Okuru Theme [WIP]

xnappo

xnappo

Hello All,

As Luke mentioned, I am working on an Emby Theater theme called Okuru.

While I have a lot of programming experience, web related programming is new to me - so I could definitely use some help.

The goal for the theme:

• Get users to what they do on a day to day basis with as few clicks as possible
  • Look good doing it

People who have used Kodi or MB2 will recognize the theme as it takes much of the interface and look from Aeon Nox (Kodi) and Harmony (MB2).

At this stage - the theme is not really usable, but here is how it looks right now:

56d3aed22657b_Untitled.png

The Git and install instructions can be found here:

https://github.com/xnappo/okuru

Here is my to-do list for now:

1. Un-hack the positioning of the scroll sections (use CSS instead of <br>)
  2. Fix focus problems
  3. Separate upper and lower scroll section scrolling
  4. When hitting enter on 'Movies' for example, go to All Movies section.
  5. Build text-based sub-menu below main menu - links to 'Latest', 'Favorites', 'Genre' etc sections
  6. Fix in-view menu corrupted by moving home menu to center
  7. Add random backdrops for focused selection on center menu
  8. Show backdrop for selected item when item is focus
  9.  Make center menu transparent (~80%)
  10. Have main menu wrap, and keep focused selection centered - research note: not possible with Sly to wrap - using a hack
  11. Change information view to display over the un-used panel (upper/lower) - include plot info.
  12. Modify Movie/Series view to be like TriPanel view in Nox - include vertical alpha picker
  13. Modify Episode view to low list format.  List on the left
  14. Allow user to select 'Latest Movies' (for example) on home page scroll list and change it to 'Favorites' (for example)

If you like the look and function I am going for and would like to help, please let me know. 

Note that this project is likely to move very slowly unless others get involved - I am only putting in a couple of hours a week.

xnappo

Edited by xnappo
  • Like 6

Great stuff!

If you're handy with HTML and JavaScript then jump right in. Use it with the web-based version of Emby Theater and you can do all your development using the Chrome browser and it's excellent debugger:

http://tv.emby.media/

• Like 2

yardameus

Briefly looking at this stuff, it was a little over my head.  I am a little better at the graphics side of things (only web experience is developing a web page for my paintings/drawings).  Anywho, I'm here to offer any help to those who have the technical expertise but want some help with the occasional photoshopping or overall visual effect.  BTW, aside from the backdrop (from the selected source), kudos to the general layout.  

Koleckai Silvestri

Very similar to many Kodi themes. Looks good just doesn't work for me. No matter what I click on, I can't select or play anything. Looking forward to seeing it progress.

justpig

Same here, trying to click on anything on the middle strip produces no results. However, if I go up or down to next up or latest episodes, I can select the item. It is an interesting idea with lots of potential, looking forward to seeing it developed further.

Edited by justpig

Koleckai Silvestri

Did either of you read the first post properly? ;)

Nothing in there that says you can't click on things to select them or even initiate playback in any way. For not usable, I'd expect errors or feedback of some sort. Oh well. looks interesting. Wouldn't even know where to start in helping to fix things. Looked at a few directories and it seems overly complicated even though it is primarily CSS and Javascript. Maybe in the future when there is some documentation on the API.

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri

Koleckai Silvestri

Yeah, read that. I guess I had suspected more. I'll just uninstall it and move on. Only installed it because it was promoted as an example of building themes and that interests me. Oh well, try to help out and constantly get jumped on by the community.

yardameus

I was wondering if the core of emby theater makes it so you can't click on the middle item since that is how it is in the default theme as well?  That's something I hope is resolved either with themes (if possible) or in the core program.  I prefer being able to click on which ever library item I want without having to more around to the All Movies tile or a genre or whatever else there is.

xnappo

Naw, this is all fixable, some things have broken due to core changes and others I just haven't had time to look into more.

• 5 weeks later...
xnappo

To be honest, there didn't seem to be much interest so I've been spending my time on other things.  Really could use some help on it…

• Like 1

Logos302

wish I could.  But this is all above my skill level and time needed to learn it.  It's too bad there was not enough interest in it to give you the boost needed to get you to  work on it :).   

yardameus

I'd love to see you keep developing this.  The only real help I can offer is more on the graphics end of things or testing.  I know there are several others here that are much better/more reliable than me at that.  I really like your starting point and I think there are a bunch of users who would love your skin.  I hope you find time to continue this.

• 9 months later...
Nick's MCE

Very similar to many Kodi themes. Looks good just doesn't work for me. No matter what I click on, I can't select or play anything. Looking forward to seeing it progress.

Hi

Yep, although I appreciate the effort going into this I feel it just looks like every other theme our there with the band of folder selections running right across the screen. Not sure why any themes feel the need to make such a feature of the folder selections.

Going back to MB3 I think the best themes I ever used were Crystal and Rock, they truly stepped out of the box with. If I could get MCE on my WIN 10 I would revert back to those thems immediately but just cant get MCE to install.

Nicks'