network speed there may be another reason can I please see an ffmpeg log from a playback event.

SilentAssassin

What specification is your server? My server is not that powerful. I can transcode 720p content just fine but when trying 1080p I get occasional buffering. 

ricanmeng

My Server is quite beefy.  I have a Core i5 2500K overclocked to 4.5 Ghz with 8 Gigs of Ram and a GTX780.  My server runs on an SSD with 35% of space left.  I also run Plex Server along with it and my Plex app doesn't work well on the Surface but does on the other devices.  I will post a log when I get a chance.

7illusions

The issue is with the App. It passes on full audio and video, and the Surface can't handle that.. This will be fixed in the next version.

The only current solution is to use the "Transcode to low quality"-setting meanwhile.

SilentAssassin

The issue is with the App. It passes on full audio and video, and the Surface can't handle that.. This will be fixed in the next version.

The only current solution is to use the "Transcode to low quality"-setting meanwhile.

Good to know, I always assumed it was my server couldn't push out the stream quick enough because 720p content plays perfectly fine. Any timescale on a release date?

• 1 month later...
bobn4burton

Was this issue ever fixed?  I am having the same problem and I just barely downloaded the app so its on version 1.2.0.30.  I am using a Surface Pro 2.

I am trying to play ripped 1080p bluray's.  I used makemkv to rip the blurays to mkv file format.

At first, I was thinking that it was just my wifi on my surface pro 2 couldn't keep up.  But then I tried just transferring the file directly from server to my desktop on the Surface with windows file explorer and I was getting approximately 15 MB/s transfer speeds which should be plenty fast to keep up...

So it doesn't appear to be a problem with my wifi connection speeds...??

Is this still a problem in the app?

7illusions

Just bring out the charms menu, click settings -> Streaming and select a lower transcoding setting and you should be fine.

bobn4burton

Hmmm...I'm thinking it must still be an app problem?  I just tried it on my desktop pc that is connected with a wired 1 gig Ethernet and it still has the same buffering problem...

I can also stream the same mkv file perfectly if I just open the network share and play the file with mpc-hc.  So shouldn't be a network issue...must be in the app??

bobn4burton

Just bring out the charms menu, click settings -> Streaming and select a lower transcoding setting and you should be fine.

Thanks for the quick reply...I had replied above before seeing your reply.

I have tried to do that (lower the transcoding setting), but the quality is noticeably worse...to the point I'd rather just watch the movie using mpc-hc or something...

I love the app otherwise...just wondering if this is an issue that can/will be fixed?

7illusions

can you post a serverlog of when you start playback?

Also, the file info from the webclient. (codecs, resolution etc)

Thanks

• 1 month later...
mriksman

Having same/similar issue  Trying to play videos in this app with it set to Max transcoding causes the videos not to play  Nothing happens  Set it to 1080p 25Mbps and it plays, but the quality is noticeably worse than if I send it to the desktop Chrome/IE to play.

Whats happening here?

bobn4burton

can you post a serverlog of when you start playback?

Also, the file info from the webclient. (codecs, resolution etc)

Thanks

Had forgotten to come back and reply...mriksman's reply reminded me about this thread.

I wasn't able to get a serverlog when I started playback because my trial for the app had expired.  I didn't want to purchase this app until this bug was worked out because it was pretty useless to me if it can't smoothly stream my blu-ray rips (to mkv using makemkv).

Again, I know it wasn't a wireless/bandwidth problem because I can stream them just fine using media player classic:hc with a mapped folder...

Is there anything I can do to help troubleshoot this problem with an expired win8 app trial?

mriksman

Have noticed some movie files play about 5 seconds and stop. Sending it remotely to the client in Chrome/IE in desktop mode plays fine.

Would love to get this Metro App sorted.

mriksman

Oh - mine isn't bandwidth; the app and server are on the same machine. The thread just sounded similar because to make it play, I needed to drop the stream settings from Max to 1080p 25Mbps.

7illusions

A fix is on the way. Hopefully a new version is available early next week.

mriksman

Thanks!

All my videos are mp4s, but I noticed some don't play in the native Xbox Video player. They play fine in Mediavrowser, but the quality is average. Any ideas why some mp4's wouldn't play? I wouldn't have thought I'd need codecs.

In fact, any file that does play in Xbox Video looks really good, and any file sent via DLNA to my TV using Mediabrowser looks brilliant. But Mediabrowser (app and web client) looks average.

7illusions

It's because we couldn't direct play mp4 prior to the latest server update and had to transcode.