ronvp
Go to solution Solved by ronvp,

you should remove the plugin, and refresh one of the affected movies from the edit page. then tell me if the problem persists, and if so, provide a detailed example.

We do and we have ways of specifying multiple genres. But it sounds like either a provider or your XML is stuffing multiple genres into a single genre field. Don't shoot us over bad data.

you should remove the plugin, and refresh one of the affected movies from the edit page. then tell me if the problem persists, and if so, provide a detailed example.

Luke, I uninstalled Genre Cleaner, and refreshed the Movie "300".  This is copied direct from the movie.xml file immendiatlke following the refresh

<Genres>

<Genre>Action,Fantasy,War</Genre>

</Genres>

<Genre>Action,Fantasy,War</Genre>

Here is the same thing for Armageddon"

<Genres>

<Genre>Action,Adventure,Sci-Fi,Thriller</Genre>

</Genres>

<Genre>Action,Adventure,Sci-Fi,Thriller</Genre>

This one is for ""Charlie Wilsons War and that one works correctly..

<Genres>

<Genre>Drama</Genre>

<Genre>War</Genre>

</Genres>

<Genre>Drama|War</Genre>

Please let me know what else you need..

WWWestern
Somewhat similar phenomenon occurs with the iТunes trailers. Many movies has the genre "Action and Adventure". It was expected, that " and " will be interpreted as a delimiter, but the parser does not pay attention to it.

The one you say works doesn't look right either...

Ebr, what does a good one suppose to look like? Where is the problem coming from? I only use the MB scrapers..

Edited by ronvp

Somewhat similar phenomenon occurs with the iТunes trailers. Many movies has the genre "Action and Adventure". It was expected, that " and " will be interpreted as a delimiter, but the parser does not pay attention to it.

No, I don't think that is valid.  "Action and Adventure" is a valid genre on its own.  Used a lot.

Luke, I uninstalled Genre Cleaner, and refreshed the Movie "300".  This is copied direct from the movie.xml file immendiatlke following the refresh

Action,Fantasy,War

Action,Fantasy,War

Action,Adventure,Sci-Fi,Thriller

Drama

War

Drama|War

The one you say works doesn't look right either...

Not sure where the problem is coming from.  That logic has been working for a while so we'll have to investigate it.

I was referring to this:

<Genre>Drama|War</Genre>

I would expect that to be broken out.  Plus it was outside of the main "Genres" tag.

Action,Fantasy,War

Action,Fantasy,War

Drama

War

Drama|War

I cannot reproduce this. After refreshing 300 I end up with

Action
    Drama
    History
    War
    Fantasy

Action|Drama|History|War|Fantasy

Are you 100% sure you don't have a copy of MCM or MetaB somewhere that is actually writing these files too...?

Are you 100% sure you don't have a copy of MCM or MetaB somewhere that is actually writing these files too...?

Let me check, I had been playing with Plex and XBMC and uninstalled these. maybe there is a scraper still being loaded

Let me check, I had been playing with Plex and XBMC and uninstalled these. maybe there is a scraper still being loaded

I can not find any dll's or other leftovers from other scrapers but I found maybe a indicator for the issue. I uninstalled MB server and deleted the cache during the uninstall. I then I reinstalled MB Server,  and then the genres do show up correctly, then with a manual refresh of the individual movie, the problem returns..Is there some other cache that I may need to delete?

I cannot find any leftover dll's or scrapers. but did notice that if I uninstall MB server, delete the cache as part of the uninstall and then re-install MB server, the genres show up correctly, but as soon as I hit a manual refresh, it is all messed up again..

WWWestern

Is there some other cache that I may need to delete?

Get the tmdb id of the film, then find folder /data/tmdb-movies/%tmdb_id% where %tmdb_id% is tmdb id of the film. Anayze *.jason file(s). 

Normally there should be substring like this (exemple for tmdb id 64686):

"genres":[{"id":28,"name":"Action"},{"id":12,"name":"Adventure"},{"id":18,"name":"Drama"},{"id":14,"name":"Fantasy"}],

Share with us their content. 

If you delete them, refresh meta for movie.

Edited by WWWestern

This is for movie ID:1271.

There are 2 files:  "eng.json" and "default.json".  Both have the following Genre strings:

"genres":[{"id":28,"name":"Action"},{"id":18,"name":"Drama"},{"id":36,"name":"History"},{"id":10752,"name":"War"}

These are different from what is pulled if I manually refresh the same movie. it actually pulls in a single genre string "Action,Fantasy,War" and deletes the others from the movie.xml file

I deleted both files and then did a refresh on just the single movie. Same issue is back..and it is only happening if I manually refresh a single movie in the metadata manager. And it is for every single movie.

Yesterday I visited my brother, and he has exactly the same problem. The genres are messed up in the movie.xml file as soon as you refresh a single movie manually from the metadata editor and it is for each and every movie.

Edited by ronvp

Luke, thanks, I note that even if I completely remove the movie.xml file for that movie and do a manual refresh, the bad genres keep coming back. is this coming from a cached file?  I note that I have most my movies in mp4 files with the genres in the metadata inside the mp4. is the data pulling from mp4 files or only from the web?

This morning I decided to bite the bullet and go through each file and make sure the genres are good and then lock the genre for that file. Is there any way to lock/unlock all genres at once?

Luke, I tried doing what you suggested (use the editor, deleted all genres, click save and then added the genres back in using the editor), no luck. I am now begining to think that my Raid drive's cache is causing some issues..but that really should not happen.

Also 2 more things;

1 - when I manually add a Genre using the editor, It sometimes it is inserted alphabetically, and sometimes it is not and just added on the bottom. Could this signal some misaligned data?

2 - I noticed duplication of Genres in the clients. I then started digging and found a few movies that had the same genre listed twice. Not sure if that really needs fixing, since it should normally not happen..but it does create some very strange effects..

the bad data likely came from when you had another scraper in use.

however, i just looked at the code and the refresh isn't replacing genres that are already there. so that's why the refresh isn't fixing them. it's just keeping your bad data as it is. this will be fixed for the next release. in the meantime you can manually fix by first removing all genres using the editor, saving, and then refreshing from the edit page.

Strange,, adding a Genre in the Web client editor will order them alphabetically, maybe it is ".net" doing it..  Anyway, I found the issue with the genres not updating and keep reverting back.. I deleted all "MBMovie.Json" files in the individual movie folders and now the problem is gone all is back to normal. Just out of curiosity, where did they come from? left over from a older version?

those are from mb2 and/or the very early days of mb3 and deleting them will no have no impact. but you can certainly delete them to keep your folders clean.