Emby Movie Extras File / Title Naming

armouredking

armouredking

So, in the recent past when I tried to upgrade my hardware I encountered a bad backplane that destroyed 4 of my HDDs and wiped the primary raid. I had backups, and I've gotten around to repairing Emby. Since the backup wasn't fully up to date ( about a month behind ) and I didn't like my original structure, I decided to rebuild my Emby library.

I do not recall this behaviour in the past, but maybe it's always been there. So my library is all ripped from my DVDs / BRs with MakeMKV. This includes Extra features. I named the Extra feature's file names after their specifics, so "Making Of " would be a file name, or "Deleted Scenes", etc. Sometimes though, MakeMKV adds extra information to the file in the form of some title, generally speaking it's the DVD name. So for example "DVD_DISC_01_A" or the like.

For these special features that include this title that MakeMKV put into them, Emby is now displaying it instead of the file's namer. So instead of my filenames of "Deleted Scenes" "Character Interviews" "The Making Of" that make nice neat sense I instead have "DVD_DISC_01_A" "DVD_DISC_01_A" "DVD_DISC_01_A". I have attached an image of this in action, where I have one extra feature showing the "File name" and all the other ones showing the MakeMKV title ( because I didn't change them yet ).

In order to change the display name back to the file name I have to click on each Extra feature individually, stop the automatic playing of said feature, and then edit the metadata. I can't use the metadata entry because for movies there are no subfields ( TV shows for example have entries for each season but no such luck on movie's extras ).

In the future I think it'll be easiest to just make sure I sanitise MakeMKV's title field, but for my current library where I have several dozen ( at least ) of these extras with a generic title displayed instead of the file name, is there any way to get the filename back or in the future to have metadata be editable from the admin screen like with all the other files?

post-62987-0-33331700-1458512738_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...
DoubleDD

I'm running into the same problem.  Not sure why it was changed from the previous 'file name' listing to the metadata listing since it seemed to work perfectly fine before.

Just wondering Armouredking, you mention in your post above you were able to change the display name back to the file name.  Can you be a bit more specific on how you did this?

I can click on an extra and it starts to play, but what do you mean by 'stop the automatic playing of said feature, and then edit the metadata'.

I think I'm missing a step...

Thanks in advance...

DoubleDD

Just to answer my own question (and if anyone else needs to change their special features titles), I was able to access the metadata for the individual extras.

Open the Emby Web Client and go to any movie page that has extras you'd like to change the names of.

Right-click over the individual extra and select 'open link in new tab' (description may vary depending on browser), then select the browser tab that you just opened.

You'll notice it displays the extra just like a home page for a movie, including the 'edit icon'.  Click the edit icon, select 'edit' and you're at the metadata for the individual extra.

Here you can change the name of the extra.

A bit tedious if you have a lot of extra titles to change, but at least it's doable.