Catsrules

Catsrules

What is the best way to add audiobooks into Emby?

I have looked around and it sounds like the best way is to add them as a separate Music library and call it good.

This sorta works however there is no resume support at all doing it this way and it also doesn't seem to want to play the next track.

Has anyone come up with a better solution? And is there any play for implementing an audio book features?

• Like 1

Catsrules

OK, well I guess I will keep an eye out for any improvements to Emby to add audio book support.

Thanks

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

@@Catsrules

You can try out audio book support in the latest beta release of Emby Server. Simply create a library using the Books content type. Once scanned in you can play and resume just like you would expect with audio books. Please try it out and give us your feedback, we're listening. Thanks !

• 4 weeks later...

This doesn't work for me.  I'm using v3.1.266.0 beta on linux. I've created a "Books" library with audio books from a few different sources and I can't resume playback on any of them.  Some are mp3 others are m4b (which I can't see in the library).  I've set the "min resume percentage" setting to 0 and I still can't resume playback. Am I missing something?

Hi @@xarath, i have tested with no problem found. Make sure to review the resume settings in the server dashboard. If you still have an issue then please discuss a specific example. thanks !

Hi @@Luke, thanks for your fast reply. As I could not get this to work, I did a clean install of v3.1.266.0 beta on linux and added my audio books library with no luck.

When I play the files, I noticed that the duration is unknown (--:--) and I cannot seek. I don't know if this could be related to my problem.

Also, when I go in the logs, I see that my mp3 file is being transcoded. Is this to be expected?

Last thing, in the transcoding log, in the first line with the file URL: CopyTimestamps=false.  I don't know if this is related.

Thanks for your help.

Catsrules

@@Catsrules

You can try out audio book support in the latest beta release of Emby Server. Simply create a library using the Books content type. Once scanned in you can play and resume just like you would expect with audio books. Please try it out and give us your feedback, we're listening. Thanks !

HI @@Luke

Sorry I missed your message,

I just setup a Beta version of Emby, for my audio books and it is working!! This is amazing.

I did experience the same thing as xarath, with no duration but like you pointed out the initial scan hasn't finish yet. Waited until that finished and everything worked perfectly. :)

I have test .m4a .m4b (Pretty sure both are just ACC codecs more of an apple thing) and .mp3 file type all worked.

One issue I notice is the default resume settings like min resume percentage and max resume percentage need to be change for audiobooks. 5% and 90% are a lot longer when your talking about 5-30hr audio files. And audio books don't have 20 minutes of credits at the end.  For example with a 310 minute audio book resume would only be enabled when it went past the 17-18 minute mark in the audio book. It would also consider it ended when there was 35 minutes left of the book obviously these numbers will only increase when you get longer books.

I changed it to Min at 1% and Max at 99% and that seams to have solved the problem, however I believe that is a general setting that applied to all of the media so this isn't a very good solution for a production Emby server. Maybe an audio resume option would be something to look into?

Apart from that this is amazing, can't wait to try it out in the real world situations!!

Edited by Catsrules
  • Like 1

Thanks for the feedback, and yes, the resume settings might need to differ per content type.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the feedback, and yes, the resume settings might need to differ per content type.

Hi Luke,

Old thread, but could you look into this?

Just wanted to see if I could stop using subsonic and switch everything to Emby, but the resume setting is a problem with Audiobooks.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
alchemi183

One issue I notice is the default resume settings like min resume percentage and max resume percentage need to be change for audiobooks. 5% and 90% are a lot longer when your talking about 5-30hr audio files. And audio books don't have 20 minutes of credits at the end.  For example with a 310 minute audio book resume would only be enabled when it went past the 17-18 minute mark in the audio book. It would also consider it ended when there was 35 minutes left of the book obviously these numbers will only increase when you get longer books.

I changed it to Min at 1% and Max at 99% and that seams to have solved the problem, however I believe that is a general setting that applied to all of the media so this isn't a very good solution for a production Emby server. Maybe an audio resume option would be something to look into?

What do you have in mind?

I haven't entered this thread yet, but I've been watching with interest, and also noticed that Luke hasn't had a reply yet to his latest question. Up until now I've only used TV and Movie library types, but I have a fairly decent collection of audiobooks and ebooks and would like the ability to stream the audiobooks from Emby, so I'll experiment with this feature. Thinking about playing back audiobooks, and how I would want Emby to remember where I am in the book, I agree with Catsrules that although the 5% / 90% rules for marking video as watched or not works fairly well for most movies and TV episodes, the thresholds for audiobooks should be different. Ideally, the values for how far into a book or how far from the end those triggers should happen would be configurable per-library. Rather than indicate a percentage, for audiobooks I think I'd want to use specific durations in that setting. If I had the ability, I'd set it to "in progress" if I was past the one minute mark from the beginning, and less than one minute from the end, no matter the duration of the book. In fact, I think it might be fine to hard code those specific values for audiobooks, if it's too much effort to make it a configurable setting for audiobooks.

Thanks for being open to feedback and suggestions regarding audiobooks! :) I really love Emby for what I'm using it for now. Thanks for all the effort!

