Conditions for metadata update

anderbytes

anderbytes

Can anyone help me understand how exactly Emby decides whether to pull or not metadata from a provider?

Scenario:

- After noticing that a parental rating for a movie PG-13 was incorrect, I went to TheMovieDB and discovered that parental metadata for my country wasn't there, so it was returning the fallback English.

- In TMDB I inserted the parental rating BR-14 for Brazil, and saved.

- When trying to refresh metadata for the library or movie, it hasn't updated the rating as expected.

- Turned on "debugging log" in Emby.

- In logs, even after full refreshed, TheMovieDB wasn't being queried.

- Removed alternative providers for Movies. Didn't work.

- Reestarted server. Didn't work also.

- Erased the .nfo file in the folder. Full refreshed. Worked.

I began to think that if NFO exists... it would ignore Intenter provider querying....

but then I remembered that when I update some info as description in TMDB, sometimes it gets automatically, after a simple refresh.

So... what happended in the ratings case? What is the priority (internet, nfo)?

Tnx

Local metadata always takes priority - unless you manually tell it to replace it.

Also, updates in TMDb can take up to a couple of weeks to be visible to their API.  What you see on their website isn't exactly the same as what is exposed via the API.

anderbytes

Local metadata always takes priority - unless you manually tell it to replace it.

I used the "Refresh" - "Full refresh" considering it as a manual replace action. Didnt work.

Also, updates in TMDb can take up to a couple of weeks to be visible to their API.  What you see on their website isn't exactly the same as what is exposed via the API.

As I told above... the query hasn't even been executed by Emby until I deleted the .NFO . After deleting it... the query appears in the log.

Browsing manually the query (API query) returned me the correct info, didn't have to wait couple of weeks this time.

Edited by anderbytes

whenever you click the refresh button on an individual titles it does a full refresh - subject to your metadata settings though.

anderbytes

Okay I believe you... but somehow the TheMovieDB isn't being queried every time,

That's why I asked if it skips TMDB in some IF's in the code

we cache tmdb info for up to 48 hours I believe, so that is why. it was refreshing from the cached content.

• Like 1

anderbytes

we cache tmdb info for up to 48 hours I believe, so that is why. it was refreshing from the cached content.

Good! Thanks for the info. That could explain what happened.

Shouldn't this information be visible somewhere in Emby in Metadata section?

Shouldn't this information be visible somewhere in Emby in Metadata section?

Which information?

anderbytes

Something as "Please note that metadata is cached and old information can be visible for up to 48hs after modification in provider's DB".

The place: inside metadata section, in a "?" at the right of "The Movie DB" options.

Or if it applies to all providers... it should be a "?" tip more above, without specifying an unique provider.

Personally, I think that would just be confusing to most users.  It is also something that could be different for different providers and change over time with program logic so would be very hard to keep accurate and meaningful.

anderbytes

Personally, I think that would just be confusing to most users.  It is also something that could be different for different providers and change over time with program logic so would be very hard to keep accurate and meaningful.

Ok, it's your call.

As I already know this and will always consider this variable, it won't make a difference to me.

I suggested it only to spread the explanation.

Caching is a good thing, but I think that in such situations where a full metadata refresh is explicitly initiated by the user, the cache should be ignored and the data always be re-fetched from the remote providers.

• Like 1

anderbytes

Caching is a good thing, but I think that in such situations where a full metadata refresh is explicitly initiated by the user, the cache should be ignored and the data always be re-fetched from the remote providers.

Related to what I said in http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/30824-french-language-not-used-even-if-selected-in-metadata/?p=314641

Except that opens up the ability for us to absolutely hammer the free metadata providers that we use for this data.

anderbytes

Except that opens up the ability for us to absolutely hammer the free metadata providers that we use for this data.

So how to prevent that data will always be incorrect/old?

You understand people can just delete the cache folder and the NFO files and this will flood the entire provider, right?

OK... another suggestion then...

As the goal here is to correct wrong metadata... what about allowing users to only UNITARILY (item by item, as needed) rebuild it's CACHE+NFO ?

This way... providers won't be flooded unnecessarily with library rebuilds, wrong items will be corrected when noticed, and everybody ends winning.

Edited by anderbytes

I didn't mean to make this work recursively. But explicitly refreshing an individual item should at least remote-refresh THIS items metadata.

(actually what @@anderbytes described)

I didn't mean to make this work recursively. But explicitly refreshing an individual item should at least remote-refresh THIS items metadata.

(actually what @@anderbytes described)

Yes, but, if you do that on a folder, then that manual refresh happens to everything under it.

anderbytes

Yes, but, if you do that on a folder, then that manual refresh happens to everything under it.

Agree, that would be bad.

By item: good :)

And I wouldn't change that. Just perform a full refresh (including remote refresh) for the actual item and process subitems just like it's done today.