Emby Background Task to Convert all media to MP4

butch79

BeppoMonkeyBoy

I ask because I made a plugin that did something like this ages ago (to remove embedded subtitles and embed metadata) but never finished it because I got distracted.. (had kids)

BeppoMonkeyBoy

My current usage is simply converting any files that are not MP4 with H264 video and a default AAC 2.0 audio track. The 2.0 AAC track needs to be default so that the file can be direct streamed in browser (since we can't use a secondary audio stream without transcoding). I like to create a 2.0 AAC track for every original track in the file, and also retaining the original tracks. Then finally, once the new file is created, clean up the old one by sending it to the Recycling bin.

On second thought, here is the tool that I'm using right now, you can take a look at the options that it offers, specifically under the MP4 Configuration section: https://github.com/mdhiggins/sickbeard_mp4_automator/blob/master/README.md

The most important of those config settings to me are:

relocate_moov

ios-audio

ios-first-track-only

audio-default-language

subtitle-codec

subtitle-language

embed-subs

download-subs

@@bfir3 I've written a plugin a while ago for personal use called PolyMorphTV, that basically runs a ffmpeg command against episodes that are tagged with "Convert", and it just runs as a sheduled task and outputs them to a temp directory, wouldn't be hard to tweak this to do what i think you are after, just need a example ffpeg string that you are likkley to use to get and idea of if this is what you'd use.

• 2 months later...
pwhodges

This looks very useful for me as well - thanks!

However, the install appears to run, but nothing shows in my plugins after restarting the server.  What am I missing?  Do I have to install ffmpeg beforehand, for instance?

Edited by pwhodges

otispresley

+1, but I would like to see the option for other formats as output. For example, all my Movies and TV Shows are MKV with HEVC video and copied audio and subs. It would be nice to have Emby do this rather than having to maintain a shell script to do it. This also means that it would have to be able to take in CLI options as well.

Edited by otispresley
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
pglbrookes

this could be just what i was looking for!

+1 for settings to control output

Having just set up and run once as a trial I seem to be getting a garbled naming on the output and in the wrong location in the folder structure, it seems to be a \ instead of / in the naming : 

Input #0, matroska,webm, from '/Multimedia/TV/24/24 - s01e02 - 100 A.M.-200 A.M - 720p WEB-DL.mkv'

Output #0, mp4, to '/Multimedia/TV/24\24 - s01e02 - 100 A.M.-200 A.M - 720p WEB-DL.mp4':

from the log file... has resulted in an mp4 with random alpha numeric name in the root tv folder

any help would be amazing!

• 1 month later...
butch79

Thank you Emby for adding the convert feature I have been asking for for so long. I am not seeing an option to automatically convert to H.265. Converting to H.264 for 4K devices is not a good idea as H.264 is really only great for 1080p video. Unfortunately H.264 is also double file size of H.265. Can we get the option to convert to H.265 added?  Is there a possibility to also have a feature for the converter where it replaces the media instead of just saving another copy of the data in the same folder with a different format?

Thank you Emby for adding the convert feature I have been asking for for so long. I am not seeing an option to automatically convert to H.265. Converting to H.264 for 4K devices is not a good idea as H.264 is really only great for 1080p video. Unfortunately H.264 is also double file size of H.265. Can we get the option to convert to H.265 added?  Is there a possibility to also have a feature for the converter where it replaces the media instead of just saving another copy of the data in the same folder with a different format?

Thanks for the feedback. Since you opened a new topic, we'll respond there:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/58662-emby-convert-convert-to-h265-replace-video-files/&do=findComment&comment=574511

Thanks.

jaycedk

This was implemented in version 3.4.0 of the server.

Well not fully, still would like conversion of any format to 264, or 265. dependents on needs.

Preserve original ac3 sound, but make a acc main track.

And move original file to delete-folder.

@@bfir3 I've written a plugin a while ago for personal use called PolyMorphTV, that basically runs a ffmpeg command against episodes that are tagged with "Convert", and it just runs as a sheduled task and outputs them to a temp directory, wouldn't be hard to tweak this to do what i think you are after, just need a example ffpeg string that you are likkley to use to get and idea of if this is what you'd use.

Right now, that do not do what we would like it to do.

And its only doing it for TV shows.

Edited by jaycedk

Actually the conversion feature can be used on any video in your library, not just TV shows.

jaycedk

ok guess I and the creator of the plug-in, stand corrected.

• Posted 23 April 2018 - 10:12 AM

jaycedk, on 23 Apr 2018 - 09:42 AM, said:snapback.png

Hi

2 questions :)

1) Can this handle Movies too ?

2) Does this handle other formats, like .avi files ?

1) Yes

2) The lastest version i'm working on will have a routine to convert almost anything to .mp4 not just .mkv's

jaycedk

Ohh yes, you are right, but can you read my question, and not just parts of it, and then, give your auto answer.

Well not fully, still would like conversion of any format to 264, or 265. dependents on needs.

Preserve original ac3 sound, but make a acc main track.

And move original file to delete-folder.

Hi.  This specific request was to convert to mp4 format and the new feature does that.

We realize it probably doesn't do everything that everyone wants yet but the basic request is complete and we will enhance it from there.

Thanks.

Robert X. Gonzalez

The conversion process is interesting, especially in auto, but had to throttle back, literally remove it as it hogged my CPU.  Also, it is not removing the .ts files, but retaining along with the new .mp4 file.  I found the auto setting, but nothing to remove the .ts files which typically are at least twice the size or more over .mp4 or .mkv files.  Also, before I could see duplicates and know I recorded a program twice in error, but now even with a .mp4 and .ts file, it only show up once say in movies.  I am afraid to delete media as it will delete both so doing it manually.

There are settings in the server dashboard under download & sync that will let you control how many threads the conversion process will use, as well as how fast it will go. We'll make it more obvious that it also applies to the convert feature.

• 11 months later...

Is it possible to have an option to convert videos TO the MKV format as well? TX

Selecting the tv profile will do that. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

Rodiefs

Luke, I took a look at the Wiki information on how to set the TV profile and understand that. It's just not clear how to configure the actual file conversion setting for MKV containers.. Sorry but I just don't see where to set it. Thank you