All recordings are transcoding live tv direct plays.

denz
Go to solution Solved by krustyreturns,

denz

Hi Krusty,

Hopefully you can help.

I have updated to the preview release and now I will say 95% of the time for live tv in Android it is Direct Playing there are few times on some channels first time it may say transcoding and then you go again it is direct playing. It is a huge improvement over stable version as there most if not all were transcoding.

Now the main issue still is that every recording is transcoding. I have provided two samples and they are of those channels that are some time direct playing and some time transcoding.

I have checked and there definitely the remux option is disabled in the debug screen.

http://1drv.ms/1WghXWB​

http://1drv.ms/1WghZ0z​

Thank you

krustyreturns

Hi denz,

Thanks for the info on live-tv.  Strange about the wtv problem, I doubt it can be caused by a change in serverwmc because if you have remux off all we do is point emby at the wtv files (unless you are using http for streaming recordings too - see http tab).  Consider posting your serverwmc log so I can see how you have it configured.  

Also, I'd be curious to see the serverwmc log for when a channel transcodes one time but doesn't the next.

denz

Hi Krusty,

It is just seems to be doing it for two channels it is channel 9 Go! the first time I played it was direct playing and then second time I played it is transcoding.

If I untick use URL instead of SMB/UNC paths for Recorded TV it makes no difference. One benefit I found by unticking that box is that I have thumbnails of my records. I was wondering why some time I have thumbnails and sometimes not but as soon as I unticked that it created thumbnails.

Emby Theater direct plays all recordings whether be it on the pc that has emby theater installed or any other pc in the household so the only issue is Android client and when I watch a recording in the status in the active streams nothing gets displayed. I am on the beta server and preview for serverwmc.

Thanks

Edited by denz

• Solution
krustyreturns

I think I see why you are getting that live stream channel behavior, and it appears to be a bug in serverwmc.  To test my theory, in the config file of serverwmc search for UseHeadersForAudioFileExt, and set it equal to false.  Then see if the direct play happens every time for that Go! channel.  

As for the recordings, as expected, Emby is just playing the file directly (since you turned off the 'Use URLs' setting) so the question of why direct play is not happening needs to be answered by the emby guys.  However, if the setting change mentioned above works to fix the live direct play problem, then it might fix the recordings direct play problem too if you turn back on the use of URLs for recordings (but you'll need to restart emby after making this setting change).

• Like 2

denz

That did the trick i tried it many times throughout the day and all live tv is direct playing. I copied a movie across to a movie folder and it is transcoding so that rules serverwmc out it is something that changed in the android app that is transcoding wtv and dvr-ms files so I will post there.

I turned back URL back on and still the same for recordings however as i mentioned in above posts emby cant create thumbnails as soon as I turn it off thumbnails are created within few seconds very weird behaviour.

Thank

• 4 months later...
epayson85

What settings are you using to get your livetv to direct stream with serverwmc?  Mine has always transcoded and has forced me to use the hdhomerun app / live channels to avoid this.  I would love to direct stream instead!

epayson85

Also just an FYI I have gotten my android clients to say they aren't transcoding anymore however FFMPEG is still running on my server so it is in fact transcoding despite what the android client might be saying.

Also just an FYI I have gotten my android clients to say they aren't transcoding anymore however FFMPEG is still running on my server so it is in fact transcoding despite what the android client might be saying.

no that's not necessarily true, sometimes it is just a container swap and we don't consider that transcoding. I would try the built-in Live TV along with the latest HDHR firmware, there are lots of improvements there to give you more direct play.

epayson85

no that's not necessarily true, sometimes it is just a container swap and we don't consider that transcoding. I would try the built-in Live TV along with the latest HDHR firmware, there are lots of improvements there to give you more direct play.

Well its using my CPU so I consider it transcoding haha and its what I am trying to avoid.  Shouldn't VLC just open the stream given by serverwmc?  I attached my serverwmc log just in case there is something I'm not seeing.  If I take that DLNA stream and put it right into vlc it plays great.

ServerWMC.log

try the built in live tv as a point of comparison, along with the latest hdhr firmware.

epayson85

I can't go to the livetv with emby because I also have ceton tuners which I use with WMC.  Plus I don't see myself leaving wmc any time soon.  The tv guide, commercial skipping, and even emby on wmc is just better than anything else out there.  If the emby android clients could direct play livetv and WTV files it would be quite the perfect setup.