Sync Issues / Offline Mode

dubs

nwcatalyst

Hi, sorry to hear this. I think there some issues syncing playlists that we're looking to but in the meantime, individual media should be fine. thanks.

I'm a bit upset that this still persists.

I am a premiere subscriber and really looking for a way to get large groups of media (music playlists, artists, etc) on my phone and have it auto-update. These features are not working. The sync for music playlists repeats the same few songs over and over again and never completes the task. Individual files, as mentioned, works fine, but this is ridiculous in trying to manage a large music library and have local content on my phone's SD card to save data use.

When will this be fixed?

Also looking forward to offline playing, but for now I am able to use my phone's native music/video players just fine.

Edited by nwcatalyst
  • Like 1

cuddlepuncher

I'm a bit upset that this still persists.

I am a premiere subscriber and really looking for a way to get large groups of media (music playlists, artists, etc) on my phone and have it auto-update. These features are not working. The sync for music playlists repeats the same few songs over and over again and never completes the task. Individual files, as mentioned, works fine, but this is ridiculous in trying to manage a large music library and have local content on my phone's SD card to save data use.

When will this be fixed?

Also looking forward to offline playing, but for now I am able to use my phone's native music/video players just fine.

I share your feelings on this. It was a planned feature back in March but no sign of any improvements. To be honest, I regret purchasing the "lifetime" premiere subscription.  The music sync just does not work correctly or reliably and I never use the app on my phone or emby at all really because I get frustrated at how many things don't work or missing features.  It works great as my backend for Kodi, but it's kind of overkill for just that and I didn't need premiere to use it for that.

I don't mean to dump on Emby. I like the project and I do appreciate all the work that has gone into and I'm sure is continually going into it.  For my uses it's just not there and it's not very useful to me at the present and I don't see a lot of progress towards the things that are keeping me from using it more.

Sorry Luke and Emby team for the rant and thanks for your hard work.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
nwcatalyst

Just to offer an update, the latest beta is syncing flawlessly - just tried with 120 songs under an Artist and worked fast and completely. 

I tried to comment to Luke on the other thread but he locked/closed it.

Thanks team! Very happy that we have this space to have our voices heard and that the devs are active in creating a product that serves their community! 

• Like 1

nwcatalyst

Bah - may have spoken too soon! 

The sync appeared to complete. I saw all files nicely listed in my file manager and the task looked complete on the Emby Server and in the Android app.

However, when reconnected to the WiFi network again, it automatically starts the whole process over again... and never stops..... 

Could this be related to "automatically add new content" option ? I haven't added anything new to the playlist, just curious if it may be due to that...

UPDATE

I went ahead and tried another sync with "auto add new content" disabled and the same issue persists. It still completes the sync successfully. I then disconnected the wifi network, reconnected, and it immediately began re-syncing all songs... When I "remove download" from the sync settings screen, it doesn't actually delete the songs from my device (is it supposed to?). 

Edited by nwcatalyst

• 4 weeks later...
andcbii

Hi, we have not yet added offline viewing into the app but it's a planned feature for the future. In the meantime, the videos are stored in an easy to read directory structure so you can just watch them by opening the file using a file browsing program like ES Explorer. I'll look at the progress issue you're mentioning. Thanks.

What folder is it saved to?

You may want to add that information here:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Sync

• 2 weeks later...
mrmarkfr

Is the offline playing not yet available?  I'm starting to be very glad that I only purchased a month subscription to try Emby out, mobile sync on Windows and Android were 1 of the main reasons for looking at a solution away from Kodi.  Any word on when the offline playback will be available?

I know I can play the videos with another player(ironically, I'm going to be playing them back with Kodi), but this won't allow any of watched status to be synced, will it?

mrmarkfr

Sorry for sounding annoyed, 1am here and I just found out that the feature I thought I had spent the evening setting up for didn't work.

I'll get Kodi to scan the files, track the watched status, update via Trakt, and that will dump it back into my Kodi

• 1 month later...
tyr_88

Due to recent changes to the Android OS, it may be because it no longer has permission to write to the SDCard.  If you set the path to your device storage it will work.

There is a work around, WITHOUT rooting your device!  You have to connect the SD card to your computer (not via your device, but using an adapter or something).  Then you create an android folder, and then a program folder for emby (copy it from your device storage).  Then you have read/write access within that folder.

I'd double check that though since I'm writing this off the top of my head and I did this months ago...

It's annoying, but it should work for you until we bitch enough to get it fixed in Android OS

Having this issue as well just set mobile up for uploading media to one of my TB storage drives.

Then setup SYNC and a direct path to custom folder Emby_Media_Sync

content://com.android.externalstorage.documents/tree/{Folder}

Not sending file I have straight 100mbps fiber and it is definitely not network, going to give it one more go and wait longer

• 4 months later...

@@dubs

@@CBers

@@teshiburu

@@Sammy

@@cherup

@@Dizzy49

@@ddjj767

@@cuddlepuncher

@@Deihmos

@@essjay

@@nwcatalyst

@@andcbii

@@mrmarkfr

@@tyr_88

2.9.32 is rolling out and supports offline browsing and playback. The feature is still very new so please make sure to leave your feedback and we will continue to improve it. Thanks !

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
tyr_88

All is working well here for Droid

Is bookshelf being worked on? I noticed some activity in the git repository

shimmerknight

If im online and have files sync'ed will playback use the local copy if one is available instead of streaming from the server?

This would be preferable to save on data usage. 

Thanks

If im online and have files sync'ed will playback use the local copy if one is available instead of streaming from the server?

Yes.