ronvp
Go to solution Solved by ronvp,

the xml file is just an output from our internal database. it's also an input if you change the contents of the file. but deleting the file has no effect. just use the web interface and you won't have to worry about it.

no bulk editing yet.

Here is what I found:

1. After I fixed and manually locked the Genre metadata for each movie and then re-installed Genre Cleaner. The Genre cleaner was non functional. So I unlocked the genre metadata for a few movies and then the Genre Cleaner work as designed.
  2. With the Genre cleaner installed I did a manual refresh in the web client metadata editor on a few movies and all genres are wiped from the movie.xml file. I assume this is because the manual refresh pulls the genres unparsed as a single group and I do not have the genre cleaner configured with a un-parsed genre (like "Action,Adventure,War") and because the genre cleaner works by modifying the movie.xml file, it just causes the genres to be wiped completely.
  3. I uninstalled the Genre Cleaner and did a manual refresh from the webclient metadata editor and it pulls the genres as a single un-parsed group (Action, Adventure, War).
  4. I then proceeded to do the above on my brothers machine and he has exactly the same issues.

Conclusion:

• If the Genres are locked in the web client metadata editor then the Genre Cleaner does not work because it can not modify the movie.xml
  • If the Genres are not locked then one can not use the manual refresh for that specific movie or the genres will be inserted in the movie.xml file as a single group.
  • Since this last issue appears on several server machines, there appears to be a bug with pulling/parsing Genre metadata if you do a manual refresh.
  • If you use the Genre Cleaner, you can not lock the Genre metadata for the movies that you like to see the Genre Cleaner to work on. The ability to manually disable the genre cleaner for a specific movie can either regarded as a feature.
Edited by ronvp

• If the Genres are locked in the web client metadata editor then the Genre Cleaner does not work because it can not modify the movie.xml

This is by design.  If you lock a metadata field, that means we are not supposed to modify it - from anywhere.

I just deleted my genres for 300 (2007) in Metadata Manager and saved it. Here is the TMDB ID as a source reference:

http://www.themoviedb.org/movie/1271

Then I checked the movie.xml and they were removed as expected.

Then I clicked Refesh Metadata and the genres are back as follows for movie.xml:

<Genres>
    <Genre>Action</Genre>
    <Genre>Drama</Genre>
    <Genre>History</Genre>
    <Genre>War</Genre>
 </Genres>
 <Genre>Action|Drama|History|War</Genre>

Note how the genres are grouped on the last line with the pipe "|" delimiter. This must be something that MBS is scripted to do as it is not in the source.

Here is the "300 (2007).nfo" (I am also using the "Xbmc metadata saver" plugin):

<genre>Action</genre>
 <genre>Drama</genre>
 <genre>History</genre>
 <genre>War</genre>

I have Genre Cleaner installed although it is not configured to manipulate any movie genres and none of the MBS metadata settings are disabled.

Lets start with the basics, what is the TMDB id you have for 300?

Edited by cylon

everything looks normal there. we save genres in two different xml nodes, the piped one is for mb2 compatibility, but i'll remove that eventually.

• Solution

I found the issue. It repeats each and every time on each movie.  I use mostly MP4 files all complete with full Metadata, including the Genres. When I delete the Genres from the MP4 metadata, it all works perfectly. So somehow, when you have the Genres inside the MP4 metadata, it is pulled by the manual refresh and then it is not parsed causing the Genres to show as a single line. Anyway this can be fixed?