Music Artists Not Showing up in Kodi; Show in Emby Web App

ptzink

ptzink

Hello, I am having an issue with missing music artists in Kodi. I have several artists missing in Kodi, but when I go to the Emby web app, all of the artists appear as expected. I should also note that not only are the artists missing from the artists list, so are all of those artist's songs/albums. So I can't see their music at all in Kodi. All of my ID3 tags are populated, so I have a feeling it has something to do with my folder structure. Let me detail my folder setup:

• Emby Music Folders
    • \\share\MP3\Full Albums -> Contains all of full albums w/the folder structure \Artist\Album\TrackName.mp3. All of these artists/albums/songs show in both Kodi and Emby web app
    • \\share\MP3\Christmas Music -> Contains the following:
      • Full Christmas albums w/the folder structure \Artist\Album\TrackName.mp3 All of these artists/albums/songs show in both Kodi and Emby web app
      • Some individual Christmas songs in the root "Christmas Music" folder with "Artist - TrackName.mp3" file name. These artists/albums/songs do not show in Kodi, but show in the Emby web app.
    • \\share\MP3\Misc -> Contains only individual tracks with "Artist - TrackName.mp3" file name. These artists/albums/songs do not show in Kodi, but show in the Emby web app.
      • Perhaps of note, this folder does contain a sub folder called "Children's Music" for all of my misc. kids tracks.

Before this setup, I had only 1 folder (\\share\MP3) in Emby. The artists showed up in this scenario, but the album and album art information was incorrect (some random combination of other items metadata in the same folder). Going to the above folder setup resolved all of my issues in the Emby web app, but items disappeared completely in Kodi. Why doesn't Emby use ID3 tag information first and then only use folder structure information when critical (i.e. Artist, Album, TrackName) info isn't present? Anyone experience similar issues and/or have a solution? Reorganizing my music library is out of the question as that would negatively impact other aspects of my music setup. I have done a full resync of the Kodi database on 2 different devices on my network to make sure this wasn't an anomaly. Any help is appreciated.

Angelblue05

@@ptzink Currently, we import artists that appear under album artists in emby. "Compilation Artists" are only added to the list if album artists is empty at the time.

I understand there's a compilation artists option in Kodi, to make all the artists show up. For some reason, it's not working. I haven't had the chance to look into it, yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ptzink

By "Compilation Artist" are you referring to the Artist tag? Most if not all of my miscellaneous tracks are not part of a compilation at all. So if I populate the album artist, it should show in Kodi? Thanks for the help.

Angelblue05

Sorry, compilation artists in Kodi are Artists in Emby. What we add from emby is the album artists. We also add emby artists to Kodi (as compilation artists), but when enabling display compilation artists in the artist list, it doesn't work.

If you go to your emby webclient > music > album artists - this is what reflects under artists in Kodi, correct? Let me know.

ptzink

Actually, no. Album artists in the Emby app do not match the artists in Kodi. I have the option you mentioned checked in kodi (which is the default). I have done a full re sync a couple of times so i don't believe it is a sync issue.

Angelblue05

Hmm. Ok I will try to replicate your setup.

ptzink

Just an FYI, I have the "Album Artist" ID3 tag populated on ALL of my music tracks, not just tracks that are compilations. On most tracks the Artist tag is the exact same as the Album Artist tag. The only time they are different is on compilations. Then the Artist tag = Artist name and the Album Artist = Various Artists. Hope that makes sense. 

Angelblue05

No updates yet. I haven't had the chance to work on this yet. But I will let you know once I have a build for you to test. Thanks for your patience.

ptzink

No worries at all. You're busy. I look forward to hearing from you whenever you happen to get to it.

• Like 1

Angelblue05

@@ptzink

Ok, I've started checking this out and yeah, I see what we are doing wrong. I will adjust it, but it might take me a day or two. Just so I can test properly on my side, can you pm me a specific file that's tagged and the folder structure for it (one that doesn't show up in Kodi). Thanks!

Edited by Angelblue05

Ben Z

I have a similar problem. There is only one artist that doesn't show up in kodi in my case. Strangely, the musics from this artist can be seen in the songs list window in kodi, nowhere else. Obviously, everything is there in the emby web-ui.

I use this structure:

\\smbshare\Music\Emby\Artist\Album

Angelblue05

Ugh, why can't music be simple like the video library... :)

I hope I got this right, just install over the current version, run a repair sync by launching the emby add-on. Let me know if the missing entries show up now. Thanks!

The same custom build is available via our no side loading public folder: http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/32196-new-fresh-install-method-no-side-loading/ <--- Easier method, you can install the build directly from Kodi.

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

ptzink

Sorry, that did not fix my issue. I installed the beta version of the plugin 2.2.10 using the no sideload method. I did a repair of the Kodi database as well as a full resync to no avail. The artists do not show and neither do the songs or albums. Let me know if I can provide more info.

Angelblue05

Provide your Kodi log?... It should work, I tested with your file structure and it shows in Kodi now. Are you sure you have show artists on compilation? Did you check to see if the "virtual" album shows up in albums?

Edited by Angelblue05

ptzink

I double checked to make sure the "show artists in compilations" option was turned on (even toggled it off then back on for good measure). I still don't see the artists, albums, or songs of "stand alone" mp3 files in Kodi, though they still appear in Emby. Perhaps there is something about my file organization that is throwing Kodi off? Not sure why Emby\Emby for Kodi wouldn't just read tags first and only look at file structure if tags weren't present. I will try to PM you another sample soon with more file structure that may help.