Jack Burton

I haven't entered this thread yet, but I've been watching with interest, and also noticed that Luke hasn't had a reply yet to his latest question. Up until now I've only used TV and Movie library types, but I have a fairly decent collection of audiobooks and ebooks and would like the ability to stream the audiobooks from Emby, so I'll experiment with this feature. Thinking about playing back audiobooks, and how I would want Emby to remember where I am in the book, I agree with Catsrules that although the 5% / 90% rules for marking video as watched or not works fairly well for most movies and TV episodes, the thresholds for audiobooks should be different. Ideally, the values for how far into a book or how far from the end those triggers should happen would be configurable per-library. Rather than indicate a percentage, for audiobooks I think I'd want to use specific durations in that setting. If I had the ability, I'd set it to "in progress" if I was past the one minute mark from the beginning, and less than one minute from the end, no matter the duration of the book. In fact, I think it might be fine to hard code those specific values for audiobooks, if it's too much effort to make it a configurable setting for audiobooks.

Thanks for being open to feedback and suggestions regarding audiobooks! :) I really love Emby for what I'm using it for now. Thanks for all the effort!

I've been adding different media lately since I would love if eventually Emby served up all of my media. Ebooks, audiobooks and comics can be added, though they all take manual info for pics, synopsis, etc. Ebooks and comics are just for show right now since they can't be read in app, but I'm really hoping to be able to one day. Audiobooks work well for me set up as a book library. Totally agree with the percentages, it doesn't translate at all for this format. For example my copy of The Martian is split into chapters, so 26 audio files. I also wish it would autoplay the next file, but "play all from here" seems to work. Can't get it to play next after resume though

• 4 weeks later...
tyr_88

Tried audio and books noda

audio books in .mp3 - .mp4a - .mka

I get error popup and go away on screen fast trying to play, forgot the exact line

Fixing to try to produce will have to make the same setup again since deleted it and swapped to BOOKS just to give .mp4a and .mp3 a go there

As far as books I have gigabytes worth still have yet to be able to display one on network device is it still only a option to just download them from media server?

I keep seeing results about this plugin called Bookshelf I got the .zip for master collections plugins and put in my plugins folder shows nothing in my dashboard there is no such plugin in my Emby Admin Panel

Since I am, on those this is not book related but can we add our pull source like collections of videos from youtube creator info? I have tons of collections from friends over the years. I am atm having to use

TV  - \ folder name \ author name \ PATH>

It does not work like normal TV episodes I can have a Emby TV Icon and has a snapshot of the video preview in those. It is actually quit jumbled some folders not even showing

Edited by tyr_88

tyr_88

@@tyr_88 can you please describe "noda" in more detail? Thanks !

Sorry Luke apologies

I Meant as in nothing.

I finally found the audio book niche though must use UNSET (mixed content) adding to Library that finally worked

The books only show a cover though no file info or any information to download unless you hover the image and direct download from image where refresh is.

Bookshelf is there a secret to this I downloaded the emby plugin repositories from git you have in .zip format took bookshelf and placed in my servers plugin directory nothing will show on server for it or that it is even there.

Edited by tyr_88

That's not true, you should be using the Books content type. The bookshelf plugin is obsolete now.

tyr_88

That's not true, you should be using the Books content type. The bookshelf plugin is obsolete now.

I have some HTML format and the rest are PDF from

PC Server Browser > Phone APP > All I get on view is a image and file name metadata

I have to click the 3 dots open dialog and click download then sync begins once transferred to say phone even PC it will open and read in browser

Here are my directories and their content type

Roku Premiere +

Server Version - 3.2.10.0

Emby App version - BETA

NAME         /       CONTENT SETTING

Audio Books / mixed content

Books / books

History Docs / movies

Shorts / tv

Movies / movies

Music / music

Recordings / unset

TV / tv

I have no errors to trace anything so kind of stumped

Edited by tyr_88

We haven't really added book support into all of the emby apps yet. That part is going to take a little time. If you can browse the library in the web app then you've set it up correctly.

• Like 1

tyr_88

We haven't really added book support into all of the emby apps yet. That part is going to take a little time. If you can browse the library in the web app then you've set it up correctly.

Thanks Luke understand now it has navigation and I can Sync to Download to Device so that is proper TY again

Sorry if I worded anything above wrong

Trey

Edited by tyr_88

• 7 months later...

Each audiobook contains hundreds of mp3s or equivalent file format normally ,usually in a folder named as the author - Book title.

Is there a way to play or resume directly on the folder eg book, so you dont have to enter the directory and scroll down to the last played mp3?

Not yet.

I haven't thought about the idea to have audio books in emby before, but it's a really great idea. I am using "listen audiobook player" for android today, which have pretty much everything, except the possibility to have the audiobooks in the cloud, which is a very important feature as you don't want to download the same Book to all your devices manually, so if we could add the same player resume features as for movies and also the possibility to automatically download audio book covers and a continue listen widget, we are there, and emby has filled up a little void for audiobook listeners. Keep up the great work!

/joggs

Jack Burton

I haven't thought about the idea to have audio books in emby before, but it's a really great idea. I am using "listen audiobook player" for android today, which have pretty much everything, except the possibility to have the audiobooks in the cloud, which is a very important feature as you don't want to download the same Book to all your devices manually, so if we could add the same player resume features as for movies and also the possibility to automatically download audio book covers and a continue listen widget, we are there, and emby has filled up a little void for audiobook listeners. Keep up the great work!

/joggs

@@Inrego has put together a really solid app the runs through Emby. Keeps track of listened status and all that through the server, it's all I use now. Missing some bells and whistles and has the odd issue, but works pretty great overall, hopefully it can be integrated into Emby proper some day.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/50141-embook-proper-support-for-audiobooks/

• Like 1