Kodi crashes when playing from home screen widgets

Deihmos

Deihmos

I installed Kodi on an iphone 6s plus and there is an issue when playing something from recently added from the homescreen. Kodi closes immediately after selecting something for playback. It plays fine if I play from in the menus but always crashes from the homescreen. It is set to transcode videos over a certain bitrate. 

kodi.log

kodi.old.log

Angelblue05

Is it possible for you to test a different Kodi version to see if you experience the same issue (Isengard)? Your logs, unfortunately does not provide any information as to what happened... Let me know :/

I have no problem using Jarvis 16.1, playback from widgets work normally...but again, it's not on my phone...

Edited by Angelblue05

Deihmos

I just tried 15.2 and it works fine. 16 and 16.1 crashes immediately. Guess I'll stick with that version.

Angelblue05

It's certainly weird. Is it all videos that crash on widget, or just the video you transcode? If you have a regular Kodi profile, without emby, do you have the same issue? Does direct stream work?

Deihmos

I thinks all videos will transcode because I set it to max 996kb. It works if the video has a resume. If not it closes immediately.

I did add a regular Kodi library to test and it didn't have any issues.

Edited by Deihmos
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
glassman

This exact same scenario happens to me on my iPhone 6s Plus in Kodi 16 or 16.1 with Emby for Kodi (Kodi crashes when attempting to play a movie from the home screen widget). I can also confirm that this does not happen using Kodi 15.2. It's frustrating because I even tried the same scenario using plexkodiconnect, and I had the same results, although the authors of that plugin do admit to shamelessly ripping off code from Emby.

Edited by glass.davidjoseph

glassman

Ok. If I find anything, I will let you know.

Is anyone monitoring this anymore? I can confirm this behavior does happen in Kodi 16 and up with iOS devices. I believe the OP hasn't posted anything since because he went back to 15.2 - which is also what I'm on now - but I would like to see a fix for this if possible.

• 3 weeks later...
glassman

I'm sorry, but is one of the devs going to help with this? 16.1 has been out for a few weeks, and this behavior still happens with iOS devices. It's not acceptable to stay on 15.2.

glassman

no need to be sorry, you did not do anything...did you?

Probably not, unless someone can reproduce it there is not a lot we can do.

Thanks for the reply. I think Angelblue05 is helping in another thread. I believe he's looking over the logs right now. It is definitely reproducible, but I don't think anyone on the support team has tried this specific scenario yet: http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/34805-kodi-crashes-when-playing-from-home-screen-widgets-moviestv-shows-on-ios-devices/?p=329046

Edited by glassman