Server Crashes During Kodi Scan

majorsl

majorsl

Well, I don't have a ton of information and the log file doesn't contain a crash.  It's more a "freeze".

Running the latest OS X server.  Mac OS X 10.11.3 w/16GB RAM.  Media is local storage to OS X Server.

I can browse/play media in a web browser with my Emby install. Everything seems to be there.

I added the latest Emby plugin to Kodi, I believe it is 2.2.4, and it began scanning my Library.  It successfully scanned movies, box sets, and just started "Gathering Information for TV Shows".  A few seconds later, it said it lost connection to the Emby server.

Emby on the Mac was still running but I was unable to Exit it.  The web portal was un-responsive.  I had to open up Activity Monitor and force-quit it.

I can see, right up to the end in the log, the client was pulling down data.  Here are the last two log lines:

2016-02-24 18:00:21.4701 Info HttpServer: HTTP HEAD http://10.0.1.200:8096/emby/Items/50de781e1b083e9b5ddbe0e5c4f95917/Images/Backdrop/0?MaxWidth=10000&MaxHeight=10000&Format=original&Tag=176176fc68f96af4985aebf5625073f4. UserAgent: Kodi/16.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) Ubuntu/15.10 App_Bitness/64 Version/16.0-Git:a5f3a99
2016-02-24 18:00:21.5034 Info HttpServer: HTTP HEAD http://10.0.1.200:8096/emby/Items/4a279736b15b06f1fe55613cebedaed2/Images/Backdrop/0?MaxWidth=10000&MaxHeight=10000&Format=original&Tag=06c4330b5ca2a2e3df881babf9044ce7. UserAgent: Kodi/16.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) Ubuntu/15.10 App_Bitness/64 Version/16.0-Git:a5f3a99

I re-opened Emby again and tried again (this time telling Kodi's Emby plug-in to completely reset the local database and then pull down from Emby.  Same freeze, same spot.

That's it.  I'm not really sure where to go next.

Any hints?

Angelblue05

Do you have a lot of shows? You could always try to lower the amount gathered from the server at once in the emby for kodi add-on settings > sync option and lower the number by 50.

I don't necessarily think your server is frozen. It's just busy gathering all your shows and it might be putting a little too much strain doing that task. Lowering the number should help. Let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

majorsl

Ah, could be, I have a crazy large TV Show collection.  I don't know if I have time to try again tonight, but will tomorrow and definitely will report back either way.  Thanks a ton for the quick reply!

• Like 1

majorsl

Same thing. I knocked it down to 100 items from 200. It timed out scanning in the same spot.  I've let the server sit idle now for 10 minutes after the failed scan with Kodi and it has yet to recover and even allow me into the web interface.

I doubt an i7 w/16GB of RAM would take this long to recover, something is clearly wedging it.

EDIT: Mentioned in my first post I was trying to switch from an existing install.  I renamed my .kodi folder (Linux) and let it create all new prefs.  Same thing.  It seems to get through movies, but is *possibly* failing at "Gathering Boxsets".  It seems to not get very far before jumping to TV Shows and timing out before it polls any.

Can boxsets be cleared or otherwise ignored - at least temporarily, I want them eventually.

EDIT2: It synced, I think, but it was a battle.

It did make it through the first run of movies, when I restarted Kodi, all the movies were there.  It did not appear to make it through TV Shows.

I restarted the server and Kodi.  Kodi came up, welcomed me to Emby, and only looked for changes for the Movies.  I then went into manual settings and did a manual sync.  It is now going through the TV shows with Emby server taking just a mere 3-6% of the CPU which is nice.

I'll test over the weekend, I have two more Kodi installs to convert if I decide to go with Emby, but I'm kinda skittish right now!  :lol:

Edited by majorsl

majorsl

Well, its still crashing during a full scan.  I've been testing this morning and it crashes on a full scan with a Windows client and a Linux client.  Interestingly, it was successful on two Mac OS X clients - worked perfectly.

I've captured and attached 3 log files:

1) Emby's Server log.

2) From OS X Activity Monitor, I sampled the frozen server process in case that has any clues.

3) The kodi log from the failed scan from Windows.

