Android - Specify audio codec/bitrate

Argleblargle

Argleblargle

I have a ton of FLAC that I'd like Emby to stream to my Android device and it's unclear how it's transcoding it.

I'd like to be able to:

• Specify the audio codec used to stream audio to my device. E.g. if I have a tablet with a beefy battery, I'd like to stream Opus, which is a more efficient codec but unsupported by my device's hardware codec. If I'm on my phone I'd like to stick to a safe codec supported by my hardware like AAC or MP3.
  • Specify the bitrate. E.g. if I'm on WiFi, send me the original. If I'm not, cut it down to 128kbps.
  • Like 1

Argleblargle

Ah, now I see how it's negotiating the format. If I'm correct, it's in here. I may be reading it wrong but my impression is that it'll definitely play AAC and MP3 without transcoding and Vorbis if the API level is > 16. It'll also ask Android what the max bitrate is and use that if it's available.

It isn't clear though what it transcodes to when one of the device's supported formats isn't around...

Hi, yes, it would probably be a good idea for us to add more control around this.

• Like 1

anderbytes

Hi, yes, it would probably be a good idea for us to add more control around this.

Very good idea. If this could be configurable for video, too, would be even better.