FLAC transcoding

JDizzy
Go to solution Solved by JDizzy,

JDizzy

Is there somewhere that I can tell Emby not to transcode flac into mp3 files sent to my FireTV?

Thanks

JDizzy

How are they being "sent" to your Fire TV?

Ummm...

Wired connection?!

Not sure what you mean.....

JDizzy

I think he's asking what client app you're using to play those FLAC files back.

Ahhh...

Using Emby for Kodi through Kodi.

After looking 'how' they are being sent by Emby... it says "Direct Playing" and it is a flac file.

Might that mean somewhere after Emby, something is converting the file......

JDizzy

Sorry, was just asking if there were device profiles somewhere that might be incorrect causing all my flac music being transcoded as mp3.

It shows in Emby as Direct Playing which I assume is sending out the flac music.... dunno... just thought I might have a look at device profile for FireTV to see if this might be the case.

I'll sniff around a bit more.

Thanks

Angelblue05

Ah ok. No emby for kodi will direct play your files. The only way it would be converted to mp3 is if you have the direct stream option enabled under the add-on settings > sync options > enable music/direct stream.

It shouldn't be enabled, otherwise it would report as direct stream. With direct play, you play the file as is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

• Solution
JDizzy

Ah ok. No emby for kodi will direct play your files. The only way it would be converted to mp3 is if you have the direct stream option enabled under the add-on settings > sync options > enable music/direct stream.

It shouldn't be enabled, otherwise it would report as direct stream. With direct play, you play the file as is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah just went to the wiki and read up a bit.... came across:

Direct stream the music library: Enable this setting only if you plan to listen to music outside the server's network.

I read this as meaning it would 'direct stream' a flac file as a flac file....

Will have to rescan music with the setting off.

Thanks

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update:

Went ahead and disabled the Direct Stream option, rescanned, and now, my flac files play as flac.... no transcoding!

Edited by JDizzy

• 1 month later...
Guest petwri

Sorry to bring this one up again, but I had the direct stream enabled during the initial library scan, although I want direct playback of FLAC files. Now, after turning direct stream off, files still get converted to mp3. Do I need a db-reset and a full rescan to get it working properly?

dcrdev

Sorry to bring this one up again, but I had the direct stream enabled during the initial library scan, although I want direct playback of FLAC files. Now, after turning direct stream off, files still get converted to mp3. Do I need a db-reset and a full rescan to get it working properly?

Yes