Collection-level metadata settings

bigjohn

Probably a long shot, but I'll throw it out there anyway.

I would like to be able to control metadata settings for each individual media collection.  Right now, metadata settings apply to all collections (save metadata within media folders, enable automatic updates, etc.).  I do want the metadata stored within my movie and tv collections, but don't want it stored within my music collection.  I share the music collection with other users and use it with several devices/software packages, all the extra files created by metadata collection clutter things up tremendously.

I am currently deleting thousands of album.xml files and fanart folders ;)  Whoops.  Didn't even think about that when I added my music collection.

Thanks for the consideration!

Koleckai Silvestri

You can turn off metadata collection by content type in the Server dashboard. It would apply across all Collections of that type though. In the Web client's dashboard go to Metadata > Advanced and uncheck the types you don't want to collect information for.

WWWestern

...Metadata > Advanced and uncheck the types you don't want to collect information for.

Hmm, in 3.0.5105.2208 (dev) the checks are missing. Or have I missed something?

the checks were not done right. they expose our internal object names. we need a friendlier way of doing it, e.g. "movies", or "music". for now just disable per entire folder as needed

Koleckai Silvestri

Hmm, in 3.0.5105.2208 (dev) the checks are missing. Or have I missed something?

Hmm.. I was only running beta level and am currently running 3.0.5099.2102. Do have an update ready though.

Thanks for the responses guys, but disabling metadata collection for the music collection does not really address the issue.  I DO still want metadata to be collected by MB3, just not stored within the media folders of my music collection.  I really like the addition of artist logos, banners, extra fan art, etc., just don't want it in with my music collection that I have spent a lot of time cleaning up and maintaining.

Edited by bigjohn322

Sounds more like you want the feature request to be a turn on/off saving metadata function per collection.

• Like 1

Sounds more like you want the feature request to be a turn on/off saving metadata function per collection.

Well, if that is the appropriate way to phrase it then ok. I do want it to save the music metadata, just not inside my music collection folders. Another location on disk would be fine, perhaps even a configurable location?

Well, if that is the appropriate way to phrase it then ok. I do want it to save the music metadata, just not inside my music collection folders. Another location on disk would be fine, perhaps even a configurable location?

I'm not sure saving into another folder would be the correct way. I think if you didn't want it to save the metadata it would just keep it in the internal database (or cache locations). Same way it works now if you turn off metadata saving completely.

WWWestern

Could be done by same model, which has recently changed for chapter image extraction setting.

Change here...

52b9b21ac5151_1.png

...to something like

52b9b230ef018_2.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just realized I never came back to this.  Yes WWWestern, that would be one way to handle it.  I guess I was thinking of having the "Save metadata within media folders" checkbox as another option inside each collection alongside the choices for "Folder type" and "Media Locations".