An Additional Metadata Database / Indexer

Deliah Blue

Deliah Blue
Hi everyone, first post here so I hope this is in the right area. I just wanted to share a bit of an idea to gauge interest and opinions from the Emby community.

Myself and a few friends are all loyal Emby Server users but have always had the problem of having to manually manage metadata for content we like to have available on our media centers, but is not indexed on The TVDB. This is content along the lines of:

• Sport (WWE, NBA, UFC)
  • Adult films
  • Training and course videos (CBT Nuggets, Linda, Khan Academy)
  • Youtube videos / channels
  • Music Videos

Unfortunately with the TVDB's policy on some of the above, we have had to manually produce the metadata and generate our NFO files. To remedy this, I had thrown together a database / API and developed a quick and nasty scraper that would retrieve the data from our DB and generate the NFOs for us. This has been working quite well for us but unfortunately the metadata still had to be added and maintained in the database by the handful of us using it, which has now lead to the idea of making a more public database/site/api that everyone can use and everyone can contribute to.

The idea, outside of what we use ourselves currently, is definitely in its infancy but it would essentially be a DB for everything else. 

So with that said, I thought I would just put this out there and see if there was any interest in the Emby community for an additional indexer/database.
Edited by Deliah Blue
  • Like 3

spootdev

It would be nice to have an api to access the data listed above that doesn't get much love.  However, that being said.......I'd have to see how complete the data is before jumping all in.  Wasted time before coding up calls to API's that ended up being nearly useless due to lack of data.

Deliah Blue

It would be nice to have an api to access the data listed above that doesn't get much love.  However, that being said.......I'd have to see how complete the data is before jumping all in.  Wasted time before coding up calls to API's that ended up being nearly useless due to lack of data.

Completely understandable. At this point though, unfortunately, it is in very early stages. I really just wanted to determine if there was any interest for such an indexer before I began development. It would be a little while before it would be ready for public consumption and have enough content to be worth development of a scraper/saver, but I'm sure in time it could become a definite asset to the Emby community.

To add to my initial post, I've decided to go ahead with this project and see where it goes. I would definitely love to hear any ideas or suggestions on what you would like to see indexed. I am currently working through putting together a schema for each content type, so definitely let me know if there is media you have that you would love to see have metadata available.

Out of all those I think (guessing) that music videos would have the largest audience. Audio books is probably the largest of all possible audiences that we could add native support for, if we wanted.

Randomacts

Out of all those I think (guessing) that music videos would have the largest audience. Audio books is probably the largest of all possible audiences that we could add native support for, if we wanted.

I think the best way to go about this for the more niche stuff would be to make it easy for devs to make plugins to do this and then some of it could actually go upstream to emby proper.

I would have to suggest however that you would most likely want to keep adult stuff as fan plugins to distance yourself from them but still have it supported by the community.

Edited by Randomacts

The main issue with allowing for "plug-in" types is that the apps then have no knowledge of them and cannot design appropriate views.  So, there is really no getting around some of that stuff being in the core and then, also, the apps if we want good presentations for the content.

spootdev

Oops, I should have been more specific.  Obviously you wont' have alot of data when starting.  I should have said the quality of the data.  :D

The one I was whining about had alot of data....which was mostly links to wikipedia in the json result. :(

Randomacts

The main issue with allowing for "plug-in" types is that the apps then have no knowledge of them and cannot design appropriate views.  So, there is really no getting around some of that stuff being in the core and then, also, the apps if we want good presentations for the content.

I mean technically that just how it is currently.. The question (and it is most likely not) if it is worth the man hours and possible issues to change that. 

mediacowboy

The ones I would like would be eBooks and Music Video's. I would even be willing to add the data for my stuff but to have a central database would be awesome

• 2 months later...
jasonmcroy

I could use a Sports Db and music videos. I already upload some images I have created for movies and TV Shows to the fanart.tv website. I would even be willing to help work on and create some images for sports and music videos to add into a db of this type.