BUG: Evolution Kit not detected

Marc Morisse

Marc Morisse

Issue description:

When using a Samsung TV with Evolution Kit, only version of TV is detected and Evolution Kit is ignored.

Steps to reproduce:

- Switch on TV with Evolution Kit installed, configured and updated according to Samsung Instructions

- Start Emby for Samsung TV

- Go to Emby Menu -> Settings -> Log:

525 24/02/2016 11:37 Model Year is E

This is incorrect. E Model with Evolution Kit SEK-2000 should be Model Year H

My TV/HTS/BD Player model number:

Samsung UE55ES7000 ("E" Model) + Evolution Kit SEK-2000 ("H" Model)

My firmware version:

Other TVs etc. the issue has been reproduced on:

Don't know, but I suspect any Samsung TV with any applicable Evolution Kit

My Emby server version:

My current Emby Samsung client version:

Other Emby Samsung versions the issue can be reproduced in:

Any version I tried so from from Beta 2.0.x showed the same problem

Supporting information to include logs and pictures where applicable:

525 24/02/2016 11:37 Model Year is E

FrostByte

I believe cmcg is the man and has hooked us up already :)

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/SamsungSmartTV/commit/530f6c50dee9139cd6784ceac462d627acc2d370

@@cmcg I believe there may be a slight bug (if you even want to call it that) because I don't believe there was an evokit for D-series TVs.  The E override is probably not needed (unless you had other reasons to add it)

SEK-1000 uses 2013 SmartHub for E-series TVs only

SEK-2000 uses 2014 SmartHub for E and F-series TVs

Edited by FrostByte

Yes, I appreciate that. But we spend a lot over time talking about what file types get transcoded by various models so it might be useful for us to be able to spoof lower models as well as higher.

• Like 1

FrostByte

Yes, I appreciate that. But we spend a lot over time talking about what file types get transcoded by various models so it might be useful for us to be able to spoof lower models as well as higher.

Ahh, that makes sense.  Doesn't have to be just for SEK owners to be used for testing purposes

FrostByte

Unless you think I should rephrase the setting to say SEK-1000 or SEK-2000 is installed? Might be better.

It could be added if nothing else, not sure everyone knows that a SEK-2000 is equivalent to a 2014 H-series TV (though you would think they did some research before purchasing).  Or, even just mentioned in the comments.  Whichever way makes more sense, I don't think there are that many of us ;)

Edit: Some people may wonder what that option is for though unless you say it was designed for evokits.  Others can just change it at their own risk

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

Marc Morisse

Hi guys, thanks a lot for the fix, I'd love to confirm it for you in my configuration but how do I install from github, or will you post on the beta IP for all to enjoy?

Marc Morisse

For how to call the option, I think SEK-1000, SEK-2000,... makes more sense because people know which kit they bought and installed but not necessary which F or H level it brings their model, and this could still be seen in log anyway, right?

BTW, I think there are also SEK-2500 and SEK-3000 available, but not sure what level they bring which TVs

• Like 1

FrostByte

The SEK2500 is only for the S9 and F9000 TVs using 2014 SmartHub.  I suppose that could be added to the comment since the code is already there.  The SEK3000 was supposed to be for the 2015 SmartHub but according to Avsforum there were only a very few made and only released in South Korea.  Good luck getting one of those :)

There won't be any more evokits for non-Tizen TVs

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1452218907

​

Edited by FrostByte

Marc Morisse

Hi guys, thanks a lot for the fix, I'd love to confirm it for you in my configuration but how do I install from github, or will you post on the beta IP for all to enjoy?

Sorry to nag, again, I would love to confirm this bug is solved, but not on stable or beta release yet (still 2.1.3) and no idea how to confirm using github file! Please explain or post on beta IP?

Sorry for the delay Marc. I normally have a more regular beta release schedule. This one is a bit of a beast so small enhancements like this one are being held back a little. I'll post in this thread when the release comes. I could maybe put it out as an alpha with some known issues.

FrostByte

Normally these aren't marked completed until ready to be released, maybe make it "in progress".   I can wait until everything is ready :)

Edited by FrostByte

Marc Morisse

I appreciate the back "In progress", real great help guys LOL

Seriously, I am a SW programmer, so I guess I could manage to grab it from Github, if only I had any clue how to load on the Samsung TV.

Any instruction anywhere how to load from USB or something?

FrostByte

We probably need some instructions added to the pinned installation post on loading from usb, but here is a thread you can look at.  How to do it is in there.

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/18081-having-trouble-re-loading-the-app/

The zip is of course here:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/SamsungSmartTV

BTW: I don't believe you can actually install from usb, I think it sort of runs off the usb and requires the usb be in there at all times.  Otherwise you could set up your own IP to install from

Edited by FrostByte

Marc Morisse

Just to let you guys know: Downloaded 2.2.Dev, decompressed in MediaBrowser3 folder on a fat32 USB

Start TV, wait few seconds, insert USB, cancel Photo/video menu -> Start Smarthub -> Second Emby is here with USB symbol

Run -> basic IP/user setup, Settings -> Evokit = SEK-2000, Restart.

Works like a charm: Log -> Override Model: H.

Is it me, or it seems that now caching does its work (Was this disabled on a E model?)

Anything I can test to verify that I now have a real H model instead of my old H model? Be my guest :-)

If not, I will wait for the official next beta (with hopefully support for the pointer remote, would be real cool :-)

Edited by Marc Morisse

FrostByte

The main thing the model really does is it figures which files can play on your device (see GuiPlayer_TranscodeParams.js) without transcoding.  You could try playing something that is supported in your SEK-2000 users manual that isn't supported on your TV's user manual.  H265 would be something you could try.

• 3 months later...
FrostByte

This can probably be closed now.  Request appears to be working for me with version 2.2.0a beta.  Thanks

I need to still do more testing for the different HEVC/H265 levels as the manual doesn't specify the max level supported.  It only specifies the max level for AVC/H264 and the app currently transcodes anything above 4.1 even for H265

Below is the link to original request by myself for the same thing if you need to close that one also

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/17195-feature-request/page-5&do=findComment&comment=263154

5755ccf0c5c3b_hevc.jpg

Edited by FrostByte