My apologies on the Kodi client log in #3, I did not have debug turned on.  I'll try a Linux client in a VM as a test in a little while and make sure debug is on and post that log if/when it fails.

Thank you for any help you might offer.

Archive.zip

Hi, can you perform a test and try removing the kodi plugin from emby server and seeing if the issue persists? thanks.

Angelblue05

The kodi plugin has nothing to do with the kodi's initial sync. Try lowering the number of items even more, to 50 or even 25.

@@Luke I think the index/jump method to process content in batch is putting too much of a strain on the server. Anything we can do? We can't go back to getting items one at a time, that's nuts.

Edited by Angelblue05

The kodi plugin has nothing to do with the kodi's initial sync. Try lowering the number of items even more, to 50 or even 25.

@@Luke I think the index/jump method to process content in batch is putting too much of a strain on the server. Anything we can do? We can't go back to getting items one at a time, that's nuts.

what do you mean by index/jump method to process content in batch is putting too much of a strain on the server? where is that?

Angelblue05

In the emby for kodi add-on, I use the index and limit for /users/Items to get more items at once from the server under a specific emby view. I just think the server doesn't perform the best when doing this. Is there a way to get all items in batches using something other than index+limit? It just seems to not perform all that well across servers (many users, especially with larger libraries have difficulties with this method) and had a more stable experience when we gathered one item at a time.

just make multiple requests using index + limit, that's the way the UI's do it so you should be able to do the same.

Angelblue05

I've seen server gather all movies, let's say 200items at a time, then on tv shows, the server becomes unresponsive even gathering 20shows at a time. It makes no sense as to why, but it happens. So is there a more reliable way to approach this?

Angelblue05

just make multiple requests using index + limit, that's the way the UI's do it so you should be able to do the same.

Sorry, missed your post. That's exactly what we do. Can you tell me, if there's extra fields requested and the type of field requested does not apply to the media type returned, can it cause issues (like the server becoming unresponsive)? Let me know.

Edited by Angelblue05

majorsl

Here's the promised debug log when it crashed.

I set the items for 20 in the plugin.

In the plugin I turned off feature to use the Kodi plugin on the server.  I had actually uninstalled that plugin from the server when I initially had my first issues up top and it didn't make a difference then.

Thanks folks!

kodi.log.zip

Angelblue05

Ok, it seems to be the artwork timing out. @@majorsl Try the following, in the add-on settings > sync options > limit artwork cache threads to 25. Try the sync again, it should complete.

Can you then confirm the artwork shows up instantly or if there's a delay? If there's a delay, can you provide your server log from the same timeframe as the Kodi initial sync?

@@Luke it seems to be an issue with artwork being requesting from the server. Is there any known issue that could cause this? There's possibly other recent related threads in our Kodi forums that seem to have artwork cache issues, yet nothing has changed in our artwork process for the past 2 months. It feels like the server is a bit slower at returning artwork when requested (note we are not requesting anything from the server at that time, only caching artwork, poster and main backdrop).

13:33:48 T:140645993727744   ERROR: CCurlFile::Exists - Failed: Timeout was reached(28) for http://{server}:8096/emby/Items/b7da85b35968fa57494627b89790d207/Images/Primary/0?MaxWidth=10000&MaxHeight=10000&Format=original&Tag=fd224eb04e63b6a2b418e35d378c4402
Edited by Angelblue05

majorsl

@@Angelblue05 that definitely did the trick. I also tested with leaving the max number of items to request at 200. It is something to do with the artwork caching.

I tested 3 Kodi clients:

- my original machine I did a full database reset and it completed successfully.

- same with my Linux VM which I reset Kodi completely on.

- I upgraded one of my house clients and that worked perfectly with the 25 limit setting as well.

I spot-checked artwork/metadata on all of them and nothing seems to be amiss. I didn't notice if there was a delay where it had to retrieve it after the initial sync, but my home network is gigabit - it could have happened so fast I didn't see it.

My immediate issue seems to be resolved, but if there is anything I can do to test now or in the future, don't hesitate to ask. I can always nuke that Linux VM and re-try, it'll be trivial.  Thank you both for all the help!

• Like 1