Should my Emby on Kodi install on my Shield be showing as 5.92GB?

hifiaudio2
Go to solution Solved by Angelblue05,

hifiaudio2

I am running the latest play store Kodi 16 (this was doing the same thing on Isengard as well)  and Emby for Kodi 2.2.4 and the Arctic Zephyr, from ashes skin  In the apps section of the Shield,  it reports Kodi as being 5.93GB.  Given the small size of the Shield drive this is concerning, and I am not sure why it would do this anyway.  All the media is stored on a Windows server 2012 network storage.  

Thoughts?

xnappo

Well, if you have a large library, there is a lot of background art.   My library art stands around 2GB or art.  How many movies/shows do you have?  There are ways to put the data on a USB stick...

Edited by xnappo

Angelblue05

You can probably run the cache artwork to kodi via launching the emby for kodi add-on. This should start your cached thumbnails folder fresh, and only re-cache the artwork that's still being used (posters and backdrops).

hifiaudio2

So over time everytime I look at artwork Kodi caches that all locally on the Shield?  I would have figured it pulls from the server when it needs it and leaves it there.  

hifiaudio2

I ran the cache to Kodi but it didnt change the 5.93GB reporting of the apps storage used on Android TV at all.  Should I just try the "clear data"  option in the settings in Android for the Kodi app?  Not sure what all that might delete.... all my settings? :(

KarlDag

That would make browsing slow

Not really.  I've never seen an Android Plex or Emby app reach such a huge size because of caching...  Sounds like Kodi caches way too many things, or doesn't clean itself up enough.

/disclaimer I have very little experience with Kodi

totalhavoc

I found that sometimes on my kodi boxes, windows and shields, when the plugin would update and want a database rebuild it would cache new images with different names. The thumbnail folder would literally double for each users after the database rebuild. I just started deleting the cache/thumbnail database and the thumbnail folder whenever the plugin wants a database rebuild. 

• Like 1

totalhavoc

I ran the cache to Kodi but it didnt change the 5.93GB reporting of the apps storage used on Android TV at all.  Should I just try the "clear data"  option in the settings in Android for the Kodi app?  Not sure what all that might delete.... all my settings? :(

if you did that all your settings would be cleared. I would suggests deleting the textures.db file and the thumbnails folder. Then rebuild you kodi database using the plugin. 

• Solution
Angelblue05

I found that sometimes on my kodi boxes, windows and shields, when the plugin would update and want a database rebuild it would cache new images with different names. The thumbnail folder would literally double for each users after the database rebuild. I just started deleting the cache/thumbnail database and the thumbnail folder whenever the plugin wants a database rebuild. 

Indeed. I will add the option when resetting the database to delete the cache/texture13.db database. We only delete cached artwork if the artwork was replaced in emby or the item removed from your emby library.

• Like 2