Feature Request: TMDB as episode provider

Redshirt

Redshirt

As the title suggests, I'd like to see TMDB added to the list of sources for episode metadata.

Some shows actually have better metadata on TMDB. For example, Black sails has no overview for any season 3 episode on thetvdb, but does on tmdb

http://thetvdb.com/?tab=episode&seriesid=262407&seasonid=643716&id=5392170&lid=7

https://www.themoviedb.org/tv/47665-black-sails/season/3

• Like 4

The problem I see here, is that it may be just the other way round for different series.

IMO to make this useful, we would need a way to override the primary provider at the series level.

spootdev

The problem I see here, is that it may be just the other way round for different series.

IMO to make this useful, we would need a way to override the primary provider at the series level.

That would be handy indeed.

Data from different providers is combined already.

Not for episode data (at least not last time I looked into it)

Previously, there has been TheTVDB as the only provider for episodes.

Then, I added an episode provider for OMDB.

But lookup will only fall through from one provider to the next provider of lower priority when the first one didn't find anything.

What the OP is referring to is a situation where one provider has data for an episode, but another provider would have better data (more details) for the same episode.

Okay, sorry.  At one point in time, we combined them.  Perhaps that changed.

Redshirt

I also didn't realize they weren't combined. It makes sense since there used to only be one provider for episodes. So to refine my original post I'd like to see episode meta combined as well as TMDB added as a source :D

thats' the reason we have ordering. you put the one you want at the top of the list.

@ebr: I have to apologize. I just debugged and both providers are called and results are merged together then.

Though, I could swear that when I developed the OmdbEpisodeProvider, I had to move it to the top of the list because otherwise it wasn't executed...

Good news - I just finished implementing the new provider:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/pull/1515

By leveraging existing stuff from MovieDbSeriesImageProvider and MovieDbSeasonProvider I could get this done without much effort.

As final test I used the exact example described by the OP:

• Disabled the new provider
  • Added series "Black Sails" alongside some dummy files named as season 3 episodes
  • After a library scan the "Overview" field of the episodes was empty while other metadata was there (TheTvDb just doesn't have overview descriptions for S03-Episodes)
  • Activated the new provider
  • Refreshed metadata via Metadata Manager
    ==> Overview information was added as expected
  • Like 4

Great work. Make sure the new provider is disabled by default and ordered to run last. Basically the same thing you did with omdb.

Redshirt

Good stuff. I'm eager to try it out. 

Great work. Make sure the new provider is disabled by default and ordered to run last. Basically the same thing you did with omdb.

I just added the same kind of migration task as I did for the OmdbEpisodeProvider. 

Regarding query performance I would like to note that the new provider is less critical than the OmdbEpisodeProvider because it caches its results to disk (same like TvdbEpisodeProvider).

Redshirt

Just tested this with today's dev release. Worked like a charm. Thanks. 

Just tested this with today's dev release. Worked like a charm. Thanks. 

Great news! Thanks for reporting...