Music - Performers and other musings

Vicpa

Hi All,

I have been playing around with some enhancements to music metadata. Two areas of interest for me are capturing performer credits and original release year. The classical  fans seem pretty keen on getting performer credits, but I think it is of value to a broader audience as well. I particularly like it for my jazz collection.

The other "Original Year" in Picard speak makes sense to me. It is of more interest to me to know when an album was released rather than the cd etc. I know you can change the tags via scripts etc, but I would prefer to keep the tags correct and capture the original year and then have Time Lord or somebody give folks the option.

Being fearless (sure others would say reckless or clueless :))​ I made some changes and have been running a mod version of the server for sometime. So I thought I would  throw the concept out there to see if there was any interest.

56d195811373f_Miles4.png

Some obvious issues aside. This has been working pretty well for me.

Anyway thoughts comments. Maybe we can get a coherent request together for a feature request.

Thanks

-Vicpa

@@ginjaninja,@FrostByte,@gcoupe, and the emby community at large!!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

ginjaninja

i agree that original release year is of much more interest than media release year (at least for the music i listen to)...ive been changing the standard year tags to match original release year for some time..

maybe if there is a consensus on a new tag for original release year....it might take precedence over the standard year tag when present.

performers and composers are quite apparent now on alot of musicbrainz albums, and i would like to see them on my music, but i dont think picard is adding them to the tags...maybe i need a custom picard script.

Hi

I use Picard and if the data is there it seems to capture it. I use this plugin However.

56d1fd3b9bcbc_picrad2.png

the tags look then look like this

56d1fd70136c5_picard1.png

That is what I am capturing in emby.

-Vicpa

FrostByte

Think I'm confused, though that isn't hard to do :)  I always enter the original release year of an album into the id3tags and then Emby seems to use that for everything

jamvids

Hi, I asked a question a bit back about Picard, and got the usual music question silence. What version of windows/picard are you using. Since I updated to windows 10 the lastfm plugin isn't working on my machines. They are there in the options but aren't working.

Any Ideas

Please

Edited by jamvids

Hi

I am using the latest nightly build 1.4 dated 2/19. Don't use the lastfm plugin, sorrry, so can't say if it is working or not.

What are your thoughts on Release Date vs Originaldate?

jamvids

Yeah, I would love original year to be used, performers (though that has seemed to go as well in picard) and also release type. I have been hoarding old CD singles and CD's for FLAC and some of the artist pages are getting a bit noisy. Would love to see it split up a bit i.e. Singles, Albums, Compilations (or VA), Soundtracks. I would also love an "Artist" and a "Person" to be the same thing. i.e. Alice Cooper is an actor and an artist. 

Any Picard tips would be greatly received. It was working great once. 

Hi @@jamvids

I have opted to use Picard pretty much out of the box. Default naming string, ";" separator, and file structure. I rip my stuff to a temp directory. Then under Options I choose Rename, Move and Save tags. I do use the following plugins, Album Artist Website, fanart.tv cover art, feat. Artists  Removed, Sort Multi-Value tags and Standardize performers.

With the recent improvements in the handling of multiple artists, emby overall does a nice job of importing the data (my opinion and thanks to the dev team :)​).  Luke was great and added some additional tags conductor, lyricist and writer.

That is why I have thrown out the topic of "originalyear" it would be great to have that as an addition data element.

I agree that it would be nice to combine "person" and "artist" although I understand the initial reluctance to do so. I hope to come up with a POC for Luke that shows it is not as bad as initially feared. (Lots of dups I believe is the concern and is a valid one)

-Vicpa

jamvids

Yeah, I have thought that myself, my head never stops thinking, and as long as I'm awake I'm using Emby. I am constantly surrounded by music.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

jamvids

Ahh, cheers for the advice. It was the two "relationship" boxes for performers etc, lastfm genre plugin still not working though. Not an emby issue so will do some digging elsewhere.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

ginjaninja

I have been hoarding old CD singles and CD's for FLAC and some of the artist pages are getting a bit noisy. Would love to see it split up a bit i.e. Singles, Albums, Compilations (or VA), Soundtracks. 

might want to upvote this request

FrostByte

Was support for multiple Album Artists ever added?  Maybe I fell asleep and it was added. 

With the recent improvements in the handling of multiple artists, emby overall does a nice job of importing the data (my opinion and thanks to the dev team :)​).  Luke was great and added some additional tags conductor, lyricist and writer.

I've got several CDs where there are 2 album artists and mbz doesn't use VA for 2 artists it seems.  Emby forces me to choose between the two because it ignores whichever separator I choose in that field.  For example this album is one of mine

http://musicbrainz.org/release-group/28129af8-25e1-36e6-a0f1-e8f0fa5779cf

Edited by FrostByte

ginjaninja

Was support for multiple Album Artists ever added? Maybe I fell asleep and it was added.

I've got several CDs where there are 2 album artists and mbz doesn't use VA for 2 artists it seems. Emby forces me to choose between the two because it ignores whichever separator I choose in that field. For example this album is one of mine

http://musicbrainz.org/release-group/28129af8-25e1-36e6-a0f1-e8f0fa5779cf

I think multiple album artist design has gone around the houses over the years...currently for me that album shows the two album artists in album view. Fwiw i have the albumartists (plural) tag populated by picard with a ; separator.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 10 months later...
10sewalz

I was looking at Vicpa's original post at the top and I think that would be great to have!  It would be fun to see band credits and be able to select one and then see everything that person did (that's in our collection) for both the musik and video world.   I also agree that recording date is much more meaningful than the media release date.