FR: Pin code access for restricted content

mjktg99

mjktg99

Scenario; main tv has a roku or other stb that is used by all. That emby account is restricted to pg only. Instead of changing accounts in emby, could there be a prompt for a pin to access pg13 + content? I've seen this on a cable box back when I used to have them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

The cable box worked that way because it had no concept of different users.

MB 2 used to work this way too but, when we designed Emby around users we went away from that model - and no one has really looked back since.

One thing I can suggest is that you can use another device logged into a user with proper access to send the video to the device that doesn't.  So, you could bring up the web browser in your phone and play whatever you want to the Roku.

mjktg99

+1 for mjktg99 and his "private content" :-d

*naughty*

Not at all what I am talking about (that stuff is only accessible to my account anyway) because in this scenario, that stuff would still be visible just not playable.  Which is what I'm after.  I have the best 5yr old son who doesn't have to wake me up at 7am on the weekend I just don't want him to be playing an r rated movie because he knows hes not allowed.  At some point, that rule follower will replaced by the rule tester.

@@ebr as an aside and this may already be a feature that I'm not using because I hide all my users from the log in screen, is there an option to save the password?  So it can work more like Netflix where I pick the profile but I don't need to sign into the account everytime? 

anderbytes

I was only joking. I also have a small child and I know exactly what you're saying.

What I did was create a user for him and make it passwordless inside home network. And make his account very restricted.

mjktg99

What I did was create a user for him and make it passwordless inside home network. And make his account very restricted.

I'm just trying to make it as easy as possible to get to my content or switch user. Putting in a password every time with a 6 button remote is annoying..

anderbytes

Maybe devs can create a way so another kinds of password input are possible. Patterns like Android, maybe?

Imagine if what you said was implemented. Me as the mais user and unrestricted would have to input a pass everything something different than PG needs playing...

Vidman

If you give your account an easy pin for local access , changing to your account/another user should be almost as simple as entering a pin to access restricted content

Edited by Vidman

mjktg99

If you give your account an easy pin for local access , changing to your account/another user should be almost as simple as entering a pin to access restricted content

I just looked at those settings and it might give what I want. Thanks for the suggestion @@Vidman

Happy2Play

In the end you are still logging in and playing media on an account with full access.  ebr's "play to" option is more realistic for the scenario.

• Agree 1

mjktg99

In the end you are still logging in and playing media on an account with full access. ebr's "play to" option is more realistic for the scenario.

yeah. I just tried the pin and switching accounts. It's to cumbersome for what I'm used to and looking to do. I'll have to try the play to option..

• 7 years later...

In part of our authentication improvements, we plan to do a variation of this that will hopefully satisfy the request.  Our plan is to add an optional additional layer of access security to accounts with a PIN.  So, you would designate a particular account always needs to provide that PIN for access.