zenapples

When I attempt to upgrade my current version of Emby Server (3.0.5821.0) which is working properly, I am met with a "Cannot Start Application. Application cannot be started. Contact the application vendor." message. When I click on the Details button, I am presented with the following Diagnostic Report:                                                                       

PLATFORM VERSION INFO

Windows : 10.0.10240.0 (Win32NT)
Common Language Runtime : 4.0.30319.42000
System.Deployment.dll : 4.6.114.0 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE
clr.dll : 4.6.127.1 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE
dfdll.dll : 4.6.114.0 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE
dfshim.dll : 10.0.10240.16384 (th1.150709-1700)

SOURCES

IDENTITIES
Deployment Identity : MediaBrowser.Server.Installer.application, Version=3.0.1.59, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=XXXXXXXXXXXXX (removed for security purposes), processorArchitecture=x86

APPLICATION SUMMARY
* Online only application.

ERROR SUMMARY
Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
+ Activation failed.
+ The system cannot find the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
* [3/11/2016 10:20:08 PM] : Processing of deployment manifest has successfully completed.

ERROR DETAILS
Following errors were detected during this operation.
* [3/11/2016 10:20:08 PM] System.Deployment.Application.DeploymentException (Activation)
- Activation failed.
- Source: System.Deployment
- Stack trace:
at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore.ActivateApplication(DefinitionAppId appId, String activationParameter, Boolean useActivationParameter)
at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore.ActivateApplication(DefinitionAppId appId, String activationParameter, Boolean useActivationParameter)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.Activate(DefinitionAppId appId, AssemblyManifest appManifest, String activationParameter, Boolean useActivationParameter)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)
--- Inner Exception ---
System.IO.FileNotFoundException
- The system cannot find the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)
- Source: System.Deployment
- Stack trace:
at System.Deployment.Application.NativeMethods.CorLaunchApplication(UInt32 hostType, String applicationFullName, Int32 manifestPathsCount, String[] manifestPaths, Int32 activationDataCount, String[] activationData, PROCESS_INFORMATION processInformation)
at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore.ActivateApplication(DefinitionAppId appId, String activationParameter, Boolean useActivationParameter)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
* Transaction at [3/11/2016 10:20:08 PM]
+ System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.StoreOperationSetDeploymentMetadata
- HRESULT: 0x0
+ System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.StoreTransactionOperationType (27)
- HRESULT: 0x0

I have attached the most recent Emby Server log, but it probably won't reveal any information pertinent to this problem, because the version of Emby Server that I'm trying to update still starts correctly, without any problem.

zenapples

Thank you Luke. Clearing the ClickOnce cache from the command prompt, as suggested in the link (rundll32 dfshim CleanOnlineAppCache) did the trick. I am very impressed with how quickly this was resolved. Your response was only 5 minutes after my initial post! I returned to the forum 1 hour later and saw your response, then implemented the first suggestion in the link you provided. After doing so, I then attempted to update Emby Server and found it ran successfully. I am grateful beyond measure for this exceptional support. Turn-around time, from initial report to resolution and getting my Emby Server running again was less than one hour. Amazing! ***** Five Stars