Gamebrowser Stream Games

joehoppe

joehoppe

Just an Idea. Does someone think it woulb be possible to install the emulators on the host so that the clients can stream the games? Maybe install a headless virtualbox with all the emulators and emby uses software like remote desktop to stream the video signal and the input of the users.

Is there technology to realise this or is it not a good idea?

Hi, welcome. I think your goal there is to save time but that sounds pretty complicated to me. Plus you have to factor in different operating systems on client devices. Doesn't' seem practical.

joehoppe

Hi Luke,

yes, save some time and be plattform independent. I gues you are right it is not a simple task. But consider the futur goals from all the big gaming studios. They plan to deliver all their content over streams some day. Maybe some day a opensource solution will popup to bring this feature. I still think it would be a nice feature for the Mediabrowser Plugin.

I asked because i thought this opsensource game streaming solution could be available today ;)

shaefurr

If you want to stream to multiple PCs without installing emulators on each host PC, its probably easier to just use Steam. It takes some work adding the games to steam if you haven't done it it before, but Steam already has stream functionality built in, so its as simple as launching Steam on another PC, logging into the proper account and clicking stream. This is supposed to even work on the $50 Steamlink, though I haven't tried it myself. Also ICE for Steam makes adding an entire library of games a million times easier. You will lose out on stuff like metadata or game trailers, so there are drawbacks.

Also not all emulators work for streaming, for instance zsnes will not work via stream, but snes9x does. So you will need to make sure you google to find ones that work before you add them to steam.

Honestly these days I just keep all my games in Steam, not that I dislike GB, but it doesn't even have an active developer anymore :/

56e4b4e2bc368_steam.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
chemondelay

Maybe some day a opensource solution will popup to bring this feature.

There is an open source solution, it's called Moonlight. But it's a big project unto itself, and even that's just a client for NVIDIA's proprietary Gamestream platform.

Edited by chemondelay

• 5 months later...

The GameBrowser plugin has been updated with a new configuration screen to match the look and feel of the rest of Emby Server. I think you'll find it much more enjoyable to use and configure now. 

We are looking for contributors who might be interested in helping with other GameBrowser development, so if that's something you'd like to help out with then please let us know.

Thanks !

shaefurr

The GameBrowser plugin has been updated with a new configuration screen to match the look and feel of the rest of Emby Server. I think you'll find it much more enjoyable to use and configure now.

We are looking for contributors who might be interested in helping with other GameBrowser development, so if that's something you'd like to help out with then please let us know.

Thanks !

Awesome work!

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...
BigSteve84

How can I launch my games through steam big picture mode? I'd really like to use game browser to add my steam games as I really like the look of it but what I want is to be able to click on a game in game browser and it plays the game through big picture mode?

• 1 month later...
mutosan

Its a pitty I cant programm because else I would go on with the developement of GameBrowser. And no in my eyes the new version of it is not that easy and confortable. In my case it does find the games but it does not play it. I installed Dolphin, I checked the folder structu4re andI have configured external player but nothing. I dont want to download each game before I play it.

Steam streaming only works for PC games as you need an Exe file which will be recognized by steam. If you want to lunch games you need to go to steam application, library, and in the left bottom corner there is a plus and next to it add a game. Then steams searches the computer where you have logged in and either finds the game or you have to add the exe file manually.

• 3 months later...
shaefurr

How can I launch my games through steam big picture mode? I'd really like to use game browser to add my steam games as I really like the look of it but what I want is to be able to click on a game in game browser and it plays the game through big picture mode?

I don't think that's possible from the way GB works now. You would probably need GB to be able to launch .bat files like it used to when it was GB2, but it works completely different now.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

• 4 years later...
  • 2 months later...
On 9/23/2016 at 2:52 PM, Luke said:

Thanks !

I'm a current student studying Software Engineering (just got my associates and working on Bachelor) and would be interested in trying my hand at this.  Who should I talk to?

7 hours ago, justp02 said:

I'm a current student studying Software Engineering (just got my associates and working on Bachelor) and would be interested in trying my hand at this.  Who should I talk to?

Hi, we'll respond to your pm. Thanks !