Emby 2.0 DVD Anamorphic Resolution issue

arsim

@@babgvant I have found an issue in the v2.0 emby theater where Anamorphic DVDs converted to mkv format are not displayed properly.

Emby seems to follow the video pixel width parameter (720) in the mkv header, but not the display width parameter (853).

This results in the video being player back in 4:3 (720x480) instead of 1.78 ratio (853x480). 

All other players seem to follow the display width including Emby server.

Has anyone else had this issue?

babgvant

@@babgvant I have found an issue in the v2.0 emby theater where Anamorphic DVDs converted to mkv format are not displayed properly.

Emby seems to follow the video pixel width parameter (720) in the mkv header, but not the display width parameter (853).

This results in the video being player back in 4:3 (720x480) instead of 1.78 ratio (853x480). 

All other players seem to follow the display width including Emby server.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Could I get a sample file? Does it reproduce w/ madVR & EVR+?

babgvant

@babgvant Its only in MadVR, here is a sample file.

So just to be clear. It works as expected with EVR+, but not madVR?

Harblar

I'm having the same issue. Seems as though this happened in the past, as well, on the old Emby Theater.

babgvant

Yeah, only problem is in MadVR. If you use an older version of MadVR it works fine. I think it's related to the new zoom feature they added. I posted screen shots in this post http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/32078-problems-with-720p-and-lower-resolution/&do=findComment&comment=307555.

If you replace the version of madVR included w/ Emby with the latest on Doom9, does it still reproduce?

LMK if you need assistance with that process.

Walter

Yeah the latest version (0.90.15) still has the issue. I have (0.88.21) installed and that does not produce the stretched screen. That was the last version to not include the Zoom feature and black bar removal. 

Edited by Walter

babgvant

That's odd. Wonder why it would only reproduce in ET.

What GPU are you using? Can you confirm the version of EVR+ (right click on the dll and look at the properties tab).

Walter

1.0.0.7, Nvidia GTX 970. But it does it all on my computers Intel, ATI and Nvidia. Did the file I send you play fine on your copy of ET? It was ripped with MakeMKV then converted in handbrake. I don't have any codecs installed the only players I use are ET and the MPC-HC to watch DVDs. I just wonder if something is broken on my end, EVR+ should not look so pixelated. I have tried everything I know, clean install, remove everything, etc. And its only broken for DVD content. 720p and 1080p work just fine.

Edited by Walter

babgvant

1.0.0.7, Nvidia GTX 970. But it does it all on my computers Intel, ATI and Nvidia. Did the file I send you play fine on your copy of ET? It was ripped with MakeMKV then converted in handbrake. I don't have any codecs installed the only players I use are ET and the MPC-HC to watch DVDs. I just wonder if something is broken on my end, EVR+ should not look so pixelated. I have tried everything I know, clean install, remove everything, etc. And its only broken for DVD content. 720p and 1080p work just fine.

madVR will make a big difference on non-Intel HW, but it is curious that EVR+ looks that bad. I just changed the way it works so that's surprising. Although it's possible that GPU scaling for this type of content isn't great.

I haven't had a chance to look at the file yet.

elshagon

Not sure if this is related, but tonight I noticed a DVD converted to MKV play in 4x3 when it should have been 16x9 as well.  One odd thing is when I hit my mouse to take it out of full screen mode the video switched to 16x9 and stayed there.  I backed out and tried it again.  Once again the movie started in 4x3 and reverted to 16x9 once taken out of full screen.  You can then go back to full screen and retain the 16x9.

Harblar

Hitting the restore Icon twice (in the upper right corner) fixes the issue. Obviously a quirk somewhere, but I don't have a clue where or how to fix it.

babgvant

Yeah, only problem is in MadVR. If you use an older version of MadVR it works fine. I think it's related to the new zoom feature they added. I posted screen shots in this post http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/32078-problems-with-720p-and-lower-resolution/&do=findComment&comment=307555.

Should be fixed. Hopefully @@Luke will have a chance to pull in soon.

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

56ea18d67e58c_Snapshot_9.jpg

Sorry guys, but it still happens in 2.0.7, only with EVR+, although, the aspect ratio does appear to be correct...

Here's a link to the file, babgvant, if you want to test. I have an i7 6700k with an intel HD530 GPU and running Win 10 pro.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B00tLdPCXhgCM3d4RnRKTFNPSEU/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Doofus

Thanks guys, fixed on 2.0.7 with MadVR

Theatrer is coming along nicely, seem to be using it more than Kodi now.

babgvant

56ea18d67e58c_Snapshot_9.jpg

Sorry guys, but it still happens in 2.0.7, only with EVR+, although, the aspect ratio does appear to be correct...

Here's a link to the file, babgvant, if you want to test. I have an i7 6700k with an intel HD530 GPU and running Win 10 pro.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B00tLdPCXhgCM3d4RnRKTFNPSEU/view?usp=sharing

Thanks. I'll have a look. Pretty sure this is a different issue though, just targeting an issue with madVR before.

babgvant

Thanks. I'll have a look. Pretty sure this is a different issue though, just targeting an issue with madVR before.

If you replace Emby.Theater.DirectShow.dll with this one, is there a change?

I think when we update the com objects inside the app they are not necessarily extracted on the next run. as a test, try a fresh new install of the app and see if it behaves any differently than above.

Guest asrequested

I think when we update the com objects inside the app they are not necessarily extracted on the next run. as a test, try a fresh new install of the app and see if it behaves any differently than above.

When I update, I download and install over the top. I'll try babgvant's idea first, and if it doesn't work, I'l remove theater completely and reinstall

EDIT: Neither solution worked

Edited by Doofus