Weird issues in "Play To" with DLNA devices

Bartouille

Bartouille
Hi all,

I've spent many time searching on the web for an answer to my problem and found nothing. Obviously, it is not a bug in Emby so I won't open a bug report.

The facts :

- I've installed Emby Server on a Windows 10 PC and it worked flawlessly with the browser client for a couple of hours, especially the "Play To" on dlna devices (Samsung Smart TV and Yamaha Amp, both connected to network)

- For easier machine uptime, I've installed Emby Server on another Windows 10 (x64 family) PC which is directly connected to TV and amp

- When installed, Emby web didn't show my TV and my amp in Play To but found others applications like Kodi

- I made a new fresh install of Windows 10 on the machine. Get avast, Chrome and Emby server running : TV and amp were back in Play to (hurrah !)

- After doing more software installations on this PC, TV and amp vanished again from play to (argh !)

What I tried :

- Checked all network config : no problem (and indeed W10 can access and cas to these devices)

- Unplugged and plugged the devices and reboot computer

- Reinstalled again W10 from scratch (3 times) but never get back my devices in Play to

- Installed other DLNA chrome apps for testing : they can't detect these two devices too

- All other castable devices are OK from this computer (e.g. Kodi or other browers)

- TV and amp can access Emby Server by DLNA from their side

- TV and amp are visible on network and I can cast on them from the culprit computer with W10 self play to (from edge or WM)

- Installed again Emby on the first computer : devices are invisible

The Emby Logs don't say anything about Play to after enabling full debug.

I've tried many, many, many things (disabling firewall and antivirus, running the whole with admin rights, plug and unplug devices...) but it still looks like Windows is preventing Emby Server or Chrome from detecting these two devices despite IT can see them.

It's really frustrating and I clearly missing something but what ?.

Hope someone will have some ideas or the key to this problem

edejaeger

Hello !

I have no idea about your issue, except that my Sonos Connect is no more seen in the Play To drop list. It works - I think but maybe it has nothing to see with my problem - my problem appeared with the very last update of Emby Server (v3.0.5882).

I can still play music from Windows Explorer (in Win10) but no Emby client (WM10 app or Web application) can play onto my Sonos. It is very strange.

When you say your devices can be accessed, do you mean from Windows Explorer ?

B.R.

Eric D. J.

Cerothen

If you enable control other users in your user account as well as control shared devices everything should show up. I made a post a while back about the funky dlna access control but I am to lazy to hunt it down tonight

edejaeger

Hello Cerothen,

Many thanks for your reply.

I tried to find the post you are talking about from your profile but could not find it.

So I let you send me the link, if you have time to "hunt for it" :-)

What is suspicious is that my Sonos Connect has always been seen since I installed it. Emby is just "blind" since very few days (maybe 1 week).

Of course, I am still using the same account to connect to Emby.

Many thanks again by advanced.

Eric D. J.

Bartouille

Hi

Found it : http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/18362-dlna-devices-not-acting-as-shared-devices/

But I can't see these options. I only have activate DLNA "Play To". Do I miss something ?

I'm also pretty confident that the trouble is coming from a windows update because all DLNA scramblers I've tested that are not relying on windows API are showing inconsistent results, not only Emby server. I sometimes get my devices back (and others dlna scramblers also show them up when it occurs) but if I restart server or switch off and on a device, it's lost. i didn't manage to find the event that produces it..

I'm lacking time to test the server on a linux computer on my network and I don't have enough knowledge about DLNA networking for digging more the question.

Is your server running on a windows machine ?

Edited by Bartouille

Happy2Play

Go to Dashboard-Users-"select user"-Profile-Remote Control

edejaeger

Hi

Found it : http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/18362-dlna-devices-not-acting-as-shared-devices/

But I can't see these options. I only have activate DLNA "Play To". Do I miss something ?

I'm also pretty confident that the trouble is coming from a windows update because all DLNA scramblers I've tested that are not relying on windows API are showing inconsistent results, not only Emby server. I sometimes get my devices back (and others dlna scramblers also show them up when it occurs) but if I restart server or switch off and on a device, it's lost. i didn't manage to find the event that produces it..

I'm lacking time to test the server on a linux computer on my network and I don't have enough knowledge about DLNA networking for digging more the question.

Is your server running on a windows machine ?

Hello,

Thanks for your answer. And yes, my machine is running under MS-Windows 10.

Well, in fact my Sonos Connect reappeared "by itself" this morning.

Just strange...

B.R.

Eric D. J.