Full Screen - Windows 10 - Simple Fix

jxwilliamson

jxwilliamson

For everyone running ET on windows 10 with a remote. 

I used this workaround to get ET to start in full screen mode every time.

1. Navigate to ET shortcut icon (default shown below)
    1. %AppData%\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Emby\Emby Theater
  2. Right click and select Properties
  3. Under "Run" select "Maximized"
  4. Click Ok

That should make ET start maximized.

Thank you,

Jason

post-118205-0-83708400-1457201271_thumb.png

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
aerospyke

has this changed in habit at all? I'm finding my newly built ET isn't running in full screen, i have to click the maximise button when i reboot (which means keeping a mouse handy.. not cool). I have ET being told that the screen type is a TV (not sure it means anything in this respect though.... sorry to bring this up.

Running Win10 Ent 1607.

has this changed in habit at all? I'm finding my newly built ET isn't running in full screen, i have to click the maximise button when i reboot (which means keeping a mouse handy.. not cool). I have ET being told that the screen type is a TV (not sure it means anything in this respect though.... sorry to bring this up.

Running Win10 Ent 1607.

It remembers from when you previously ran it, so try closing the app while it is in full screen.

• Like 1

aerospyke

It remembers from when you previously ran it, so try closing the app while it is in full screen.

Thanks I'll specifically do this and see how I go. Hope it's as simple as that so I can move to my new media center :-)

aerospyke

So interestingly, after i turn the TV off (media center stays on), and when I turn it back on, although the application is in full screen mode, it isn't taking up the full screen, it's almost like it's in 4:3 mode, I have to "reset" full screen mode.

Is this something that has been seen before?

Mine stays 16:9 but using only maybe a 3rd of the screen. I am guessing this is due to loss of hdmi handshake protocols. It's very annoying as I don't really want to close Emby when swapping back and forth with my Harmony but that's the only way it seems to get it to consistently work.

So interestingly, after i turn the TV off (media center stays on), and when I turn it back on, although the application is in full screen mode, it isn't taking up the full screen, it's almost like it's in 4:3 mode, I have to "reset" full screen mode.

Yes i've seen this, although it happens with most other windows apps as well. In a future update we can look at some kind of workaround for that. Thanks.

Guest asrequested

HDMI 19th pin strikes again! It effectively turns the display adapter off then back on again. So the resolution switches. I've been battling it for a few years. Monitordetectkiller is one workaround. Just lately, though, I've bought better HDMI cables and it has greatly improved. I no longer use my MDK. It still happens sometimes, but when I leave theater in full screen, it stays that way. I'm also now using my display port with an active dongle, and it improved, further. But the cables made a dramatic difference... But I don't know why.

• Like 1

aerospyke

HDMI 19th pin strikes again! It effectively turns the display adapter off then back on again. So the resolution switches. I've been battling it for a few years. Monitordetectkiller is one workaround. Just lately, though, I've bought better HDMI cables and it has greatly improved. I no longer use my MDK. It still happens sometimes, but when I leave theater in full screen, it stays that way. I'm also now using my display port with an active dongle, and it improved, further. But the cables made a dramatic difference... But I don't know why.

Thanks for your feedback. When oyu say a DP with active adapter, you mean DP on your computer to HDMI on the TV? Any advice on what constitutes a "better" cable? and is monitordetectkiller worth it in the meantime, you say it fixed your issue and then you moved on anyway?

Guest asrequested

Thanks for your feedback. When oyu say a DP with active adapter, you mean DP on your computer to HDMI on the TV? Any advice on what constitutes a "better" cable? and is monitordetectkiller worth it in the meantime, you say it fixed your issue and then you moved on anyway?

Yes, from computer to TV. I'm upgrading to support 4K at 60Hz, and presently that is only supported through the display port. Before upgrading my motherboard and CPU (kaby lake i7 7700k), I was using MDK with cheap HDMI cables. In preparation I decided to buy better HDMI cables (https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0019EHU8G/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493141674&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=mediabridge+hdmi ). I started getting intermittent picture blackouts. And I couldn't figure out why. Eventually I removed the MDK and suddenly everything started working correctly. Previously, without the MDK, when my AVR was turned off, all my display settings would reset (the 19th pin issue). Now suddenly with the new cables and without the MDK, that stopped happening. However, if some windows were left open, they would shift to the top left of the screen, but not ET. Instances of this have further reduced since I use the DP to HDMI dongle (https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B017BQ8I54/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493144756&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=club3d+displayport+to+hdmi+adapter&dpPl=1&dpID=41tpvAesNaL&ref=plSrch ). Now there is a possibility that some kind of software update had a part in this, but somehow the cable made a difference.

As for 'better cables', I looked at conductor size, among other attributes. These are 28AWG.

Edited by Doofus

• 1 year later...
Am0kSepp

Yes i've seen this, although it happens with most other windows apps as well. In a future update we can look at some kind of workaround for that. Thanks.

I think that happens because the application doesent really run in fullscreen it just maxed the windows to the resolution of the screen. Same behavior you have when you use kodi with settings windowed fullscreen. If you run kodi in just fullscreen it is fine and scaled up automaticly.

So i think if the developer implement a real fullscreen not a windowed fullscreen this problem is solved.

Edited by Am0kSepp

• 1 month later...
Deihmos

Just installed the windows 10. I see no way to get it in fullscreen. Maybe I should install the desktop app instead but I find that it launches really slow in comparison. 

Had to play a video to get an option for fullscreen but goes back when I close.

Edited by Deihmos

Deihmos

You can double click anywhere in the app to toggle fullscreen.

I use a remote. Switched to the desktop app.

stettler

Several solutions:

1. Use a graphic card with a vga connector (even if you don't connect anything to it): As the system won't be able to determine if a monitor is connected to it and whatever its resolution, it will just keep using the resolution that you defined.

2. Use a "fake monitor" dongle on an emtpy output connector of the card: Because of the dongle, the card will think that a monitor is connected to it even when your TV is off so it will keep the same resolution instead of switching to the default Windows resolution.

3. Use a computer monitor instead of a TV: Computer monitors keep sending their parameters to the card (like the fake dongle) even when off. Most TV don't which is causing the problem.

4. Long ago, in the modified script for switching refresh rate when playing a video, I included an option to automatically minimize/maximize ET just before playing a video. That usually fix this (but you may still need to also use a "fake dongle" to provide the correct information if Windows doesn't get them back when you turn on your TV) 

• 11 months later...
eraser8

Same thing for me. I just install ET yesterday and I cannot figure out how to prevent this. When I turn on my TV, the ET is not totally in full screen mode. I can see the windows task bar at the bottom. Althouth, I continu to have the focus on ET but the windows task bar is annoying. I need to restart the ET to get back in Full screen. 

eraser8

Oh! I just found a workaround for my problem. I set the windows task bar to be hided and it works great.