Help Needed - Emby Server cant find media folders on NAS

JestersDance
Go to solution Solved by JestersDance,

JestersDance

So what is the takeaway from this issue -  until MS come up with an update that fixes the issue, (if ever) Emby is unuseable?

Happy2Play

I have tried using both my NAS name, eg:

\\NAS0001\Movies

or its IP address:

\\123.456.789.10\Movies

So these paths are accessible via Windows explorer without any issue?

JestersDance

So these paths are accessible via Windows explorer without any issue?

Yes, If I type in the UNC path in explorer it loads up fine!

Happy2Play

This still sounds like a permissions issue.  Can you provide the permissions that are set on the "Movies" folder.

JestersDance

This still sounds like a permissions issue.  Can you provide the permissions that are set on the "Movies" folder.

From the QNAP file manager:

56f5c5b623d7c_Capture.jpg

Happy2Play

Skimming through this post, looks like it may be a MS issue with SMB3.  It suggest configuring to SMB1.0.

geaves

Skimming through this post, looks like it may be a MS issue with SMB3.  It suggest configuring to SMB1.0.

That does seem to be the problem, if you google the issue resetting the SMB on the NAS usually fixes it, but my NAS is set to SMB2 and after a clean install of W10 my W10 couldn't see it, until I applied a number of changes to W10.

Edited by geaves

geaves

Tried the fix and it still hasnt worked :( FML

Have you tried asking in the Qnap forums, as this seems to be a common problem? this is another solution that seems to be going around;

Command prompt / administrator and type two lines together like that : 

sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/nsi 

sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= disabled

click on enter

Found this on the Qnap forum, seems to relate to SMB on the Qnap

Edited by geaves

geaves

There was another thing I did on W10 and that was to ensure I was logging on with a local account, I had originally set the login to my M/S account and then a pin. But what made me look toward this was I couldn't access a share on my linux mint box.  :huh:  since when does linux know about m/s accounts. 

It's a good idea if you're in a total m/s environment, but not when you're using different o/s's on different hardware.

Happy2Play

There was another thing I did on W10 and that was to ensure I was logging on with a local account, I had originally set the login to my M/S account and then a pin. But what made me look toward this was I couldn't access a share on my linux mint box.  :huh:  since when does linux know about m/s accounts. 

It's a good idea if you're in a total m/s environment, but not when you're using different o/s's on different hardware.

OT but situations like this with MS accounts you need to use the Credential Manager, that is how I still passthru to my WHS2011 shares.

geaves

From the QNAP file manager:

56f5c5b623d7c_Capture.jpg

The only difference I can see to my own nas is that the permissions are applied to the root folder and all sub folders and files.

geaves

OT but situations like this with MS accounts you need to use the Credential Manager, that is how I still passthru to my WHS2011 shares.

Ah!! that's something I didn't know about.

JestersDance

Thanks so much for your input on this peeps - really appreciate you both taking the time to guide a novice through something!

Geaves, I did stumble on that fix you mentioned:

Have you tried asking in the Qnap forums, as this seems to be a common problem? this is another solution that seems to be going around;

Command prompt / administrator and type two lines together like that : 

sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/nsi 
sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= disabled

click on enter

Found this on the Qnap forum, seems to relate to SMB on the Qnap

And applied it but it didnt work unfortunately.

Appreciate the QNAP link - I have asked in their forum. The only untried solution in my case is setting the SAMBA level on the NAS unit itself, which is looking rather daunting if the posts in the QNAP forum are anything to go by!

I am already running my windows PC as a local user as it is the server unit open to the whole house so I dont want windows 10 mail etc loading all my emails (not that it does any more - outlook.com migration to exchange has broken that, but thats a different issue!).

Will see if I can nut out changing the settings on my NAS and report back.

geaves

You're welcome, I'll also keep digging around, I found a forum this morning, complete with screenshots on how to change the smb settings on a Qnap, but I closed the tab... :rolleyes: wrong tab!!! then I couldn't find it again, I'm in and out all day so I'll check my browsing history when I get the opportunity.

Edit:

Found it  this has some qnap screenshots.

Edited by geaves

JestersDance

Thanks Geaves!

Was an interesting read - unfortunately because my NAS is a bit older, it doesnt have the option to change the SMB setting through the GUI - it needs to be done through PuTTY - which is a bit daunting.

I did notice though that on my QNAP the 'enable WINS server' radio button wasnt checked. Is that something I should turn on?

• Solution
JestersDance

So... I am not sure if turning on WINS worked.. but Emby now sees the NAS!!!!

THANK YOU to you both for taking the time to help.

If I can ever repay the favour please let me know!

• Like 4

geaves

So... I am not sure if turning on WINS worked.. but Emby now sees the NAS!!!!

THANK YOU to you both for taking the time to help.

If I can ever repay the favour please let me know!

Glad you got it sorted, would never have thought of a WINS option, the usual NetBios over TCP/IP option usually works, but even that option I have never changed on my own network setting.