New to Roku : video quality and bitrates?

jscoys

jscoys

Hi, I'm new in Roku world and just installed a brand new Roku for a collegue.

I said "hey man do you want to use my Emby server? You've got 10 Mbps connexion and I've got the same in upload at home...".

So we tried roku emby app and there... i'm a little bit disappointed... When set to 3.2 Mbps it's always buffering... What's the hell???

I have to put to 1-1.5 Mbps to have a constant playback. So in a first time is it Bits or Bytes we deal with in Settings?

Is the Roku app uses the new playback feature? (For instance I can play from my friend's home directly on my IPhone with a 4Mbps bitrates... Same connection).

Please help, what's going on with this app?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pir8radio

is it a wifi Roku or plugged into Ethernet?  Hows the signal strength?    The majority of my users are Roku users, and I've only had complaints about buffering when the clients had actual network issues.

jscoys

Wifi, Roku stick, Roku is less than one feet from the router and is connected in 5ghz... Internet server side is 10 Mbps up and my friend has a 10 Mbps down. All internet connexion's been tested with speedtest to be sure... What are your users bitrates définitions in their settings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mjktg99

Setting the bit rate so low can also be forcing the server to transcode. And if it's not a powerful enough server, that could also be causing the buffering. Try setting to the highest and see what happens.

• Like 1

jscoys

No I pressed the middle bitton each time and that's the same case with or without transco...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What type of files are these?

The roku has a limited set of core codecs it supports. This means you may be creating the situation and the roku is trying its best.

Say you have an .AVI, inside this container are ms-mpeg4 and mp3. This will have to be muxed into a .TS container for the roku. Depending on factors this may require remuxing the ms-mpeg4 stream into h264. The mp3 will be used as is native. Depending on the bitrate you use this affects quality. Transcoding to a lower bitrate will be faster, but lack quality. Higher bitrates retain quality, but are slower.

Suppose as well, the audio is DTS and your setup does not pass this through. The roku can detect this and will cause transcoding. So your containers, and codecs within directly affect how well you can stream.

Your server must be up to the task of transcoding and keep at least 24fps when doing so. If its transcoding 1080p hevc you may only be getting 15fps. This will introduce "bouncing", which means you will watch for 10 seconds, and it pauses for 20 seconds, then repeats. You can tell it is "bouncing" if the playback and delay are always the same. This is unrecoverable even in the best of situations. It will always "bounce" and there is nothing you can do about it. You can pause, and let the roku buffer fill, but the buffer has a limit. You cannot buffer the entire movie staying paused for an hour and expect an hour of perfect playback. The buffer has a limit of 10-15 minutes. On the roku stick this is even lower, likely 5-10 minutes. This is a limit caused by how much RAM each roku model has.

You need to transcode your media to be roku friendly to acheive perfect playback. This means muxing your videos into containers and codecs the roku can play directly. If you are aware of what containers and codecs are you can try the Emby Blue Neon Night app. This is a forked version of the official client with extra features and you can find more info on it here.

In the blue neon app you can "force" play methods. These have dialog walk-throughs if they experience videos that dont support the forced play methods. So you are much more in control of how the roku will interpret your files. The preferences section has many options to deal with transcoding. These should all be self-explanatory.

If you need more help just let us know.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles