Crossover TV series?

computerprep

computerprep

You know how some TV series will crossover quite frequently? Some quick examples are: Flash/Arrow or Chicago Fire/P.D./Med ... You get the picture.

If the movie collections could be morphed to handle these scenarios, we'd be able to add another tab in television libraries that tracks episodes across multiple "frequent crossover" shows by air date instead of flipping back and forth to figure out which one to watch next.

Depending on development capabilities, each TV show should remain displayed in the regular library list individually, but maybe just include episodes from the other likely-to-crossover shows inline with their episodes. Of course, these would then need to be sorted by airdate instead of strictly season/episode designation.

This would be a better solution to display these likely-to-crossover episodes than to segregate then into collections because it is not commonplace for movie/TV databases to collect metadata and images for TV show collections like this.

I don't know if any other media software providing this feature... It could definitely help attract more converts from other platforms.

• Like 8

Hi, welcome. You can already add tv series to collections so for example, you could create a marvel collection that has all the movies and tv series together.

• Like 1

computerprep

I know that, but I'm pointing out that it doesn't show me episodes across the entire collection in airdate order.

It would be pretty slick to be able to present a Marvel movie / TV collection based upon original release date especially when there are often special TV episodes before / after the release of movies.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
mediacowboy

I know this is a old thread but with the recent 4 show crossover between Supergirl, Arrow, the flash, and the legends of tomorrow. I am wondering how people are keep track of these so you don't miss a episode or watch it out of order?

mediacowboy

This is neat, but rare, so it's probably just your own manual methods.

I don't know that I would call it rare as more and more shows seem to be do crossovers.

Chicago PD, Chicago Fire, and Chicago Med. They have even crossovered with Law and Order SVU. I also know Hawaii 50 and NCIS Los Angeles has done crossovers.

What would be the best way to handle this? Any idea's?

Happy2Play

Good thing now is metadata/description is reflecting these crossovers, and the part number in the naming scheme.  Only issue is not all clients can display full description.

recent crossover all episodes contain crossover info.

Part 1 - Supergirl - S02E08
Part 2 - The Flash - S03E08
Part 3 - Arrow - S05E08
Part 4 - DC's Legends of Tomorrow - S02E07

mediacowboy

I guess what I am looking for is a away to watch one right after the other without having to switch to the different shows. Just a pipe dream I guess.

A playlist would work, but you'd have to create it and then go start it from somewhere other than your normal TV.

mediacowboy

Yeah I was thinking something more automatic. Like the server or meta providers work together.

Sees that you played part one and asks if you want to switch to the next part without ever having to flip between shows.

Happy2Play

Unfortunately there is now way for any client to know to about crossover episodes, automatically.  There would have to be a flag somewhere (that doesn't exist) saying hey I crossover to x, y, and z.

Providers would have to establish something.

Edited by Happy2Play

• 3 years later...
computerprep

@@tymanthius, yes that would be impressive.

@@Happy2Play, sorry I didn't see your response back in 2016.

I wouldn't try to implement this with specific crossover episodes. I would do something like the "group versions" or "playlists" where all episodes of grouped/linked series can be displayed in order of release date.

You could also compare it to the Collections view got movies, which displays affected movies in chronological order regardless of title.

This feature would show all episodes from the multiple chosen series in chronological order.

I don't think that would require any new provider information.

Edited by computerprep

computerprep

I think the problem with that (as @@ebr pointed out) is that it would require the admin to manually tag each crossover episode, since this data isn't away provided by THETVDBAPI and others. And if I'm reading your post correctly, you suggest putting series A episodes into the series B specials folder. That would create a whole slew of other problems.

Plus my library is so large, that's not something I want to be responsible for maintaining.

My goal isn't just to show crossover episodes in both series. It's too provide a way to binge watch 2-3 series together, every episode showing up missed together in chronological order.

crusher11

And if I'm reading your post correctly, you suggest putting series A episodes into the series B specials folder. That would create a whole slew of other problems.

Like what?

Yes, you're not going to be able to handle massive crossovers without massive amounts of work. But something like NCIS and JAG or NCIS LA would work just fine.

• 3 weeks later...
AllesMeins

Maybe another approach: The problem seems to be that there is no metadata provider from which to get the crossover data, but we do have a huge community. So maybe the easier way would be to make it possible for us to share the work - for example with an easy way to share/export/import playlists across devices and I'm sure some fans would invest the work to make an playlist for there favourite universe and would be willing to share it (I would!).

I don't know how playlists are handled internally at the moment but it should be possible to save playlists with an unique identifier so that the import would work on other systems with different filenames. For example export a playlist as a series of thetvdb-IDs (or similar identifiers) - those should be identical on all systems and would make it possible to import the playlist from somebody else and match it to the files on your system.

Edited by AllesMeins

Dibbes

Or you can use the SmartPlaylist plugin... 

Create a smartplaylist out of the series you have crossovers and sort by release date... have had no issues for the DC crossovers, nor with the Hawaii Five O - Magnum PI  crossover come to think of it...

Edited by Dibbes
  • Like 1

computerprep

Create a smartplaylist out of the series you have crossovers and sort by release date... have had no issues for the DC crossovers, nor with the Hawaii Five O - Magnum PI crossover come to think of it...

I discovered this community plugin recently and it has a lot of potential. I'm texting it with the Chicago Fire/Med/P.D. collection of series, and it looks promising.

Some bugs here and there, but works well for the average user.

Dibbes

I discovered this community plugin recently and it has a lot of potential. I'm texting it with the Chicago Fire/Med/P.D. collection of series, and it looks promising.

Let us know if you have any playback/access issues when a library scan is running while this plugin is install with some lists...

• 11 months later...
Mattleafs1990
On 17/03/2020 at 17:42, computerprep said:

On 17/03/2020 at 17:25, Dibbes said:

Create a smartplaylist out of the series you have crossovers and sort by release date... have had no issues for the DC crossovers, nor with the Hawaii Five O - Magnum PI  crossover come to think of it...

How well did this pluggin work for the crossover shows 

computerprep
8 minutes ago, Mattleafs1990 said:

How well did this pluggin work for the crossover shows 

Was too buggy, too much of a hassle for my time. Good concept and was manageable until one or another server update basically broke it enough that I gave up and removed it. But that was about a year ago, so it might be worth trying again.

rbjtech

I ended up writing a script which creates .strm files (with associated .jpg's), and adds them as fake 'specials' in Season 0.

The reason this works now is because the latest Beta actually honours the special positioning (and plays it in sequence + adds to 'Next Up' etc) - on the current Release it would ignore the specials... making the entire venture pointless.

The part I haven't got around to automating yet is the API (or modifying the NFO) required to update the special item metadata to display in the right playback sequence - but this is easily done manually by just adding the 'Special' metadata to identify what episode to play before. (see below for an example of how it looks).

The #1 issue with automating any of this is of course there is no REFERENCE or ONLINE metadata to grab.  I solved this by creating my own lookup locally, so I can recreate easily on a library re-build etc.  Unless you automate it - manually creating the links are possible - but are potentially wiped out with a db refresh etc - so be wary of this.

Capture1.thumb.PNG.a6bad5a51892e12327887af2273e2c1c.PNG

Capture2.thumb.PNG.7b934da7ab64295ade24d71d61eb4014.PNG

Capture3.PNG.6bf30786d5b50d478c332250d20bc0cb.PNG

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1