MythTV Integration workaround possibility?

coralmedia

coralmedia

Hello, trying to see if anyone else has attempted something similar or if there is another better method.

Since emby supports path substitution, is it possible to setup a cron/task to create the show names using something like mythlink.pl that are zero-byte in size to a directory Emby can use and then use path substitution to point to the real file. The problem I see is that emby will still look for the name of the zero-byte file created when doing path substitution. If it is possible to trim off part of it (the real show name) and leave the remainder the numeric name mythtv creates the file as then it should work. This part however would need a bit of emby support to do.

e.g.:

Mythtv records a show (call it Survivor): 1091_2015032302010.mpg (located in /var/mythtv/recordings)

cron job runs creating the following in /storage/RecordedTV/Survivor_1091_2015032302010.mpg zero-byte file (i.e. empty file with .mpg extension) (Hopefully emby can organize by the name now)

Using emby's path substitution, selecting /storage/RecordedTV/Survivor_1091_2015032302010.mpg would play /var/mythtv/recordings/1091_2015032302010.mpg after removing the name part (Survivor_)

Is there anyway something can be done to do this?

Thank you.

Edited by coralmedia

coralmedia

that's not actually the purpose of path substitution. you can do that with strm files though.

Thanks Luke, but my clients are using direct paths which I believe strm is not supported.

coralmedia

Why don't you just add the recordings as libraries in emby?

but how would emby decipher what shows they are? Mythtv has no hierarchical directory structure or show names in the files as that info is within their database. That is the challenge I was trying to overcome. I would just like to point it there if emby can figure it out "shazam like" 

Edited by coralmedia

skug67

There are a number of scripts out there to create hierarchical symlinks to MythTV recordings.  I use this one https://github.com/chrisfromredfin/mythsym -- although I tweaked it a bit to make the naming structure work better with Emby and to deal with some glitches I was finding with SchedulesDirect episode numbers, etc.

Github also has a project that purports to be an Emby plugin to connect with MythTV (https://github.com/babgvant/Emby.MythTv) but unfortunately I couldn't get it to run properly and it's had no activity since last September.