Bitstream issue with Emby 2.0

Ergo Proxy

Ergo Proxy

It's been a while since I've posted in the forums (personal issues).

Just installed Emby Theater 2.0 and have to say it's just so smooth and easy to use and the biggest plus it will allow me to move over from Emby Classic and WMC.

The only one negative I have is I can't seem to get any of my movies to bitstream DTS-HD or TrueHD. I get all these from Emby Classic in WMC (TMT5 as external player) and also MPC-HD via the LAV filter. I use a mixutre of fileformats, Bluray folder rips and MKV and these are absolutely fine.

My HTPC is connected via the HDMI through a AMD Radeon HD 7800 to a Pioneer VSX1122k and bitstreams audio absolutley fine with the players I mentioned, but Emby Theater is a no go.

So basically, can anyone point me in the right direction?

It's been a while since I've posted in the forums (personal issues).

Just installed Emby Theater 2.0 and have to say it's just so smooth and easy to use and the biggest plus it will allow me to move over from Emby Classic and WMC.

The only one negative I have is I can't seem to get any of my movies to bitstream DTS-HD or TrueHD. I get all these from Emby Classic in WMC (TMT5 as external player) and also MPC-HD via the LAV filter. I use a mixutre of fileformats, Bluray folder rips and MKV and these are absolutely fine.

My HTPC is connected via the HDMI through a AMD Radeon HD 7800 to a Pioneer VSX1122k and bitstreams audio absolutley fine with the players I mentioned, but Emby Theater is a no go.

So basically, can anyone point me in the right direction?

May be a silly question, but did you change the option to bitstream in the audio section?

CFC

Ergo Proxy

May be a silly question, but did you change the option to bitstream in the audio section?

CFC

Yup was set to bitstream, still only outputs to stereo only.

Make sure the app has direct access to the media paths. if not then it will be streaming them through the server.

Ergo Proxy

Make sure the app has direct access to the media paths. if not then it will be streaming them through the server.

Hi Luke,

My paths are set like this in the library section of Emby Server

\\Universe\Media\Movies\

\\Universe\Media\Movies HD\

\\Universe\Media\TV Shows\

Do I need to set a path substitution?

if the app can access those paths, then no. make sure the audio bitstreaming mode is set to hdmi. if you've customized any other audio settings, try putting them back at default.

Ergo Proxy

if the app can access those paths, then no. make sure the audio bitstreaming mode is set to hdmi. if you've customized any other audio settings, try putting them back at default.

Is there a specific way of checking if the app has access, something I'm missing?

Looking at my library setup in the server the paths set for the folders are as stated before.

I've set bitstreaming to HDMI and everything else is default...still only outputting stereo.

Attached the server and theater logs if it helps.

server-63592722375.txt

theater-63592722702.txt

Is there a specific way of checking if the app has access, something I'm missing?

Looking at my library setup in the server the paths set for the folders are as stated before.

I've set bitstreaming to HDMI and everything else is default...still only outputting stereo.

Attached the server and theater logs if it helps.

are  you sure you tried to play during this session?

Ergo Proxy

are  you sure you tried to play during this session?

Yup.

Testing right now with a movie bluray folder which has True HD , amp still showing stereo.

I've attached screengrabs and pics of the amp when playing back the movie with Emby-T and again with WMC & TMT5.

Anything else I should try? Reinstall?

post-70-0-52590500-1457141203_thumb.pngpost-70-0-64835000-1457141210_thumb.pngpost-70-0-14001200-1457141218_thumb.pngpost-70-0-05660100-1457141215_thumb.jpgpost-70-0-75491400-1457141221_thumb.jpg

can we start with a simple test of a video file just to see if that it might be an issue specific to folder rips. do you have any mkv's with hd audio?

Ergo Proxy

I do and will test a few MKVs tomorrow morning and report back.

Thanks Luke

Edited by Ergo Proxy

Ergo Proxy

can we start with a simple test of a video file just to see if that it might be an issue specific to folder rips. do you have any mkv's with hd audio?

