Metadata and Library Scan Broken on v3.0.5871.0

solabc16

solabc16

Evening

I'm not sure exactly when this happened, perhaps after restarting the NAS device - it didn't happen immediately after the upgrade to v3.0.5871.0.

I did have problems with some collections, which I detailed in another post.

I'd started noticing missing metadata/images when browsing the collection via Theatre and the iOS app; when I looked in Metadata Manager, the metadata was indeed missing. The images still exist within the directory structure, as do the NFO files which appear to have sensible content.

I've noticed that the library scan never completes, it will just sit like this forever until either the server is restarted or the job stopped manually. By manually doing this again and again, I do seem to be able to get it to pick up a few more titles, but with a few hundred metadata-less movies now, it's not really practical.

e.g.

56d49d40ce09d_scan1.png

My library and directory structure hasn't changed since I first configured Emby quite some time back, and this element has alway worked well and reliably. My movie media library contains two paths, one with BDs and the other DVDs.

I'm not sure if it's related, but after the upgrade a 'Mixed Content (beta)' media library appeared. This appeared to break browsing the Movies media library in metadata manager, it simply would not expand or show any of the underlying content - removing this 'Mixed Content (beta)' entry resolved this problem. It did also appear to have the side effect of adding season.nfo files to every movie directory.

Logs attached, do let me know if there is any more information you require.

Best

- James

server-63592366854.txt

server-63592368445.txt

Edited by solabc16

Hi, can you try removing installed plugins and see if the scan performs better with the core server? Thanks.

solabc16

Hi Luke

There was an additional plugin installed (part of the last release?), Emby.Kodi.SyncQueue.

I've just removed this, and the library scan completed successfully.

The following error seems to be more prevalent in this release Iit's not a new issue), which still looks like a race condition/synchronisation issue. I've tweaked the mount/umount scripts to include a short delay, which appears to have worked as a work around - 300+ items scanned, no errors.

I'll update this thread now, with the latest scripts: http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/28187-mbt-not-mounting-iso-when-pointing-at-synology-based-server/?p=307114

2016-02-29 21:27:09.5557 Error App: Error in ffprobe	*** Error Report ***	Version: 3.0.5871.0	Command line: /usr/local/emby/share/emby/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe -programdata /usr/local/emby/var -ffmpeg /usr/local/ffmpeg/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /usr/local/ffmpeg/bin/ffprobe	Operating system: Unix 3.10.35.0	Processor count: 4	64-Bit OS: True	64-Bit Process: True	Program data path: /usr/local/emby/var	Mono: 4.2.1 (Stable 4.2.1.102/6dd2d0d Mon Nov 30 14:47:31 CET 2015)	Application Path: /volume1/@appstore/emby/share/emby/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe	The process must exit before getting the requested information.	System.InvalidOperationException	  at System.Diagnostics.Process.get_ExitCode () <0x424ff3c0 + 0x0007b> in <filename unknown>:0 	  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.Diagnostics.Process:get_ExitCode ()	  at MediaBrowser.IsoMounter.LinuxIsoManager+<Mount>c__async0.MoveNext () <0x424fde30 + 0x00d17> in <filename unknown>:0 	--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---	  at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw () <0x42200e40 + 0x0002b> in <filename unknown>:0 	  at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess (System.Threading.Tasks.Task task) <0x4256b4a0 + 0x000d3> in <filename unknown>:0 	  at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification (System.Threading.Tasks.Task task) <0x4256b3f0 + 0x00097> in <filename unknown>:0 	  at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ValidateEnd (System.Threading.Tasks.Task task) <0x41fb71e0 + 0x0003b> in <filename unknown>:0 	  at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ConfiguredTaskAwaitable`1+ConfiguredTaskAwaiter[TResult].GetResult () <0x41fec5a0 + 0x00017> in <filename unknown>:0 	  at MediaBrowser.Providers.MediaInfo.FFProbeVideoInfo+<ProbeVideo>d__0`1[T].MoveNext () <0x424fc600 + 0x0043f> in <filename unknown>:0 	--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---	  at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw () <0x42200e40 + 0x0002b> in <filename unknown>:0 	  at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess (System.Threading.Tasks.Task task) <0x4256b4a0 + 0x000d3> in <filename unknown>:0 	  at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification (System.Threading.Tasks.Task task) <0x4256b3f0 + 0x00097> in <filename unknown>:0 	  at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ValidateEnd (System.Threading.Tasks.Task task) <0x41fb71e0 + 0x0003b> in <filename unknown>:0 	  at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ConfiguredTaskAwaitable`1+ConfiguredTaskAwaiter[TResult].GetResult () <0x4227a220 + 0x00013> in <filename unknown>:0 	  at MediaBrowser.Providers.Manager.MetadataService`2+<RunCustomProvider>d__5b[TItemType,TIdType].MoveNext () <0x424800f0 + 0x004f3> in <filename unknown>:0 

Best

- James

Edited by solabc16

ok. it might just be time to not use the iso mounter anymore on the server.

solabc16

Evening

For completeness, I added the Emby.Kodi.SyncQueue plugin again, to see if the same issue returned.

So far, it hasn't and a couple of scans have completed without issue.

This would suggest, that it was simply a factor in aggrevating the race condition/synchronisation issue; I'll keep a close eye on it over the next week.

As for the ISO mounting, the mount/umount process as far as *nix scripts are concerned is very reliable; it would seem the problem is with the wrapper or the way in which it is called. If you didn't use the ISO mounter anymore, what would you use as an alternative?

If there isn't an alternative, then I could spend some time looking at this in more detail, although packaging up the implementation using scripts may be sufficient.

Best

- James

Basically what we would do is just not have server-side iso mounting at all which means no media info displayed in the web client, and no streaming/transcoding of iso content. But you would still be able to play ISO's in htpc apps that have native ISO support.

The issue is that so few users it. For one ISO popularity is declining, but let's pretend that wasn't an issue. Even then, this feature requires sudo and very few people are going to want to run Emby Server like that. As a result, I currently don't even have a test setup for it, which makes it very difficult for me to help anyone when someone reports an issue. From our standpoint, given the very small audience it's much easier for us to just deprecate the feature so that our time can be spent elsewhere. I certainly don't want to do that and as long as we know it's still working then I'm not planning on doing that.

solabc16

Hi Luke

Thanks. Regarding 'sudo', if you're running the application on a *nix platform, then this perhaps isn't too 'out of the ordinary'.

I understand the point regarding ISO streaming, I don't believe there's any sensible mileage in that; I always use an external player.

The issue I originally had some time back (here http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/28187-mbt-not-mounting-iso-when-pointing-at-synology-based-server/)prevented the media type detection working. I see now that there is a way to do this in the naming conventions, discussed here http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/30787-bd-isos-appearing-as-dvds-in-mbt/?hl=%2Bexternal+%2Bplayer&do=findComment&comment=295660.

The conversations around ISO though, which I see in various threads (not just here) are interesting.

I can see both sides of this, and when you apply the mass appeal factor, I can see how you may come down on one side of the fence.

However, as they say in a number of industries I work closely with - 'content is king'. Creating a reasonable representation of titles that have multiple (desirable) features in the native DVD/BD format, is pretty difficult and time consuming if you try to do it some other way. In these cases, even with all the benefits and experience you get from a setup like Emby, the ISO format wins hands down.

Of course, there is a great middle ground, which gives us the rich supporting content and navigation that Emby provides by coupling it with an external player - which is why I think this feature is pretty important to get going again in the new ET, http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/31284-external-player-support/.

Best

- James

well yea Emby Theater will have external player support. A number of other apps have it already. I agree that's the best option for iso.