Setting up Live TV with HDHomeRun CONNECT - Question

AndyBak

AndyBak

I’m currently a long time user of Emby for WMC where I have a htpc running media centre as my main system for live TV (using an old internal Hauppauge card). I’ve been keen to move away from WMC and just have Emby as a single/complete media solution for some time.

At the weekend I picked up a HDHomeRun CONNECT box, got this up and running on the network with it’s native app within minutes and was impressed with its performance. I can launch the app either on my WMC or mac laptop and live TV starts playing in less than a second.

Next I configured it with Emby, the server saw the device without issue and I created an account with Schedules Direct. Everything seems to work but performance is poor, when I select a channel either within the web app on laptop or through Emby for WMC on htpc it takes approx 8 seconds for a channel to start playing.

So the question I have is whats up? Why is there such a difference between the native apps provided with the HDHomeRun device and Emby?

Hi, welcome. Different devices have different levels of format support. Web browsers only have limited format support, so you can't compare the experience to an HTPC. We have to convert the live tv feed on the fly into a format the browser understands. I think that will change over time as browser video players improve, but for right now, it is what it is. Just an fyi - chrome will start noticeably faster than the other browsers, and overall the experience is pretty good with it.

DatawizMediaTV

Hey am new to emby Dale's the name.

I have started with Movie and television sharing over my network and also shared my media feed to my mom at another location via port forwarding.

I have the Tbs6902 satellite card a satellite dish I just need a good universal LNB AND some instructions about what to do next to record over the air channels?

AndyBak

Hi, welcome. Different devices have different levels of format support. Web browsers only have limited format support, so you can't compare the experience to an HTPC. We have to convert the live tv feed on the fly into a format the browser understands. I think that will change over time as browser video players improve, but for right now, it is what it is. Just an fyi - chrome will start noticeably faster than the other browsers, and overall the experience is pretty good with it.

Just tried Chrome and yes it's noticeably faster but still not as slick as the native HDhomerun app or WMC.

You are playing Live TV channels through Emby for WMC...?

You know what I thought I was but checking it appears Emby for WMC doesn't have live TV (which makes perfect sense).

I've now fired up Emby Theatre through a browser and Live TV is working however not for the Windows app version (I've tried this on two machines).

I can select a channel and receive audio but the screen in blank/black. Any ideas how to resolve this one?

Thanks again.

What is not so slick about it? We also have a new tv app you can check out at tv.emby.media, and it supports live tv.

AndyBak

What is not so slick about it? We also have a new tv app you can check out at tv.emby.media, and it supports live tv.

Unless I'm doing something wrong:-

When selecting a channel it doesn't load pretty much instantly

Can't directly address channels (number input)

Can't move through channels (Ch up/down)

Btw I'm not knocking Emby at all, I'm a huge fan and hugely impressed with how quickly it's developing; Just keen to get away from the ageing WMC but at the moment I don't feel the Live TV component it's as simple to use and family friendly WMC.

Right ok. The built-in web client is not really designed for TV 10-ft usage. We have other apps for that, including a new web app at tv.emby.media. It doesn't have those channel features either yet, but you can assume that it will given that it's target usage is the living room scenario. The web client that you're testing right now is really more for point and click with a mouse or swipe with a touch device, because it has library management responsibilities in addition to media consumption, where the other apps just focus on playing content. Let me know if that makes sense or not.

AndyBak

Thanks and understood, the end goal for me is to have everything working through Emby Theatre eventally.

• 1 year later...