Emby Background Task to Convert all media to MP4

butch79

butch79

I would like to request a new feature. I want to be able to setup a scheduled task that converts all my media to MP4 when the system is ideal and delete the original after the conversion is successful.

Is there a way to do this now? If not, how do we go about putting in a feature request to get this added?

• Like 7

Hi, welcome. Good suggestion. Although there is not an explicitly designed feature this purpose, you can currently accomplish this using Folder Sync:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Folder%20Sync

The only caveat is that after the sync is complete, it's up to you to move the new version from the sync folder back to your media folder. But it will work.

butch79

Is there any way to get this put into a future release so that you don't have to do it that way? I would very much prefer it be all automatic.

It's a good idea and something we'll probably consider, but even now folder sync does a pretty good job of it, so you do have options.

• 3 weeks later...

It's already here in the right place. Now we're just looking to assess community feedback.

bfir3

This feature could potentially be amazing. The issues that I could see with it is if the process is running 24/7 without the ability to schedule it. I wouldn't want something like this running while users are connected and trying to watch stuff because that could interfere as CPU and memory will be used by the conversion process. I'm in the process of converting all my existing media to MP4 anyway and this feature could really simplify that. I've been going series by series, creating an AAC default audio track as well as retaining any AC3/DCA/MP3 tracks with 5.1+ audio. Would be really neat to tell Emby that it can convert my media to those specifications during certain hours of the day.

• Like 1

bfir3

As stated above, you could use folder sync now...

Folder sync doesn't automate the process enough to be desirable. I would much rather run a simple script at the root level of my TV series that automatically converts and cleans up the old media. I definitely think this feature has it's own unique place in Emby beyond "folder sync".

bfir3

can you list what your expectations would be? thanks.

My current usage is simply converting any files that are not MP4 with H264 video and a default AAC 2.0 audio track. The 2.0 AAC track needs to be default so that the file can be direct streamed in browser (since we can't use a secondary audio stream without transcoding). I like to create a 2.0 AAC track for every original track in the file, and also retaining the original tracks. Then finally, once the new file is created, clean up the old one by sending it to the Recycling bin.

On second thought, here is the tool that I'm using right now, you can take a look at the options that it offers, specifically under the MP4 Configuration section: https://github.com/mdhiggins/sickbeard_mp4_automator/blob/master/README.md

The most important of those config settings to me are:

relocate_moov

ios-audio

ios-first-track-only

audio-default-language

subtitle-codec

subtitle-language

embed-subs

download-subs

Edited by bfir3

• 2 months later...
butch79

Hello System Architect,

This is such a requested feature now that other developers are starting to come up with their own version of this. Can we not get Emby to start doing this?

The first major player is Sickbeard MP4 Automator. 

https://github.com/mdhiggins/sickbeard_mp4_automator/blob/master/README.md

Maybe a work around for everyone, could Emby simply start offering the ability for people to make a custom Scheduled Task. This would allow us to simply write the commands to make the task ourselves or write a script that would run from the scheduled task. From there, we could schedule it how we wanted using the built-in system. Thoughts?

• 2 months later...
butch79

Development, is there any status on this? Plex now has this feature. Was hoping you guys would have beat them to the punch on this. I'm guessing Plex developers found this post and did the exact thing I recommended.

• 3 weeks later...
godbodian

I agree. I current do this by hand using Handbrake, MP4Box, MKVCleaver and Avidemux. If I no longer had to that would be AWESOME!

• 1 month later...
DrToddM4250

+1 !

I have a real headache in needing to "unify" the formats I accumulated and that WMC handled easily.

An automated background process would be terrific.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
smerrikin

I would love to see this feature.

Currently using a couple iPads in the mix and the transcoding sucks. Would love to reencode them all during idle time.

BeppoMonkeyBoy

Development, is there any status on this? Plex now has this feature. Was hoping you guys would have beat them to the punch on this. I'm guessing Plex developers found this post and did the exact thing I recommended.

How do you do this in plex?

• Like 1