Is it time to loose the Xbox extenders?

Info1

Well,

With the holiday season here there are deals everywhere.

I am running a media "server" that has MB3 installed. It also has Windows 8.1 with media center so I have MB classic installed as well. This empowers me to connect to my Xbox 360 an extender. I have 2 servers setup and 3 Xbox' as well.

My question today is should I plan to move away form Windows media center and use MB only that streams to a box located at my TV? Kids have Ipad mini's and we are streaming to them with no issue, thank you for the app.

So with all the boxing day specials what is the best box to use for streams, I assume an android based box. Server is too far away to run an long HDMI cable.

Thanks in advance.

m

Allan Cameron

As far as WMC goes, M$ has closed shop on the a while ago. Can't say I blame them because as far as WMC and extenders go with the 360 I found it unusable. Super slow and VERY leggy. Microsoft has moved on to other technologies so we will see where they take this over the next coming year. I can't really give my opinion too much on streaming boxes that support media browser as I have only used MB with the Roku. Having said that it is very functional and they did a beautiful job considering the limitations of the SDK. My advice would be to get opinions here as you are now, and check out YouTube videos and try and find all the different devices that support media browser and see what might work best for you.

Edited by Allan68
  • Like 2

To me it would really depend upon what you use WMC and the extenders for. If it is 100% solely for media browser and you don't use the live TV aspect of it, then yeah I might consider other things like the Roku. Don't get me wrong the interface of the extender can look better since it uses the theme you choose, but the Roku client will be a lot faster as far as navigation goes. It would also depend upon your media. Do you use files (eg. mkv's, mp4's) or do you use folder rips? If your using folder rips then obviously things might work better with the older xbox extender technology, but if your using files, then I think the Roku beats it. 

To me it would really depend upon what you use WMC and the extenders for. If it is 100% solely for media browser and you don't use the live TV aspect of it, then yeah I might consider other things like the Roku. Don't get me wrong the interface of the extender can look better since it uses the theme you choose, but the Roku client will be a lot faster as far as navigation goes. It would also depend upon your media. Do you use files (eg. mkv's, mp4's) or do you use folder rips? If your using folder rips then obviously things might work better with the older xbox extender technology, but if your using files, then I think the Roku beats it. 

Thanks for the input. I ripped my movie collection to mpeg and have been adding to it over the years with typical format, AVI-MKV-MP4 ect.

Seems the general thought might be a Roku box.

Thanks all who chimed in with information and advice.

m

see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fxkvbZEXBs#t=29 for an example of someone's library on the 360 with MB3.

Maybe the initial setup seems daunting for some, and getting the correct codecs installed, but its not really hard at all.

Its a piece of equipment you already own for gaming that you can multipurpose for watching movies/tv shows. What's not to like?

Just to give an opposing opinion, the xbox360's are perfect for streaming 1080p with full surround sound from my MB3 server (win 7). Almost all my rips are mkv (x264).

There are issues encountered but I found only when headers are compressed does the 360 fail to play it, Solution is to just load up mkvmerge and fix it, takes less than 5 minutes.

Brendon

For my money custom HTPC all the way.... completely configurable to do and play what you wish and upgrdeable as you need, my kids all use their notebooks connected to their tv's in bedrooms and i must say they feel the love MBS delivers :) MB2 really stressed them out. Kids also have it on their ipods although they are not a fan due to some visual issues, much nicer on pads.

I also gave up on extenders a couple of years back, too clunky too many file types they don't like and had to be transcoded which i hate (MB-WEBUI i am looking at you in regards to the latter, transcode my .flac will ya lmao), the other benefit i found using HTPC and being in Australia i can get around the co** blocking (use your imagination lol) from places like netflix, you tube etc..

Shyatic

Until I can watch TV entirely streaming, it's still important for me to have the Xbox 360. I watch some sports (rarely, but I do like big events like the Superbowl, Wimbledon, US Open), watch the news on occasion, etc. HBO doesn't do streaming and so I need it for that, and a lot of shows I record aren't available streaming at all -- even if I keep my cable subscription.

I don't mind paying for cable, but I'd like to be able to digest everything digitally... either through my PC, or through a Roku box or something like it. I have my HTPC for media for the kids, as well as pictures and other things so it's really great for that, and I use Xbox Music as well.

Right now my honest hope is that they work on Media Center, release an Xbox One Streaming device where you can use your PC to record/play back TV and work better with modern formats like MKV without hacking the crap out of the box to get it to work. That said, all my rips work but it takes some effort to get it working well.

Shyatic, what MKV issues are you having with your xbox360? I have no problems with 99% of the movies I download. There are issues when headers are compressed but there's even a fix with MB3 to autocorrect that.

I've been streaming effortlessly to 6 XBOX's I have positioned throughout the house for many years now and would be totally lost without this functionality. I've also recently purchased the MB3 Android client for the 3 tablet pc's that my kids use so they aren't just limited to watching media sat in front of their TV's.

What other hardware exists exactly that can be used to receive media streams from a MB3 PC server - is there a list available anywhere on this forum?

What's the most common piece of hardware used to receive media streaming that isn't a games console?

Cheesegeezer

The Roku is the best extender replacement right now.

Couldn't agree more, Gwc has done a great job and pushed the limitations of that little box to the max. The only thing that is lacking is the eye candy that you get from themes in MBC, its not his fault I know, which is why extenders still have the appeal.

• 3 months later...

I have a related question and I've not really seen it asked anywhere else here.  Is it on the MB3 roadmap to include streaming apps in the Server/Classic/Theater architecture? I use Server and Classic because I too have WMC7 extenders (I have the Linksys 2100 & 2200).  These extenders do not have the built-in streaming capabilites that XBox has.  We were hoping that Ceton would be able to combine WMC extender and Android streaming capabilities into one box through the Echo but that didn't happen either.  So the Echo now has ended up being just like the Linkysis and D-Link extenders (they do nothing but extend WMC7, no streaming capabilities).  If MBS & MBC had streaming capability it possibly then could be extended to these legacy devices.  Roku doesn't do encrypted TV so that makes it a non-started for some like me that have cable companies that encrypt all channels except locals.  People in this situation are still looking for the one device that can fit the bill of not having a PC at every TV but still do the same things that the host PC can do.  Is it in the plans to bring Netflix, Hulu, Pandora and the plethora of other internet streaming apps to MBS/MBC?  Just wanting to know what to look forward to (or not).

Thanks for all your work up to this point BTW.

• 3 months later...
DuffMan

My xbox is busy giving up the ghost as my extender for Windows Media Center and MB3

I am wanting to get away from WMC as quickly as possible but I am waiting for live TV to be integrated into Theatre so I can start using that.

I am now wondering what the best bet is for replacing my extender.

Last time I looked at the xbmc integration it was pretty basic.  I really like the idea of being able to just run a raspberry pi and power it straight of the tv usb ports, and tuck it behind it.  

Can you offer any advice on which client will support live tv on a extender like device? Roku, Chromecast, Apple TV, Openelec, or something else?

I am just trying to plan for the future when replacing this extender.

DuffMan

I got myself a chromecast, and it seems to work well with the mobile phone app.

I would have liked to be able to use it with the web interface directly on the phone and not the app as i prefer that, but it works.

No live tv though, hopefully it will come when they integrate it into theatre maybe?

I already have live TV working great on the web interface with the wmc server for livetv