Subtitles question

cvika
Go to solution Solved by Angelblue05,

Is there a way to use subtitle in .mkv file as default?

All my movies have 2 subtitles - one external MovieName.srt and one internal with language code (srp) as default and not forced. When use HTTP instead of SMB always is active external subtitle that does not have all the letters (wrong code page). Manually I can switch to internal subtitle and all is OK. On DirectPath working OK, Kodi use external subtitle but code page is OK.

Angelblue05

Direct streaming means we are also streaming the subtitles over http. They are manually added to the video player at the time of playback. If you try to select the internal track and set "use as default for all videos" do you have the desired result? Perhaps you can set the default subtitles in Kodi settings > video > subtitles and choosing the language.

Direct streaming means we are also streaming the subtitles over http. They are manually added to the video player at the time of playback. If you try to select the internal track and set "use as default for all videos" do you have the desired result? Perhaps you can set the default subtitles in Kodi settings > video > subtitles and choosing the language.

First thank you for answer.

I try "use as default for all videos" but work only on actual video (when I play same video again) - next video again have wrong subtitle.

In Kodi I set Serbian language and Central Europe character set as default. Emby server recognize subtitles as Extrenal (srt without language code) and internal as Serbian but send to Kodi wrong subtitle. I set in user preferences Serbian language for subtitles (in Emby server).

When I try same files (on same machine) in Plex media server and Kodi plugin subtitle working (recognize two subtitles but send Internal).

Any chance to disable external subtitles by Emby, and use only internal?

Angelblue05

I think you'd have the proper behavior if you would direct play instead of direct streaming. What do you mean by "send to Kodi wrong subtitle"? I will look into adding an option to ignore external subtitles - we only append them for direct stream anyway.

I think you'd have the proper behavior if you would direct play instead of direct streaming. What do you mean by "send to Kodi wrong subtitle"? I will look into adding an option to ignore external subtitles - we only append them for direct stream anyway.

Send external (srt) subtitle instead internal. External subtitles have same names like movie files (without language code) and kodi recognized it as Unkonwn while internal subtitiles have language code and kodi recognizied it as Serbian (with corect code page - 1252 instead 1250).

Angelblue05

Yes, it's a limitation of Kodi. There's no way to define the subtitles language when it's a url. However, I was thinking maybe we can just download the srt locally to Kodi, then it would be able to get the language code.

Then delete the temp folder when kodi is shut down/profile changed or something...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelblue05

Not bad idea - I will try tomorrow to change file name of subtitle in moviename.srp.srt and test emby server. My library in start not have internal subtitles, I add them year ago (in time when emby not working with external subtitles). I can delete all external subtitles (not needed now anymore) and then kodi play only internal subtitle, but... maybe in few years I need them again :-)

• Solution
Angelblue05

It wouldn't help, it's a url. This is what it looks like: 

{server}/Videos/blahIds/Stream.srt

It doesn't include the language tag in the url, so Kodi is unable to detect the language and defaults to displaying "External". Anyway, I will look into giving the option to disable the external subtitles when direct streaming until I have time to work on this.

• Like 1