Migrating from MB2 to MB3

hansolo77

hansolo77

I took the plunge and decided to finally upgrade to MB3.  I took the advice from my other thread and started out simple by installing the Server side of things first.  I tried to first see if I could manage to somehome installed the required .net 4.5 on my WHS (v1) but alas even a manual download/install failed saying it was incompatible.  So I was forced to installed the SERVER on my CLIENT machine.  I was really hoping I wouldn't have had to do that, since I don't like the idea of having my computer on running all kinds of background server-like stuff while I'm trying to do other things.  The increased load on my CPU and RAM isn't helping.  But that's what I have to live with I guess.  Overall, the install of the server was quick and painless.  As was all the configuring.  I even got a few plugins that I hope will help make things nicer.  I waited patiently (about 3 hours) for the server to collect all of my media information.  I even went through and manually updated some of the artwork, in a way to teach myself how that side of the thing works.

I then installed the CLIENT after uninstalling the old MB2.  To my dismay, I've discovered the "ImagesByName" feature doesn't work.  I had gone into the Server settings and pointed it to the same path I had used before, but it doesn't look like the client is displaying them.  I also noticed that EHS is sorting everything alphabetically.  I'd really like to have a more manual sort, so my TV Shows show up before the Movies.  Might be a thing I'll just have to get used to.  So, here are my questions, which you should have gotten if you read everything above..

1) How do I make MB3 work with the MB2 "ImagesByName" path, as it doesn't seem to be pulling any of that information.

2) Is there a way to manually organize/sort the EHS so I can place the TV Show "folder" first, and the Movie "folder" second?

3) I didn't mention this above, but does the "Trailers" plug in work?  It doesn't seem to be listing anything.

Thanks everybody who helped me before and for convincing me to go ahead with the upgrade.  I'm happy to say, I've already re-donated and have a spiffy GOLD icon on my Dashboard.  :)

you can use your mb2 Ibn path, however the structure of the people folder will need to be changed. See this blog post for information about the change:

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-3-new-server-beta-released-30504922196/

You can change sort names in the metadata manager. trailers work. 

hansolo77

Ah ok cool.  I'll have to work on making the changes to the Ibn path tomorrow.  So what's the trick to make trailers work?

hansolo77

I looked around, but I still can't figure out how to manually organize the Media Library.  The only thing I found was a way to change the sort method, and then ascending or descending.  Nothing to just manually sort it.

hansolo77

I think I figured it out.. I just changed the sort name for everything into a numerical value.  So TV Shows is now listed with the sort name of "1" and Movies is "2" and Anime is "3", etc.  Works great.

BATTLE DONKEY

I looked around, but I still can't figure out how to manually organize the Media Library. The only thing I found was a way to change the sort method, and then ascending or descending. Nothing to just manually sort it.

To change the order of movies, tv shows, trailers, etc. Open up media browser in ur web browser. Select a collection and click the edit button. Ex. Movies, then edit, you will find a field called sort name. There you can give it a number like I did, so movies is 1, tv shows is 2, etc. You can also add your backdrops and icons by clicking images on the edit page and anything else you might be looking to change. Hope that helps and is what your looking for