Direct Play setup

rcarteraz
Go to solution Solved by Angelblue05,

rcarteraz

So, I know this has been posted before but I can't for the life of me get this to work. I'm hoping someone could help me out. I have all my media on V:\ (V:\Movies and V:\TV Shows) which is two drives pooled together. I can access everything just fine through Kodi from my Fire TV it just doesn't direct play. I want it to direct play and can't seem to get that to work. What would be the proper way to configure the server and add-on to allow for direct play?

mellomade

Make sure you libraries are set up on your server pointing to UNC paths (rather than direct drive paths) or use path substitutions.

• Like 1

rcarteraz

Make sure you libraries are set up on your server pointing to UNC paths (rather than direct drive paths) or use path substitutions.

I'm sorry.. I'm not sure how to do that....  :wacko:

Angelblue05

Looks formatted correctly. If you try to access the end path (\\192.168.0.8\Movies), does it work? 

Note, you could have also done From: V:\ To: \\192.168.0.8\

• Like 1

rcarteraz

Looks formatted correctly. If you try to access the end path (\\192.168.0.8\Movies), does it work? 

Note, you could have also done From: V:\ To: \\192.168.0.8\

When I access it via the browser on my computer it doesn't show the file list....

Oh.. I'll do that then, seems easier.

Now for the add-on side what do I need to configure to ensure it see this correctly?

Angelblue05

Ok, so give it a try in Kodi, make sure the emby add-on settings > playback > play from http instead of smb is disabled. Let me know :)

• Like 1

rcarteraz

Ok, so give it a try in Kodi, make sure the emby add-on settings > playback > play from http instead of smb is disabled. Let me know :)

Okay, still says it's unable to direct play. 

My computer that I'm running the server from has a username and password. Does that need to be configured in the add-on at all?

Angelblue05

Yes, add-on settings > playback > Network credentials

For server, you'd put the ip, so it matches your paths. Then username and password, restart Kodi. Make sure the setting play from http is still disabled. :)

• Like 1

rcarteraz

Yes, add-on settings > playback > Network credentials

For server, you'd put the ip, so it matches your paths. Then username and password, restart Kodi. Make sure the setting play from http is still disabled. :)

Just to clarify the ip it should be \\192.168.0.8\ as it is under Path Substitution? Then same id and password for the computer?

• Like 1

• Solution
Angelblue05

Correct (drop the slashes). This is so Kodi can access your shares over the network. You want to enter the windows credentials where your content is located.

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

rcarteraz

Correct (drop the slashes). This is so Kodi can access your shares over the network. You want to enter the windows credentials where your content is located.

Okay, I'm going crazy.. It still failed. I've done everything exactly as shown....

rcarteraz

Wait... So instead of \\192.168.0.8\ just use 192.168.0.8?

Okay, dropped the slashes... And I'm pretty sure it's working now. Tried 3 different videos, no failed message and no message saying it's going to play via HTTP. THANK YOU!!!!

Edited by rcarteraz
  • Like 1

Angelblue05

Sorry, I saw that you had slashes in there, I thought I edited my post quickly enough :(

Glad you got it working, to confirm, you can check your emby dashboard and mouseover the kodi device while you are playing something.

• Like 1

rcarteraz

Sorry, I saw that you had slashes in there, I thought I edited my post quickly enough :(

Glad you got it working, to confirm, you can check your emby dashboard and mouseover the kodi device while you are playing something.

Yup, shows as direct playing. Appreciate it very much!

Also, I just added your extension to Chrome. It's pretty cool! I'll be sure to thank you for your time tomorrow when I get paid.

• Like 2