Tried a couple of MKV files one with TrueHD and one with DTS-HD MA, still getting stereo from the amp when played through Emby Theater. I've installed the previous version of Emby and I'm getting the same result.

However playing the files back from MPC-HD I get the correct audio output :huh:

Could this be a paths issue in the Emby Server as looking at the "Active Devices" I can see that it's "Transcoding"

Edited by Ergo Proxy

are you certain the box running theater can access those paths? can you try in windows explorer?

Ergo Proxy

100% sure.

post-70-0-70447200-1457199492_thumb.png

Any other logs that you require or need that may help?

UPDATE: I tried uninstalling an reinstalling with v2.0.1, still nothing but this time videos dont play at all. Think I'm going to give up and wait for another release later on. Will stick to Emby Classic and TMT5 for now.

Edited by Ergo Proxy

Harblar

Just curious, but what version of Windows are you currently using?  What about your File server/NAS?

A month or two back, I was having a similar problem with all of my MKV's (DVD and Bluray rips). I was running Win 10 pro and all my files were stored on an unRAID server, which utilizes Samba shares to interact with windows, or something... I'm no network wiz, so that's about as technical as I can get on that part. lol Everything was working fine and then suddenly a day later it was transcoding everything. After lots of trial and error, and crawling through google and various forums (including here) I come to find out that Microsoft had pushed out an update that had done something to the way windows dealt with Samba shares.  For whatever reason my unRAID server no longer showed up in my network in File Explorer. If I manually typed it's name into the address bar it would show up and I could access it, but if I closed File Explorer or rebooted, or even just waited long enough, it would disappear again. I ended up forcing win 10 back to the previous build before the update on my HTPC and it's been fairly trouble free since. I've just been dealing with it on my main desktop, though it seems as if Microsoft might have finally fixed the issue since my server has been showing up in my network list consistently for the last couple days without me having to manually search for it. For reference, I'm currently on Version 1511 Build 10586.122.

Ergo Proxy

Win7 and Synology DS2413+.

Emby server, classic and theater all installed on the same HTPC.

No issues with viewing the files on the DS2413+ via Windows Explorer and have never had an issue with it disconnecting from the network.

bret1958

have you tried changing audio renderer to wasapi and wasapi to hdmi and make sure windows audio is set up to hdmi 5.1

Something in your system maybe not be "Default"

Ergo Proxy

have you tried changing audio renderer to wasapi and wasapi to hdmi and make sure windows audio is set up to hdmi 5.1

Something in your system maybe not be "Default"

Windows is setup for 5.1 I've also tried all configurations in Theater 2.0.0 with no luck hence this thread. As stated before Emby Classic with TMT5/MPC-HD bitstream absolutely fine.

Since uninstalling and reinstalling Theater, I have version 2.0.1 and I don't even get video playback now. Sad times.  :( 

Guest asrequested

Windows is setup for 5.1 I've also tried all configurations in Theater 2.0.0 with no luck hence this thread. As stated before Emby Classic with TMT5/MPC-HD bitstream absolutely fine.

Since uninstalling and reinstalling Theater, I have version 2.0.1 and I don't even get video playback now. Sad times.  :(

Woah! That's weird. The filters were updated in 2.0.1. Have you tried uninstalling and deleting all the folders, reboot then reinstalling?

Ergo Proxy

Woah! That's weird. The filters were updated in 2.0.1. Have you tried uninstalling and deleting all the folders, reboot then reinstalling?

Yup, actually went through %appdata% and made sure there was no traces...still nothing.

bret1958

Just for kicks have you tried the old retired Theater standalone zip version, it runs without an install. I tried "breaking" the hdmi set up on my onkyo still worked. Denon 4308 amp was very picky to get HD AUDIO but i swapped that HTPC out for shield tv so i can't try it on that one.

I had an issue a while back after installing TMT and had to do a reinstall of OS.

Without reinstalling the os you might try creating a new local account and try it. that would technically be a new install of os and then remove the account after testing.