Movies by Genre Folder and Genre Art

moviefan
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

moviefan

I mentioned this in the collections thread but since it is really a separate issue I thought I would create a separate topic to keep the discussion relevant.

After a recent update, the Movies by Genre folder that shows in Emby for WMC doesn't reflect the pictures stored within the ImagesByName\General\Movies By Genre folder.   The folder and background images are now blank.

Also, the individual Genres do not reflect the images stored within the ImagesByName\Genre\ directories for each genre.

Would be nice to be able to customize these once again.

moviefan

Okay that is helpful although, admittedly, I don't dislike the images in the Web format when they are displayed that way sine I am sitting much closer.   But I suppose I could some sort of happy medium here.  It's just weird that it all of the sudden changed recently where it doesn't use the metadata folder anymore I've been using for so long.

Do you have another fix for the Movies By Genre folder art?

• 4 weeks later...
lang-server

Nope, I just updated to the newest release and genre art icon is blank.

Any thoughts ? I would like this fixed..

Ian-Highlander

I'm using 3.0.299.0 EMC and 3.0.5882.0 server and all genre images are working as expected for me.

You need to have a seperate folder for each genre in /metadata/general/

So mine for example

metadata/general/action/folder.jpg

metadata/general/action/thumb.jpg

metadata/general/action/background.jpg

metadata/general/adventure/folder.jpg

metadata/general/adventure/thumb.jpg

metadata/general/adventure/background.jpg

etc etc

I'm also missing that Movies by Genre icon.  It's been a blank little box for months it seems.  I've tried some things to bring it back but to no avail.  

I'm using Legacy Browsing non-EHS fwiw but that shouldn't make a difference.  Legacy Browsing works for me and I just like it better than the other views.

All the other icons show up properly and the Movies by Genre icon used to show up up until a few months ago, so I know the artwork is there. 

There even doesn't seem to be a way to add/edit images for the "Movies by Genre" icon via the web-browser interface which is frustrating especially when that's doable for "Movies", "Collections", "TV Series", "Channels" and the various individual genres themselves.

Is there some way of resolving this?

moviefan

FYI, for me the issue turned out to be that my MetaData path was changed at some point to go to the server default and this is not where my Movies By Genre art was.

Interestingly, all of the other selections still continued to work but for some reason not this one.

When I discovered this and set the Metadata path back to the right location my custom artwork began to work once again.

I am not sure what caused the path to change.  I certainly didn't change it on my own so either an upgrade did it or it somehow changed on its own when the network drive it points to was temporarily unavailable.

Edited by moviefan
  • Like 1

lang-server

Once again, as Morbo states, we are talking about the top-level icon for Genre which is NOW blank. I understand they changed the "individual" genre poster/backgrounds to the "metapath" folder. Don't think I remember an announcement on that or why they couldn't have just moved the old folder to the new one or at least an option.

Can we get an answer on this!

moviefan

@@lang-server I am not sure what you mean by the top-level icon for Genre; but in my system "Movies By Genre" is handled by placing images in the metadata path folder  \ImagesByName\General\Movies By Genre

Edited by moviefan
  • Like 1

Yeah, I have the icon artwork in the "\ImagesByName\General\Movies By Genre" folder but a while ago it just stopped showing up.  See the attached screen grab.....

post-1641-0-45466800-1459655171_thumb.jpg

Yeah, I have the icon artwork in the "\ImagesByName\General\Movies By Genre" folder but a while ago it just stopped showing up.  See the attached screen grab.....

And is that where your "Metadata Path" on the server is pointing to?

lang-server

I think I see the problem, when I updated the server software to the latest release (I was behind quite a few versions), the "internal" server setting for metadata NOW defaults to ...\metapath\...  folders, instead of the original ..\\imagesbyname\... folders, ( I didn't read the response from "moviefan correctly)... hence why all my genre icons changed to the defaults in the ..\\metapath\..  I changed the server to point back to the ..\\imagesbyname\ folder and now all is well.

well done. Apologies for the disruption. We had to remove some hidden config switches that some were using in order to make it easier to help people. We don't intend to ever make that kind of change again. Thanks for your patience.

This fix worked for me too.  My Metadata Path entry was blank but after I pointed it to the ImagesByName folder it all started to work properly again.  Thanks for the info.

• 3 weeks later...
lurch9366

You customize genre images with the web client.  Just click "Edit Images".

I do not see the movies by genre on the web client. Only in emby for wmc. It is also not in metadata manager. When I added a "Movies by Genre" folder to the "C:\Users\Lurch\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\root\default" it added a second "Movies by Genre" folder which I was able to customize but it did not contain any movies. Is there a way to customize without pointing back to the old IBN folder?   

I do not see the movies by genre on the web client. Only in emby for wmc. It is also not in metadata manager. When I added a "Movies by Genre" folder to the "C:\Users\Lurch\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\root\default" it added a second "Movies by Genre" folder which I was able to customize but it did not contain any movies. Is there a way to customize without pointing back to the old IBN folder?   

As mentioned a couple times in this thread, that image needs to go in "[metadata path]\General\Movies by Genre\"

• Like 1

lurch9366

As mentioned a couple times in this thread, that image needs to go in "[metadata path]\General\Movies by Genre\"

Thank you ebr. Not sure how I missed it. 

RobsterUK

Sorry to jump in on your thread @@moviefan but I didn't want to start a new topic for basically the same thing.

I have not been using the 'Movies by Genre' view, but wanted to look into it.
Once enabled in Emby for WMC I do not have any associated metadata/images for this view.

I have checked the MetaData Manager server side but there is no entry for it there.

I have the server running on a Synology NAS, so the folder structure is slightly different.

The attachment should outline all of this.

57210915b666c_Genre.jpg

So if I need to add backdrop or poster images for 'Movies by Genre' which folder do I need to put them in?

Does it just need to go into the 'Genre' folder? & what format does it need to be in? For the folder icon should it be poster.jpg, for background - backdrop.jpg?

If it would be better to start a new thread please tell me too!!

• 2 months later...
moviefan

This issue has crept up again.  The fix from before  is not working as the path is still set correctly, but Emby for WMC is not pulling the images.

moviefan

Anyone else having this issue?

Has Movies By Genre changed to no longer point to this location anymore?

Ian-Highlander

I don't normally use it so I just enabled it to check. Works fine on mine although I'm out of date on the server version a bit.

Server version: 3.0.5972.0

EMC version: 3.0.307.0

• 2 months later...
moviefan

@@ebr can you spot what I'm doing wrong?  This hasn't been working for me for months.

Here is my path:

57ed9d55381c2_ScreenShot20160929at40003P

And here is the folder view of my Movies By Genre folder from the server, logged in with the user the Emby service runs as:

57ed9da3b7563_ScreenShot20160929at40234P

There's nothing else to it right?  Don't understand what I am missing.

It seems like all of the other images at this point are now pulling from wherever the web client is storing them.  This includes the Genre Icons themselves.  But I have a way of fixing all of these because they are directly editable within the web client.  This seems to be the only one I don't have access to there and cannot for the life of me figure out how to fix it.